Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farganon

10-10-2012

Being hateful is built inherently into the game mechanically. The reason is as follows, it is a team game, where you do not have any control over the outcome of the game individually. If you are playing very well, then the rest of your team can very easily screw you over, so you naturally blame everything on the team. It's also a game where if one of your teammates suck, then they don't just hinder your team, they actively help the other team by giving them experience and gold. As a result you inherently become hostile and suspicious of everyone you ever play with, and that results in massive hate-fests.
- Quote from Totalbiscuit

VonBurgermeister

UX Designer

10-10-2012
41 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzell View Post
Hey Lyte, I think the honor system is GREAT, thank you for your hard work.

I'm a programmer and was wondering about the UI in terms honoring other players at the end of a match. Currently, two clicks are required to honor a player on your team. If you had a truly great team (which seems to be happening more often now btw) you have to click up to 8 times in order to honor them all. On top of that, up to 5 or so clicks are required to report a player.

What do you think about having a tab (or dialog) that would show all players in the match, and buttons to honor/report next to each one? This could also extend to reporting players as well. I think this would reduce the number of total clicks overall and make it user for players to use, which would result in players using it more often.

Icons similar to the honor ones could be created for the reporting ones.

Example screen:

Your team:
Teammate1 [Helpful] [Friendly] [Teamwork] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Teammate2 [Helpful] [Friendly] [Teamwork] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Teammate3 [Helpful] [Friendly] [Teamwork] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Teammate4 [Helpful] [Friendly] [Teamwork] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]

Enemy team:
Opponent1 [Honorable Opponent] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Opponent2 [Honorable Opponent] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Opponent3 [Honorable Opponent] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Opponent4 [Honorable Opponent] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Opponent5 [Honorable Opponent] -- [Verbal Abuse][Negative Attitude][Feeding][Other] [Comments]
Interesting.

My concern with this approach is that it could be convenient to a fault. Where decisions are important (and I personally believe the decision to Honor is), additional clicks can sometimes be advantageous, requiring a small commitment that shows intent.

But that being said, we're paying really close attention to how players are using Honor and what the community has to say, so we might find we need to try something like this later.

ncrwhale

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farganon View Post
Being hateful is built inherently into the game mechanically. The reason is as follows, it is a team game, where you do not have any control over the outcome of the game individually. If you are playing very well, then the rest of your team can very easily screw you over, so you naturally blame everything on the team. It's also a game where if one of your teammates suck, then they don't just hinder your team, they actively help the other team by giving them experience and gold. As a result you inherently become hostile and suspicious of everyone you ever play with, and that results in massive hate-fests.
- Quote from Totalbiscuit
That's just plain false. I don't hate the (random) people I play with. It's not an inherent mechanic. I get carried sometimes. I get anti-carried sometimes. I carry sometimes. I anti-carry sometimes. That's how multiplayer pvp games work. It takes someone really delusional to think that he should be winning every time.

ZTD09

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

@reds whats the decision behind not being able to honour in custom games?
I play lots of aram, and until we get our aram matchmaking, I can't honour any of the cool people I play aram with. Lots of people in aram are nice than the people in normal/ranked queues.

donniechandler

10-10-2012

First, i want to thank Riot team for the continuous effort to eliminate toxic behaviour
I also found "honorable opponent" the most rewarding and unbiased.

Reward & Punishment is the most common system used globally.
Honor system has already brought a positive changes, but is still lacking punishment reinforcements.
Honorable player --> rewards --> honor abuse/players spamming honor for the rewards
Toxic player --> disciplinary actions --> in my recent games, i still found many players using harsh words, feeding, dc in purpose etc because , IMO, they think they can get away easily or feel that the punishment is not hard enough for them.

Dr. Lyte, i would suggest a "dishonor button" next to "honor button" to simply let other players know that these toxic players are 'unfavored' players. Just like this very thread has thumb-up & thumb-down buttons.
While players might spam honor for the rewards, i think it would be unlikely for them to spam dishonor.

I'm a nice players, i don't think i need a reward for that. I just simply want to play this great game in an enjoyable and constructive environment

NB: this is my 1st online game ever, and i'm lovin' it! keep up the good work ^_^

Biggie Baller

10-10-2012

too cute!

Aznil

10-10-2012

I'm enjoying what the honor system has done, I've noticed people having more fun with the game. The "competitive ribbing" is less abrasive and more light-hearted, people are making more jokes in chat, and more people are making a general effort to make a personal connection to the people they are playing with and against. Even if it's just a facade to gain honor, it has made my game play experience more enjoyable, and who knows if people pretend long enough maybe they'll actually start enjoying being nice to people in game. Even pre game chat where the reporting system had no jurisdiction has cleaned up, because of the new system. Well played Riot, also thank you for the amazing responses from the Reds, specifically Dr. Lyte.

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Question for Professor-Doktor Lyte,

Have you guys considered the interaction of honour and jealousy? I have had quite a few games where players get angry for 'kill steals' or they see someone else doing much better than they are and they give up or otherwise troll. Best example from a while back is a TF who ragequit because 3 times in a row he ulted bot lane for a gank, I (the ad carry) got the kill.

I imagine tribunal would catch these players all the same.. but now with honour, I can see these players trying to get the crests but failing because of their toxicity, and at the same time targeting their toxicity at those who do have crests, out of jealousy.

Or similarly, the lightly-toxic-but-otherwise-neutral crowd who fail to get sufficient honour or crests will give up after trying and failing. Probably too early in the experiment to know if this behaviour develops, but I'm curious on your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

InflictedChaoS

10-10-2012

i think this is great, keep up the good work (:

do you think perhaps top honorable users will receive a limited edition skin or something of the sort? Or just keep it clean without the bonuses, either way I think the ribbons are amazing. Loving the system

SteelerKing

10-10-2012

I like this system very much.

Much more profitable for everyone.
The opposite to the tribunal.