Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

10-18-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilian View Post
Its going to fail...Not because there's no interest. Its going to fail because there's no interest in "renting" content.
I actually thought there would be interest in being able to spend small amounts of RP or IP to get something cool for the holiday. Do you think that is fundamentally wrong, or does that make sense, but the problem that there is not also the option to buy it permanently for a reasonable price?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Just A Game Brah

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Getting ready for an IPO? Need to shore up those YOY QOQ numbers?

Greed knows no bounds.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SharkbaitBruhaha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2012

You have too many variables. You are now testing both rental sales AND ward skins. Any 6th grade science student knows part of an experiment is using one variable to accurately test a hypothesis. I was a political science major and I know this.

If your experiment is to test skins for wards then test it using the way they would actually be implemented to get accurate results.

Edit: I like that Riot is trying new things, thanks for at least gathering feedback from the playerbase. No matter how much I disagree with things you guys do, you're never wrong when you gather player feedback. Good on you Hippalus.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

perry mason1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2012

"The goal is to see is permanent ward skins are a good idea."

Yes, because rental skins would be a great way to see if people want skins permanently. Why wouldn't we want permanent content?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UNPGriff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

10-18-2012

I understand you are testing and all, but I don't think people want to spend RP on rental wards. Like If you made IP for rental and RP for permanent I could understand. I wouldn't buy, but I would see what you are going with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SharkPiledriver

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.
Heres your data: Go to hell.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grim Reaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xam Nozid View Post
These are my main concerns with your model.

1. Your results will not be accurate as many people, including myself, will not buy temporary ward skins because ip/rp are very scarce resources that enable us to buy cool things such as permanent skins and champions and runes. If we spend these resources on a temporary product, we will not be able to buy the above mentioned Riot permanent products.

2. Why couldn't you just create a poll on the forums and ask about the general opinion about permanent ward skins? Judging from all the downvotes on your threads/posts, people are not liking the idea of making skin wards temporary. In fact, they are angry because they want them to be permanent.

3. The reasoning for making ward skins temporary because people might not like them is a poor one based on a business point of view. By making a decision based on such a situation, you are making Riot lose money. Riot has already used up capital and labor to make these ward skins. You might as well sell these skins permanently for a higher price and never put them in the store again. People that will like the skins will buy them permanently while others won't. This will at least attract players into buying the skins more as they are A) a new kind of skin B)limited edition, and will allow Riot to get back some of the investments put into these skins. By making them temporary, you are pushing consumers that would be interested in these skins away.

4.) You have also mentioned that there is no good way to remove the ward skins from people that have purchased them. Why would people that spent rp to have these ward skins permanently want to have them removed. People will spend rp on things that they like, such as champions,skins, etc.. If they really don't like what they bought, they can always refund it.. But since this is a ward skin, and that you basically see everything you are paying for, I don't see how someone can buy the ward skin and say I hate it. I understand for skins because you can't really see everything about the skin except for the splash art, but for ward skins, you see everything you are paying for.
Really well written,


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KRYPTØNITE

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flynt View Post
He means work as in WILL PEOPLE BUY THIS?

Not DO THESE FUNCTION?
No **** people would buy them if they were permanent. A day ago, I was happy when I heard about these, now I am angry. Not buying any unless they get changed to permanent.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foolish Goat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I actually thought there would be interest in being able to spend small amounts of RP or IP to get something cool for the holiday. Do you think that is fundamentally wrong, or does that make sense, but the problem that there is not also the option to buy it permanently for a reasonable price?
Definitely the latter. People want an option to buy it permanently, or at least for one year, and not for the price of four legendary skins.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NordicBeserkr

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.
I really don't see the problem with people having permanent ward skins if they aren't very successful. It doesn't matter if the experiment "failed" in the sense that not a lot of people bought it.

You've already made the content, so even if 2000 players buy the content permanently, that's $10,000 made if you sell the wards for 650RP. And that's 2000 people that are satisfied with a product your company made, and they're happy because they got something they wanted.

Hippalus, you just need to stop posting completely. Seriously. Almost everything you say is just contradicting yourself, or it just makes Riot sound like a greedy corporation with no foresight.