Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YoshioPeePee

10-11-2012

i heard that you guys were addressing the issue of new splash art making the in game icons look a bit awkward and ugly (the changes to lux have been the most recent example of this)

hopefully you are still looking into this, i'm all for making the splashes look cooler but not if i am disappointed with a change because the old champion icon looked better

IS1c1d21220aa58ffe97d65

10-11-2012

Will you be rethinking some of the Chinese splash imports?
A lot got affected by the Blood Moon Akali change

In general though I like where Riot is headed with their Art, I just wished everything was more consistent...

Ippiki Okami

10-11-2012

League needs more.

http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/w...80-556484.jpeg

just my opinion.

Magi Homura

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippiki Okami View Post
League needs more.

http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/w...80-556484.jpeg

just my opinion.
I agree. We need more hats.

Apollinarius

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Aunt Hugs View Post
Hello RiotNarya,

I just wanted to bring up this thread and make sure that you've read it because it describes my feelings about Riot's art direction perfectly:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2646142

I know IronStylus addressed a lot of points in the thread already, but I was wondering what your thoughts on it where and how you're going to address the issue?

P.S. I also greatly dislike Lux's new splash art. Here's to hoping they will change it, or at least make her look normal/less manic/less crazy/less backbreaking/less boobshot.
While I have no complaints about the thread you're linking and agree with most of the arguments made by the OP, I really take issue with your complaints about the Lux art. She is supposed to be a little manic and crazy. That is Lux's thing. She is actually one of the few differentiated female characters because she isn't "generic conventionally attractive female who is strong willed and determined but shows these qualities by posing like a lingerie model #36". She has a personality. She is eccentric and a little crazy. Her pose is not one of a woman trying to look sexually attractive, but rather one of a woman being herself, whatever that is in Lux's case.

The "backbreaking" you complain about is an artifact of the action in her pose. She isn't standing still. She's in the middle of a turning motion, and you'd be surprised how much people bend when they aren't holding the position. And yes, she does have breasts. She probably went up a cup size in the new art compared to the old. On the other hand, there is nothing sexual about her outfit. She's wearing a breastplate that has breast shapes in it. Her outfit stops just below her collarbone.

If you complained about the new Morgana or MF art, I'd agree with you. But the new Lux art is an example of how a female champion can be portrayed in a positive way. It is the opposite of the point you're trying to make.

Besteau

10-11-2012

By the way orianna and heimerdinger need a dodgeball skin. If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

PrfsrChaos

10-11-2012

Thank you for the wonderful update on Cho's art I have been waiting patiently for ever.

I am wondering about Sion...and Veigar...also my friend keeps mentioning Shen needs new splash art but i could have sworn you redid that art a little while ago.

Apollinarius

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Yes, talked about it this morning in fact. REALLY. It's a huge task as there are so many, but the solution is actually to have separate art.
Since they are separate assets, I'm sure it can be done a little at a time

For example, new champions can have separate portrait art and champions that get art reworks can get the separate portrait art.

I am really looking forward to this change because some portraits, especially the new ones, are really not working well. The new art is more active, resulting in really unsuitable poses for portraits which should be fairly stationary in nature.

Gladius Altra

10-11-2012

@RiotNarya as a aspiring 3D artist who hopes to one day work with you i was wondering how exactly do all the different artists work together? Do the concept artists send it to the 3D people then from there to splash team? Or do they all work in together at once? Once thing ive noticed is somethings easy for one side will be extremely difficult for another department such as making someone with a different sized legs or a lopsided walk is easy to draw but hell to animate. Do you all take each others jobs into account? The more insight the better. ty for your time

Ippiki Okami

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch Vinyl View Post
I agree. We need more hats.
+1 to that.