[Champion Remake Contest] Trundle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyhawke

10-11-2012

--- WARNING! WALL OF TEXT! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! ---

I promise I'm not trolling--I really think Trundle could use a remake. Awful jokes aside, he is one of the most underplayed champions, despite being widely considered as on of Riot's most balanced champions. Indeed, most of Trundle's issues lie outside of his actual kit. Here is a list of the main problems our beloved troll has:

1. Visuals: As mentioned by Morello, Trundle is not a visually appealing character, which certainly affects his popularity. Additionally, most of his abilities have low visual effect, which is less fun and poses readability issues for new players.

2. Animations: Trundle's moves disrupt his auto-attacks because of their animations, which makes him feel clunky and hurts his damage output.

3. Impact: Apart from his pillar, Trundle's abilities don't "feel" impactful, despite being fairly strong overall. I remember playing Trundle Bot in AI games as I was learning LoL and being confused at why he was so powerful when it didn't really seem like he was doing anything. I assumed he just had uber-strong stats and didn't even know what his abilities really were.

4. Gameplay: Here are a few of the gameplay issues he has, though I don't think his kit is sorely underpowered.
- ganks rely heavily on perfect pillars
- prohibitive manacosts early game
- fairly slow jungle after the rework
- prone to kiting

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

With this remake I wanted to address all four of these issues, while maintaining the core concepts of the Cursed Troll. These "core concepts" that I identified were as follows:

1. Cursed: Trundle is a cursed creature. We should feel some pity for his plight and understand why he is angry. He has a "rabid bite" and also passes his curse along with his ultimate.

2. Drain Targets: Trundle has two abilities that drain targets of their stats and give them to him. While they make a bit of sense thematically with his cursed theme, I'm not sure this is essential to him. Still, it certainly fills a niche and I'd hate to get rid of it completely.

3. Guarding the Bridge: As a troll, Trundle has the fairly unique mechanic of being stronger on the little patch of turf he marks with Contaminate. I thought that this was his coolest design niche so I decided I wanted to play this aspect up in my remake.

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Without further adeiu, here is my remake suggestion for Trundle. Any changes made I will put in bold, and I'll periodically add comments on why I made certain changes in italics. Hopefully that makes sense

--- Stats ---
Health: 455 (+96)
Health Regen: 8 (+0.85)
Mana: 215 (+45)
Mana Regen: 6.9 (+0.6)
Range: 125
Damage: 54.66 (+3)
Attack Speed: 0.672 (+2.9%)
Armor: 19 (+2.7)
Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25)
Movement Speed: 320

Added just a bit more base mana to help with early game mana issues, and nerfed his movement speed just to account for the extra mobility I'm giving him in his abilities.

--- Abilities ---

Innate Passive - Decompose: Whenever an enemy unit near Trundle dies, he heals for 2/3/4/5/6% of their maximum health.

Visual Change - every time the percentage levels up, Trundle's model "heals" a little bit, as if the decomposition around him is helping him gain strength. If he reaches level 18, there will be no exposed flesh visible on the model. Each time this model change happens, there will be a VO effect, with quotes such as "No pain, no gain" "It's working! It's working!" "Ahhh...Just like new" etc.

No mechanical change. I like this passive and it fits nicely with his theme. Adding the visual effect will help players understand Trundle's tragic story better, and it will make leveling up more fun and engaging. Lessens the "ugly" of Trundle's model a bit, while maintaining his lore. New skins would also be fun (harder but more rewarding) to incorporate as you would have to account for the model change with each skin.

Q - Rabid Bite: Trundle leaps forward a small amount to bite his opponent, dealing 30/45/60/75/90 physical damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage (80/90/100/110/120%) of his attack damage. This attack increases Trundle's attack damage by 20/25/30/35/40 for 8 seconds, with his opponent losing half of this amount for the same duration. Applies on-hit effects like a normal attack. Range of ability increases if Trundle is within his contaminate zone. Range of 250 (400 in contaminate zone). Cooldown of 4 seconds, Costs 45 mana

The big change here is changing it to a targeted leap spell. This will help it seem like a stronger impact, give it a better visual feel, and fix the animation problem in some ways because it makes up for any distance normally made by the target while the animation is running. Increasing the range on the contaminate zone shores up core concept #3. Because this empowers his ability quite a bit, the manacost went up just a little bit as well.

W - Contaminate: Trundle infects a target location with his curse for 8 seconds, gaining 20/30/40/50/60% attack speed, 20/25/30/35/40% movement speed, and 20/25/30/35/40% crowd control reduction while standing on it. AoE Diameter of 900. Cooldown of 16 seconds and costs 45/50/55/60/65 mana.

Didn't change too much about this skill. Increased the cooldown by a second to force Trundle players to time the skill just a bit better, and gave it a scaling manacost to help him with his early game. Lowered the AoE a little since other parts of his kit are getting buffed.

