All this **** over Elise is like Draven's sneak peak.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Centuros

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobomberman View Post
I like how you made a valid point and still got downvoted. People are just mad she isnt the silly parasol wielding ugly spider woman in her original art.
But the fact remains that one of these days they will have to make someone with a parasol.
If she creates tears in space to teleport and hit enemies with trains, then all the better.

BelligerentGnu

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
The Victorian skin thing. We didn't do a Dryder for a number of other aesthetic appeal reasons that, again, I'll let art bros talk more about
This is my main issue. Elise is not a spider queen, she's a human who happens to be wearing a spider-themed skirt.

A Drider would have been SO COOL! I'll give Elise a chance, but I am disappoint.

PodunkTheMighty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
If only you would do more non-human champions---to date, there's really only two: Anivia and Skarner (*maybe* Kog'maw).

Yes, I know there's Maokai, Rengar, and Galio, but these are all very very heavily anthropomorphisized (for the animals, I generally prefer this, but a purist type animal would be nice...now and again).
Raptor Champ 2013.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-17-2012
7 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libb View Post
@Morello

Long time Morello fan here, first time questioner,

I'm really really glad (and I reiterate, really) that when you aren't sure about something (ie, art, champion design, reworks, maps, etc) you don't just jump on with here-say and rumors; instead you give the most honest answer you can. "It's not my field, I'm not sure." or "Let me see if I can get someone from art on here to answer that." It is quite noble.

Now, on to my question. What are YOU specifically working on that you can say?
The kit and theme overall are things I've worked on - I can talk about why Dryder had much less space overall, gameplay-wise.

Spiders have expectations - webs, spiderlings, poison, biting, etc. A dryder, however, can't actually meet many of those expectations effectively - a dark elf can't really bite you and use giant fangs to eat you like, say, Shellob can. This severely limits the design space because you have to use only magic spells to get the "feel" of a spider - a creature that's terrifying by all rights.

I did know people would expect what they've seen. And while we'd all decided that we weren't going to do a Dryder, we wanted to visit the concept of Spider Queen from scratch because there is some cool **** in there!

I still stand by this because I think the kit does deliver on this fantasy - and I can't wait to be able to share some of it with you.

Additional issues raised here:

"She's a hot chick with the same body type." This is something that I will have to have the artists talk about. I don't know much about art generally, and this is something that they think about much more!

"But she's a human." There's more going on - be a bit patient

"Why is she not Victorian" Frankly, why should she be? If you wanted to make wacky spider queen, you could maybe do that (and even then...) but I think it's just all over the place. Spidery stuff has plenty going on - a Victorian character should be more about being super posh, maybe even aloof and disconnected.

Pestilence777

10-17-2012

i absolutely love how the designers actually come on these boards and talk to the players.

1nc0nc13vabl3

10-17-2012

I think you guys should come back to the barn idea and possibly make it work. Here's the original thread.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...89075#27889075

It's much better than the spider queen idea in my opinion

Taikero

10-17-2012

I'd be pretty happy if Elise has a toggle transformation, similar to Jayce, where she can go from human form (AD ranged caster maybe?) to spider form (AD melee bruiser with buffed defensive/offensive stats, move speed, and aggression for chasing down weakened targets with spider babies).

Essentially, poke until weak, then go full Spider Queen and unleash the horde.

For me, that would basically be an insta-buy.

Albireo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello
Spiders have expectations - webs, spiderlings, poison, biting, etc. A dryder, however, can't actually meet many of those expectations effectively - a dark elf can't really bite you and use giant fangs to eat you like, say, Shellob can. This severely limits the design space because you have to use only magic spells to get the "feel" of a spider - a creature that's terrifying by all rights.
Cool, so we can expect another character with the default poison so Cass can proc her E on it? or it will be a new type of "poison" - damage over time like Darius pasive?

PodunkTheMighty

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
I'd be pretty happy if Elise has a toggle transformation, similar to Jayce, where she can go from human form (AD ranged caster maybe?) to spider form (AD melee bruiser with buffed defensive/offensive stats, move speed, and aggression for chasing down weakened targets with spider babies).

Essentially, poke until weak, then go full Spider Queen and unleash the horde.

For me, that would basically be an insta-buy.
I'm hoping it'll be more like a fatality-style move where she turns into a giant spider to wreck your ****, then immediately turns back.

Needles K

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FENiXRiZN View Post
Morello dodges any references of her being half-spider, not denying or confirming.

I'm relatively certain now that Elise will be able to shape-shift into something more spider-like via an ability (probably ult).
Morello already pretty much confirmed it.