Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harvester

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
And they are some crazy, awesome, creative cats.
I realize that this issue has been brought up time and time again, however I would like to point out that we still have not seen evidence of the expansion or increases in lore release since the death of the Journal of Justice. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but I would like to point out an example of this:

It was explained in Rengar's background that he had faced many ferocious creatures and that he claimed a domain for himself. Where was this domain? There was no description of it, although it seems like it was implied that it was in a jungle. This seems like it would have been a great opportunity to revisit the different locations in Runeterra and more specifically Valoran, perhaps give a basic description of what kinds of magical creatures exist in so-and-so location which Rengar conquered. There was nothing like that. Nothing to expand the universes' lore in a grander sense than the personal story y'all created between Kha'zix and Rengar. Speaking of which, let's move on to Kha'zix.

Khazix's lore does not detail the kind of world he came from. I realize that there is a basic description of the chaotic madness that is The Void, however no description is given in regard to where in the Void he came from, how he came over, or where in the world he came to. They could have been fighting in the Twisted Treeline for all we know!

I do not understand why or how so much work can go into a detailed and well-thought out story like that which is between Kha'Zix and Rengar, yet nothing meaningful to change the overall world or give a new understanding of its wonders comes about. The story and interactions between those two champions are good, however they are so self-contained that I feel like Riot is not trying to add to the world it created.

The entire reason I use those two as an example is because they have a reason to come to the Institute of War: to come closer to their rival and to fight on the world's greatest battlefields. This basic idea is clear from their rivalry and as such they would not need a Judgement. Syndra joined the league to exercise her "new" power and to face off with the greatest of Ionia. This makes some sense, but only if Syndra believes that the only way to achieve her goals is through violence. Diana's only enemy/enemies would be Leona and her clan. Based on my understanding of what happened to her, she had no reason to join the league but to hurt Leona which is, to be frank, a waste of her time which could be used to achieve her real goals. Zyra joined for the same reason as Syndra. Jayce wishes to protect his hesitant people, the people of Piltover.

The MechE

10-15-2012

Amumu's current artwork probably has the most personality in this game if that helps. It describes his character perfectly.

I think you guys can really learn something from whomever did that Amumu art.

There's so much personality that could be exploited, like how about having a splash art for Victor that communicates his beliefs that machines are the future, or a splash art for Miss Fortune that communicates how she is hunting for the pirate that killed her family. These of course are just my silly examples, but I really believe the art can be improved upon quite a bit by adding things similar to this.

How about one of Sion jumping into battle against an army with a look of thrill on his face?

Michelle Aria

10-15-2012

What can you guys tell me about art interns? I was hoping to apply in the summer and had a few questions about it. To apply, do you have to be on par with Riot's artists, or is there time to learn? I've only recently gotten into computer art, but I am majoring in Fine Arts. Thanks.

Strato5

10-15-2012

What about making new maps, or where can i ask about it?
and also, what about the "magma chamber" project/rumour ?

Kawaii Bill Orly

10-15-2012

Hi, I really enjoy creating characters and what not for fun (Occasionally I draw people but I always make them into superheroes), I've tried drawing a couple of fan art skins but I always find that because my art-style is really different to the one used in the game I can never get it too sit right...
Well that and I wanted to draw Heimerdinger in a speedo which didn't sit right with anyone.
I won't say anything more than that he was sexy and he knew it.

So it's something I've always wondered about in professional settings, I understand that you guys have like the concept artist and then the guy who creates the splash art from it, but is there only one splash art designer? And if not how do you guys keep your art-styles from clashing? I know the other versions have different splash art but I'm speaking within the one region.

Edit: Oh and please if you can find the time, maybe think about updating Caitlyn's splash art, I'm not normally one to critque but I was playing a game and noticed her shoulder width and the way her thighs are drawn and the body anatomy... it's quite subtle... but her body type is more of a mans body type.

