Riot, all this mess about incoming Sona nerfs is a proof of reverse power creep.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fCKzAr

Senior Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
This is true.
Toplane and associated champs are power creeping, not the supports.

Sona was a must pick/ban at IEM Kiev, then she was nerfed. The next tournament focus was Janna, she was nerfed. Then dig played Lulu/Soraka/Kog, Lulu/Soraka were nerfed. Now Sona is a must pick again, this is raw evidence indicating that there is indeed a reverse power creep here. Also Blitz became too viable botlane, there are no real drawbacks when picking him, due to other supports being useless pieces of shet.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Renaito Yuujou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Comparing a champion that was widly overpowered (let's go look at those release numbers, eh?) to the current state isn't a valid data set. By this logic, Vlad is terrible and unusable, as is TF and Zyra :P

Sona's GREAT right now. She's very good, and very strong - superb poke, good utility, and tank-level AOE CC. Saying she's bad is just...wrong.
I don't disagree with you, and I also wasn't attempting to make a logical argument. I merely wanted to state my own subjective stance on the matter. Statistics and numbers are well and good, but I've had the feeling for a while now that Riot is a company that also values the way their player base feels when it comes to something.

That said, I'm way, way too lazy to bother comparing numbers. Too much work, not interested.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GROMkill

Senior Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Sona's GREAT right now. She's very good, and very strong - superb poke, good utility, and tank-level AOE CC. Saying she's bad is just...wrong.
Instead of nerfing Sona, why not make the other support candidates more viable? Currently, Janna is one of the weaker supports, Lulu's lane-phase is similar in strength to Sona's but her ult in teamfights isn't as comparable to a frontal AoE stun. Karma isn't even worth mentioning as a support. Soraka's out-of-lane phase is near worthless. Why not make these other support champions stronger so that it matches up with Taric/Sona/Leona/Blitz?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genspirit View Post
but its ok to have only ez, graves, and corki used

makes sense
Ezreal has nerfs already being finalized on the internal test realm. We'll probably see them with the next champion. Though I'd agree with you on Graves... he's been too strong for far too long now, and that last nerf of his didn't really do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROMkill View Post
Karma isn't even worth mentioning as a support.
Guinsoo is reworking her presently.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Papaya01

Junior Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Comparing a champion that was widly overpowered (let's go look at those release numbers, eh?) to the current state isn't a valid data set. By this logic, Vlad is terrible and unusable, as is TF and Zyra :P

Sona's GREAT right now. She's very good, and very strong - superb poke, good utility, and tank-level AOE CC. Saying she's bad is just...wrong.
nerf ezreal wtf noob


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-16-2012
4 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genspirit View Post
but its ok to have only ez, graves, and corki used

makes sense
It's like we nerfed two of those (Graves and Corki are nerfed now) and Ez's getting swatted this patch.

I'm sorry, were you trying to call me out on something that we fixed? Thanks for letting people know it's not just support


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreekAsTheGods

Senior Member

10-16-2012

sona players should just be happy they dont make her ability affects reflect the skill involved to use them x3 then you'd have a real nerf.

honestly, as a support player myself, sona is and has always been OP. she fell out of favor only because of the community preference towards kill lanes since she's basically free kills for lanes like leona and such.

she's popular again because nunu is picked almost every game for either support or jungle and if he's in the support role sona can counter the lane. especially when paired with ezreal or another adc with good harass.

really, the one who needs a sizable nerf is nunu. he's ridiculous. TPA actually banned sona in a few games so mistake didnt get pooped on while laning nunu. when a support is so contested that teams will ban another support to prevent being countered in lane....

so yeah. sona nerf would be fine. she's always been OP. nunu needs one more though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

N49

Senior Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
<we might nerf Sona>
I really hope she gets something in return for it(I personally would love to see some AD scaling on her Q).

Also, how can you say there's no negative "power creep". Overall power in all lanes has been consistently going down since Season 1 finals, and there's plans for Top-lane champions to get toned down further for Season 3.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Genspirit

Senior Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsOfGrandeur View Post
You haven't seen the recent Finals where Vayne wrecked face, eh?
vayne wrecking face ????

never seen that before

that doesnt change the face that in 90% of ranked games you will see ez either banned or picked and usually accompanied by a graves or corki

its not secret that vayne is really strong late game but she has a less stronk early game


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChromeFalcon

Member

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Sona's GREAT right now. She's very good, and very strong - superb poke, good utility, and tank-level AOE CC. Saying she's bad is just...wrong.
Sona's definitely strong right now, but does that mean she needs a nerf?

The most common supports right now are Sona, Blitzcrank and Leona as far as I know. Cant Janna, Soraka and Lulu just get a minor buff so they can be just as viable? They're not weak but there's a reason they're not used as much.