How to Build Jayce?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zombiemaster

Senior Member

10-10-2012

I just recently bought Jayce and played a couple games with him. I've been doing decently with him, but after the first few items, I'm unsure of what items to build.

I start with boots+3 pots, and on my first buy, I get phage. Then I rush bloodthirster, get defensive boots, and finish trinity-force. After that I don't know what to build on him. What should I get?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zombiemaster

Senior Member

10-10-2012

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CapriciousXII

Senior Member

10-10-2012

defensive items
i like auras on him like aegis or FH but sometimes other people on your team will build it

he becomes somewhat of an anticarry when you build him like that because he will jump on them, bring them down super low and be able to sustain himself through a fight long enough to start picking the rest of the enemy team off

also, you should counter build the other team after getting those items
you should already have realized this but flat ad on jayce is really nice because he scales well with it


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nishaven90

Senior Member

10-10-2012

You should try this build:

Start with Boots or Cloth armour depending on the situation.
Double Dorans blade, Second tier boots, wards etc.

Now here is where my build gets rather different from other Jayce builds. Infinity Edge should be your first major damage item, the reason being is that Jayce scales very well with crit because of your W which allows you to get three basic attacks off in a second. The next item should be Trinity Force for utility, or Heart of Gold>Randuins/Aegis/Guardian Angel for defense. Bloodthirster is core, but shouldn't be obtained until the end of the game.

With this build, you will be quite tanky, have a large amount of utility to support your team, yet still deal a large amount of damage in your ranged form late game.

Full build:

Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
Infinity Edge
Trinity Force/Last Whisper
Bloodthirster
Randuins/Frozen Heart/Aegis
Force of Nature/Maw/Guardian Angel

Try this build out before saying it is bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zombiemaster

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishaven90 View Post
You should try this build:

Start with Boots or Cloth armour depending on the situation.
Double Dorans blade, Second tier boots, wards etc.

Now here is where my build gets rather different from other Jayce builds. Infinity Edge should be your first major damage item, the reason being is that Jayce scales very well with crit because of your W which allows you to get three basic attacks off in a second. The next item should be Trinity Force for utility, or Heart of Gold>Randuins/Aegis/Guardian Angel for defense. Bloodthirster is core, but shouldn't be obtained until the end of the game.

With this build, you will be quite tanky, have a large amount of utility to support your team, yet still deal a large amount of damage in your ranged form late game.

Full build:

Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
Infinity Edge
Trinity Force/Last Whisper
Bloodthirster
Randuins/Frozen Heart/Aegis
Force of Nature/Maw/Guardian Angel

Try this build out before saying it is bad.
This build actually looks pretty solid. I shall try it out. Thank you very much.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-10-2012

It's not an accident that 0 of the Jayce builds from this week's world championships included an Infinity Edge.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nishaven90

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
It's not an accident that 0 of the Jayce builds from this week's world championships included an Infinity Edge.
HotshotGG builds Wits End on Cho Gath, even though no one had done it before. Now suddenly, people are calling it viable and building it on Cho Gath. Stonewall008 builds Infinity Edge on Jayce. ATN ForellenLord who is 3000 Elo builds Boots of Swiftness on Twisted Fate.

Its been the same with my Warmogs Magic Penetration Mordekaiser and my Critical Strike Garen. I don't need people who play AI games and don't even play Jayce to tell me how to build my Jayce.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishaven90 View Post
HotshotGG builds Wits End on Cho Gath, even though no one had done it before. Now suddenly, people are calling it viable and building it on Cho Gath. Stonewall008 builds Infinity Edge on Jayce. ATN ForellenLord who is 3000 Elo builds Boots of Swiftness on Twisted Fate.

Its been the same with my Warmogs Magic Penetration Mordekaiser and my Critical Strike Garen. I don't need people who play AI games and don't even play Jayce to tell me how to build my Jayce.
How much does Jayce rely on auto-attacks (which benefit from crit) vs how much does he rely on purely AD-scaling abilities - Q (cannon) Q (hammer) and E (hammer) - (which get no benefit from crit)? Given that, how much of a benefit are you really getting by buying a more expensive IE instead of a BT? And then how much are you delaying other items in your build by buying IE instead of BT? It's a question of gold spent vs benefit gained.

Just because I haven't had much time to play beyond a quick co-op first win of the day for the past few weeks doesn't mean I can't do simple math.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nishaven90

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
How much does Jayce rely on auto-attacks (which benefit from crit) vs how much does he rely on purely AD-scaling abilities - Q (cannon) Q (hammer) and E (hammer) - (which get no benefit from crit)? Given that, how much of a benefit are you really getting by buying a more expensive IE instead of a BT? And then how much are you delaying other items in your build by buying IE instead of BT? It's a question of gold spent vs benefit gained.

Just because I haven't had much time to play beyond a quick co-op first win of the day for the past few weeks doesn't mean I can't do simple math.
Keep downvoting me because I build differently.

There is a 20AD difference between Bloodthirster and Infinity Edge. You are basically giving your abilities a slight bit more damage in exchange for 200% damage crits which Jayce can utilise extremely well because of his cannon form.

I've tried many different builds on Jayce, going the Bloodthirster route, Trinity Force route and also the GP5 build, none of which scaled at all into the mid to late game. Relying on Jayce's Shock Blast and Thundering Blow to deal damage is unreliable because of the long cooldowns and because they deal little to no damage later on. There is a reason why characters like Riven, Lee Sin and Renekton fall off late game - because they don't deal much damage. As Stonewall said, Jayce can transition into a carry late game because of his range.

Like I said before, TRY the build out before calling it bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
It's not an accident that 0 of the Jayce builds from this week's world championships included an Infinity Edge.
Every Jayce I have seen so far has sucked it up horribly. (granted, ive only seen 4 games so far). Jayce's that are sucking won't be able to play AD carry builds.

Anyways, Jayce scales extremely well off of AD and should be build similarly to Pantheon or Riven or Lee Sin, all of which are similar melee AD caster types.


Inf Edge is tempting and my favorite way to play in Dominion. It allows him to use hypercharge to strongly utilize all his AD, then multiply it all by a crit factor. This makes him VERY relevant endgame unlike a typical AD Caster.
BUT, there are a lot of other concerns that Jayce has to deal with.

First of all, he needs sustain to do well top lane. As well as survivability to survive ganks.
That winds up being multiple dorans blades typically and maybe a vamp scepter. That ideally would likely become a bloodthirster. Even then he needs more tankiness. You don't see Pantheons rushing multiple bloodthirsters right? Even though he scales really well off of AD? No, he still has to win the lane.


Jayce usually winds up having to play as a tanky DPS, unless you have a particularly tough Support AND jungle champ. In some cases, he can get away with building more like an AD carry, but usually only if he is getting fed.
In that case he can get Inf Edge, and piecewise crit like Atmas, etc, then abuse his Hypercharge to make himself a mini-carry.

Hence, Inf Edge would not happen in most games, only when hes fed and when his team comp is sufficient for him to play as a secondary AD carry. And even then after he has gotten items that allow him to be competitve in the top lane.


12