Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

10-18-2012
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

alpha quail

10-18-2012

Using it to test is fine, but what guarantee do we have that future purchases won't be temporary as well?

Jack of Death

10-18-2012

Make them permanent.

No seriously. You're saying it as if it's an "experiment", but did you consider that buying the bat ward for example costs you MORE than 8000 RP!!!!(!) to have it for the year?

That's simply just horrible and comes off as extremely greedy.

Also what do you mean you don't want players to have them all year long because it would be out of place, when you're selling them for a year max anyway?

Does that mean I can't use my Frankentibbers Annie if it's not Halloween cuz it would be out of place?

Makes absolutely no sense and this whole thing is just effed. I'm sure that a lot of players including me hate the "renting" model. It's something that should have never happened.

The only reason I spent around $1.5k on this game so far is because I KEEP what I buy, FOREVER. If I don't there's absolutely no reason to ever buy anything again. And to think I was excited about these ward skins.

The fun part is owning something so collectible as a ward skin, and showing it off whenever it's NOT Halloween. It makes you feel good, it makes other players be like "wow cool", etc.

None of that is possible now.

Fugis

10-18-2012

Or just make them free to see if they work?

Sauron

10-18-2012

I think you should have just asked the public for feedback first.

I mean, there really is no reason for a standard permanent version to not work, and its success could be used to measure whether or not to proceed with other similar ideas such as buyable particle changes or whatever. If not, then oh well? Nobody is really going to mind if Taric is looking batfabulous in April.

With the whole rental thing, I don't think you realize how passionate people feel about limited time offers when there's no physical supply actually making them limited, and making them rentals on top of that just incites this aversion.

Anyways, I'm more concerned with the icons. We've been waiting forever to get buyable icons and suddenly, people who get RP via tournaments or have chunks of RP already on their account from previous transactions can't get these?

Edit: Okay looks like you've begun addressing some of the issues here.

buttload

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

good idea
awful communication
roit pls.

Cether

10-18-2012

Made this thread right when I made this one.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post30371800

Cool beans.

Attilian

10-18-2012

Its going to fail...Not because there's no interest. Its going to fail because there's no interest in "renting" content.

Spitsonpuppies

10-18-2012

I don't see the appeal, regardless of cost or availability length. The enemy team can't see them, and I'm not really gonna be looking at them. Aren't there better things to focus on?

imweasel09

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

A year of bat o lanterns is more than 4 legendary skins, doesn't hurt the players my ass.