When did "Sexy" become a bad thing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sarah Lee

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPickles7 View Post
Quick, name 5 young girls who like guys like that that play Video games. Oh wait
and yes im well aware girls don't like overly ripped guys ALL the time. Im a twig and have been hit on by many different girls/have a beautiful GF so
We all know that LoL's demographic is mostly males, but then there are a fair amount of girls who play the game too. Thing is, us girls don't mind playing sexy female champs from time to time, and male players play Varus who I think is an example of a sexualised male champion. Also, if you've seen the skin suggestion thread for Unprepared Garen you'll notice that not everyone who wants to see that skin is a girl (otherwise the concept wouldn't have so much support!).

SpiceePicklez

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Lee View Post
We all know that LoL's demographic is mostly males, but then there are a fair amount of girls who play the game too. Thing is, us girls don't mind playing sexy female champs from time to time, and male players play Varus who I think is an example of a sexualised male champion. Also, if you've seen the skin suggestion thread for Unprepared Garen you'll notice that not everyone who wants to see that skin is a girl (otherwise the concept wouldn't have so much support!).
my point was, Tweens/young teenage girls who like justin beiber 99/100 times will NOT Be playing a game like this, Just not what they do. It's not wrong, it's just how it is.

I was merely poking a hole in his analogy

Drogmyre

10-10-2012

Armor of the Fifth Age Taric is not only incredibly manly, he also taps into his feminine side to create the most powerful support in the game.

Go go dark lord fuzzy boots.

MathMage

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianStorm View Post
Actually the issue comes in at when people say "these champ designs are issues and overly sexual" and not "more variety please". The two are not one and the same.
That would be me.

Yes, some designs ARE problematic. Whether or not they should actually be changed at this point is another story, but the design philosophy that gave MF and Morgana and Sivir ridiculous waists, Fiora and Lux ridiculous poses, Akali her strategic sideboob, Syndra her belted-on pushup/thong combo, and so on is a major REASON for the lack of variety. It's not a coincidence that the same champions are constantly cited for providing both variety in female champ forms and non-sexualized (or less sexualized) female champs. Sexualization is the norm, and variety through deviation from the norm takes the form of less sexualization.

And to be sure, male objectification of male skins happens as well. You get the hyper-masculinity of Tryndamere and Kassadin. You get Varus. But it's never been the norm. It's never shut out variety. And some of the older masculine male skins were, in fact, changed through splash art updates to better suit the character and League's evolving art style (I'm thinking of TF and GP here). The female champ skins updated the art style, but not the anatomy. (Indeed, the new Lux art made the anatomy worse.)

The point is not to say that Riot has done nothing right, but that the interesting and positive things Riot has done in this area occur against a pervasive backdrop of samey sexualization. And the point is not to say that all sexiness (or even all sexualization) is bad, but that Riot overdoes it both with respect to many individual champions AND as a percentage of all female champions.

Sarah Lee

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPickles7 View Post
my point was, Tweens/young teenage girls who like justin beiber 99/100 times will NOT Be playing a game like this, Just not what they do. It's not wrong, it's just how it is.

I was merely poking a hole in his analogy
Fair enough, but I still think that the basic point still stands. He was just pointing out that saying we have a lot of sexualised male champs already is false, because those champs aren't what most women would consider sexy, but are more of a power fantasy for males.

It's not only tween girls who find more slight body types to be attractive, but I would say that a lot of the female players of LoL are most likely young - teenagers or women in their twenties, and younger women often like the boyish look. A lot of female players find Ezreal attractive, though he's not designed to be sexy. I think the sexiest male champion is Varus but that's my preference.

SpiceePicklez

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Lee View Post
Fair enough, but I still think that the basic point still stands. He was just pointing out that saying we have a lot of sexualised male champs already is false, because those champs aren't what most women would consider sexy, but are more of a power fantasy for males.

It's not only tween girls who find more slight body types to be attractive, but I would say that a lot of the female players of LoL are most likely young - teenagers or women in their twenties, and younger women often like the boyish look. A lot of female players find Ezreal attractive, though he's not designed to be sexy. I think the sexiest male champion is Varus but that's my preference.
As I said im aware of this, Most girls like both. Yes, As they are younger they like the boyish look, as they get older they like the stronger males to take care of their kids etc (Human nature and instincts)
Again, Just poking a hole in who is playing this game. I just hate JB and wanted to ruin that analogy

PLUS im sick of this discussion. Just shut up, They're pixels, Stop getting your panties in a bunch because OMG TOO SEXY and stop getting *****s guys. It's a game, Play it and move on.

MathMage

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianStorm View Post
Are you suggesting you want more breast based attacks for when champions happen to have larger chests? (I kid, I kid.) Some of your previous statements had leaned towards a more anti-sexual stance to me, so I do apologize if that had been a misconception on my part. I will however say that, you and those that argue for more varied designs aren't getting your points across by "attacking" previous designs.
There is a problem here.

If we don't analyze current designs and what we think is wrong with them, what evidence can we use to argue for changes to future design? How can we present feedback WITHOUT "attacking" current designs?

You're basically saying, "It's okay to want change in the future, but you're not allowed to present a contrast between your vision and the present state of affairs." Without that contrast, how can one argue for change?

msgerbs

10-10-2012

Somewhere around mid-1970s, 1980s during the feminist movements.

Tsukinoki

10-10-2012

Why the hell can I not upvote the OP more than once?

Ispira

10-10-2012

*****s scare 12 year olds