I wasn't going to say anything but I saw this concept art and felt it going in the wrong direction:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ce-d5913y8.jpg

AquaDragon42

10-15-2012

Well I think you guys were right on the money with Riven's new skin. She sounds sad but ready for battle. Full of regret but ready and willing to do anything to redeem herself. Her skin shows she is ready for battle but also how she is willing to risk everything in how light it looks. Great job

Scy22

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Yeah. We in the art department are a bit baffled as to how Narya stays so positive and productive. We're sort of waiting to find out what the catch is. I half expect to go into some random conference room only to find him decanting a clone of himself to make it to all his many meetings or siphoning the blood from kittens in order to transmute it into pure charisma.
Tons of charisma!

Count yourself lucky, that type of attitude makes for a pleasant work environment.

Arcus Veles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Yup, we are aware and are planning to equalize the champs so the lineup makes sense from a scale perspective. Many of the champs are, in fact, off scale. Compare MF to some of the Sona models for example. Those are both female champs of approximately the same height, etc. and they are very different. Don't have an exact timeline but it's on the radar!
I thought Soraka was tall on purpose. Like, it was a part of her being not human/godly and otherworldly. If you could, leave her kind of tall maybe? It's kind of cool, imo. .-.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-16-2012
39 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulharvest View Post
I realize that this issue has been brought up time and time again, however I would like to point out that we still have not seen evidence of the expansion or increases in lore release since the death of the Journal of Justice. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but I would like to point out an example of this:

It was explained in Rengar's background that he had faced many ferocious creatures and that he claimed a domain for himself. Where was this domain? There was no description of it, although it seems like it was implied that it was in a jungle. This seems like it would have been a great opportunity to revisit the different locations in Runeterra and more specifically Valoran, perhaps give a basic description of what kinds of magical creatures exist in so-and-so location which Rengar conquered. There was nothing like that. Nothing to expand the universes' lore in a grander sense than the personal story y'all created between Kha'zix and Rengar. Speaking of which, let's move on to Kha'zix.

Khazix's lore does not detail the kind of world he came from. I realize that there is a basic description of the chaotic madness that is The Void, however no description is given in regard to where in the Void he came from, how he came over, or where in the world he came to. They could have been fighting in the Twisted Treeline for all we know!

I do not understand why or how so much work can go into a detailed and well-thought out story like that which is between Kha'Zix and Rengar, yet nothing meaningful to change the overall world or give a new understanding of its wonders comes about. The story and interactions between those two champions are good, however they are so self-contained that I feel like Riot is not trying to add to the world it created.

The entire reason I use those two as an example is because they have a reason to come to the Institute of War: to come closer to their rival and to fight on the world's greatest battlefields. This basic idea is clear from their rivalry and as such they would not need a Judgement. Syndra joined the league to exercise her "new" power and to face off with the greatest of Ionia. This makes some sense, but only if Syndra believes that the only way to achieve her goals is through violence. Diana's only enemy/enemies would be Leona and her clan. Based on my understanding of what happened to her, she had no reason to join the league but to hurt Leona which is, to be frank, a waste of her time which could be used to achieve her real goals. Zyra joined for the same reason as Syndra. Jayce wishes to protect his hesitant people, the people of Piltover.
I should really let the creative design team answer this but I will say you are right on. We want a proper lore foundation for League and we are building that now. I can say you won't need to wait to long to see some of the hard work that is being done.

DoozleDorf

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferNot View Post
I love this thread!

In terms of UI, I definitely agree with the sentiment that some of the face icons need to be zoomed out. I know you guys are working on i, but this is my favorite solution so far...
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2617337

Another minor UI thing... would it be possible to get an option to put transparency on the health/mana/name icons over a champion? There are more time than I'd like to admit where minion health bars are blocked by my health bar. It's not a huge deal, but it would be a nice option.
I cannot possibly upvote these two sentiments enough--

~If mini-map icons continue on the current path of zoomed-in faces, it will become extremely difficult to peripherally and quickly identify one from another while glancing at the mini-map. (too much face skin!)

~Opacity controls for Champion health bars as well as for the HUD is a definite must-have. They are kinda 'industry standard' and something that has been needed in LoL since day one.

Thank so much for this great thread-- have had a great time reading all the excellent ideas as well as your responses to them!