Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endlaves

10-18-2012

Why not buy them once with just IP and it lasts the whole holiday?
... why would anyone buy something temporary with real money?

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

10-18-2012
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4MESDEAN View Post
why do you tease us so tell me the release date im dieing here
The ward skins will be released with the rest of the Shadow Isles content - sometime next week.

Jortalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

The thing I don't like about "rented" stuff is that no matter how much you pay, you will ALWAYS run out of it eventually. I don't mind a rental option so long as there is a permanent option with a higher cost. I would pay full price for ward skins if it meant I could keep them forever. I also like the idea of ward skins because it will encourage people to use wards more often in games, just to utilize their ward purchase.

I just don't like the thought of spending a large sum of money or IP, and then losing the skin forever because it is a holiday event. I would LOVE spending a large sum of money or IP if it meant I could always have the ward skin stashed off to the side for use whenever I wanted, but to be limited by time on an aesthetic purchase is a terrible thing. I understand time-release on XP and IP boosts (even though there are also per-win boosts), but for purely aesthetic things that do not impact gameplay at all, I am having trouble figuring out why they should be limited.

G4MESDEAN

10-18-2012

heres an idea Hippalus make the temps cost ip and make a prem version for rp

Auryx

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
Except that players seem to be so turned off by the fact that they're temporary that it wouldn't accurately reflect those who would love permanent ward skins...

goofninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

10-18-2012

Not permanent? Good joke, Riot.

Heartlis

10-18-2012

I'm not a fan of DotA2, but I hope it does well. Nonsense like this shows why Riot needs some serious competition

HigurashiDragon

10-18-2012

I mightve just dropped a quarter's worth of RP to rent a ward throughout the holiday season, but my hang up is that it is ONE WEEK.
Come on guys! I play support for my friends! I am literally -the- person who would by ward skins since most of my in-game gold goes to the little things! If you cant sell me on the idea of a weekly rental then I cant imagine who the hell would want to do it.

Baron Von Bacons

10-18-2012

Sir Hippalus, while we have your attention on this thread, is there any news regarding the big RP buyers reward program you mentioned awhile back?

Gigadunker

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
The goal here is not to have ghosts and bats popping up all over Summoner's Rift all year round. It is a Harrowing/Shadow Isles promotion to add a new element to the event and help us understand how players like and use ward skins.
I'm sorry but this is a really silly way to test a very neat idea. The results are in no way going to reflect how many people would actually invest in ward skins if they are permanent because the idea of paying for something that only lasts a week with no reward other than the visual appeal is going to deter a lot of people. Here..we are helping you understand how we would like ward skins right now. Great idea! Now make them permanent so we can show you how great the idea actually is.