E - Pillar of Filth: Trundle creates a plagued beacon at a target location for 6.5 seconds, which becomes impassable terrain and slows (20/25/30/35/40%) all nearby enemy units while they are in the vicinity of it and for 1.25 seconds after they leave the area. Deals 30/35/40/45/50 (+0.7) magic damage to any units in the vicinity if the pillar was placed on a contaminate zone. Aoe diameter of impassable terrain is 155 and slow diameter is 375. Has 1000 range, has a 23/20/27/24/11 second cooldown, and costs 60 mana.

Visuals: just a general improvement to the animation and look of the pillar so it doesn't look so strange.

I added the bonus damage effect while on a contaminate zone mainly to help his jungling out a little bit. By adding a decent AP ratio it opens up a more viable tanky AP build for Trundle. Increased the AoE of the impassable terrain because that is more fun and unique, but nerfed the slow just a tad since it is pretty strong.

R - Share Agony: Trundle afflicts the target champion to share his curse for a while. All healing effects for the target will be reduced by 50% for the duration. Additionally, every time the target is attacked they will take an additional 30/60/90 (+0.2) magic damage. If Trundle is on his contaminate zone when he casts this spell, he will have all healing effects on him multiplied by 50% for the duration. Lasts for 5 seconds. Has a cooldown of 80/70/60 seconds and costs 90 mana to use.

Visuals: Trundle raises his club and yells "Suffer!" A green, bubbling visual effect will appear over the targeted enemy's head for the duration.

While Trundle's old ultimate isn't a bad skill, I just feel that with two other stat-enhancing type skills already, Trundle's ult had to go a different location. I also saw this as an opportunity to shore up Trundle's other core concepts. I think this is an interesting mechanic that would work very well with coordinated teamplay (aka good focusing).

Skyhawke

10-11-2012

Reserved for potential cool stuff

FreeTheFreak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2012

Trundle has horrible skins I think a cool skin would be a cave man trundle Make him look human and holds a big club would be easy to make and would be a cool skin for trundle to have also they should give his pillar knock up if the champion is in the middle circle it should pick them up off the ground

Pethrax

10-14-2012

Hey, just semantics, but this is a rework, not a remake. Personally, I think that what you have done will definitely make a better, more synergistic flow for Trundle. A remake would be completely changing his kit. Sorry, my OCD is acting up, otherwise I wouldn't post this. Also, did you change the ultimate or not? I don't see it posted......

Tortferngatr

10-14-2012

RiotAmes plz...this is actually pretty neat, and I hope Riot takes notice!

SixMinutesLate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2012

Honestly, I don't think Trundle needs any mechanical changes. He's still a fine champ, all he really needs is the QoL change on his Q to make it so the animation scales with his attack speed like other on-hit abilities. Morello mentioned in an interview during the championships that they have some changes in store for the jungle to give single target junglers like Trundle and Fiddlesticks more of a niche, and I think that'll do more for him than trying to force him to fit into the AoE dominated jungle right now. Also, a skin would be super.

And I'd like for his ult to be castable on dragon and baron again, but I don't think that one's coming back.

funtofant

10-15-2012

wow.
this is cool.
i have never played trundle pvp but when i have played him in co-op in noticed the whole clunky movement

Skyhawke

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pethrax View Post
Hey, just semantics, but this is a rework, not a remake. Personally, I think that what you have done will definitely make a better, more synergistic flow for Trundle. A remake would be completely changing his kit. Sorry, my OCD is acting up, otherwise I wouldn't post this. Also, did you change the ultimate or not? I don't see it posted......
Haha no worries Pethrax, and yeah I guess "rework" would be a better term here. I see it in a similar vein to the Twitch and Katarina reworks, where a couple tweaks were needed but not wholesale changes.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think Trundle needs any mechanical changes. He's still a fine champ, all he really needs is the QoL change on his Q to make it so the animation scales with his attack speed like other on-hit abilities. Morello mentioned in an interview during the championships that they have some changes in store for the jungle to give single target junglers like Trundle and Fiddlesticks more of a niche, and I think that'll do more for him than trying to force him to fit into the AoE dominated jungle right now. Also, a skin would be super.

And I'd like for his ult to be castable on dragon and baron again, but I don't think that one's coming back.
I see what you're saying SixMinutesLate, and I think some simple QoL changes would certainly be effective. I think that his kit and visuals are going to keep him underplayed though, and that is what I centered on with this rework idea. I agree that a skin would be super.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words and support!

PurpleBlitz

10-22-2012

This looks promising i tried jungle trundle once and it scared me away from the jungling role forever, i had such a negative impact i felt less than useless cause of slow clear. Also i wonder if he could be optimized for top lane? after all top laners are all about controlling their bridge

Sinopion

10-22-2012

I used to love trundle and played him all the time but I think he fell out of sorts (not that he was every very popular) with the speed and maneuverability of a lot of the newer champs. I was always wanting to see his contaminate move with him like an AoE de-buff. Sort of like laying creep in Starcraft.