@Morello: Let's talk Varus

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CynicalGiant

10-10-2012

I would very much like for Varus to get a movement speed buff along with the AS buff from his passive. Better chasing and better escaping would be nice.

Jayjayko

10-10-2012

another small problem with Varus I find is that he has no form of "brush check" like the other AD carries have. With him also having no escape ability on hand, this makes it even more dangerous for him to walk around.

Other forms of Brush checking:

Graves: Smokescreen
Caitlynn: Snaptrap
Miss Fortune: Make it Rain
Corki: Phosphorus Bomb and firing a bomb in bush (if it explodes means enemies in there)
Ashe: Hawk
Ezreal: (not really one buuut) can fire a quick Q in a bush, if it passes through then no enemies.

if Varus' E could just reveal a bush it is cast into, that would be great plz.

Shadow Master

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioAaron View Post
I would very much like for Varus to get a movement speed buff along with the AS buff from his passive. Better chasing and better escaping would be nice.
Varus is already the fastest ADC by default, which is one of the reasons I prefer him.

Use movement speed mastery points + MS quints and you've got one fast ADC.

Any more and he'll break the sound barrier.

Shadow Master

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjayko View Post
another small problem with Varus I find is that he has no form of "brush check" like the other AD carries have. With him also having no escape ability on hand, this makes it even more dangerous for him to walk around.

Other forms of Brush checking:

Graves: Smokescreen
Caitlynn: Snaptrap
Miss Fortune: Make it Rain
Corki: Phosphorus Bomb and firing a bomb in bush (if it explodes means enemies in there)
Ashe: Hawk
Ezreal: (not really one buuut) can fire a quick Q in a bush, if it passes through then no enemies.

if Varus' E could just reveal a bush it is cast into, that would be great plz.
Uhh, Piercing Arrow has a sound effect upon hitting enemies.

Kanyeezus Christ

10-10-2012

Maybe have Varus' Blighted Quiver detonate on the fourth shot (like Vayne's Silver Bolts) or on ability hit, opposed to just detonation on ability hit.

butseps

10-10-2012

I agree that Varus has a lot of "internal anti-synergy", but I think that can be interesting if the payoffs for making the right choice are good enough.

An example of a champ with "internal synergy" might be Ahri, who relies on positioning for QWE and has an ult which conveniently is great for positioning. This is fun and feels good. It's also fairly simple and intuitive. There is a lot to be said for a design like this. It's one of the reasons that Ahri is easy to pick up despite having 3 skillshots. "How to play Ahri" is written all over her kit.

Varus is just the opposite, as you've pointed out. All his abilities are "against" Blighted Quiver. His whole kit is about figuring out when to take advantage of it vs when to not. It feels conflicted and difficult.

But I don't mind that. It's variety. It's an interesting tactical choice. It's like GP's move speed buff that requires him to stop for a moment - it's a tough decision that your champion is making you make. As you play the champion, you get better and better at making that decision, and that's maybe where the good feeling comes from. It's a "hard to pick up, fun to master" kind of thing. I think the game needs both types.

Molester

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertchewal View Post
Don't care if I'm double posting I guess I'm going to have to spell it out to GD why his E is so important.

Varus' other abilities detonate Blight, dealing magic damage equal to a percentage of the target's maximum health per stack. Maximum damage capped at 360 against monsters.

Blight's description says his other abilities detonate blight.

Varus fires a hail of arrows that deals physical damage and desecrates the ground for 4 seconds.

Now read carefully. Yes his E slows, but it's not that that makes it so useful. It desecrates the ground for 4 seconds. So for every second your enemy is standing on it, you can auto attack and Blight detonates automatically. I can't tell you how many times I've used hail of arrows when I am right next to someone and watched their health melt over that 4 seconds.
Tried it, no such thing happened.

AtlaStar

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertchewal View Post
Don't care if I'm double posting I guess I'm going to have to spell it out to GD why his E is so important.

Varus' other abilities detonate Blight, dealing magic damage equal to a percentage of the target's maximum health per stack. Maximum damage capped at 360 against monsters.

Blight's description says his other abilities detonate blight.

Varus fires a hail of arrows that deals physical damage and desecrates the ground for 4 seconds.

Now read carefully. Yes his E slows, but it's not that that makes it so useful. It desecrates the ground for 4 seconds. So for every second your enemy is standing on it, you can auto attack and Blight detonates automatically. I can't tell you how many times I've used hail of arrows when I am right next to someone and watched their health melt over that 4 seconds.
it doesn't proc blight....it causes a healing debuff...only damage from his spells proc it, meaning that once the damage from his e is done, so are your blight procs from it...

zZBlackmatterZz

10-10-2012

I have to say that Varus is one of my favorite champs to play. I find I do well in laning phase, I do need to make sure I"m standing back a bit in group fights, but I attack so fast late game I"ve never had an issue.

Shadow Master

10-10-2012

I guess that Varus designer red never got to this thread. A shame.