Why You Lost (A Guide to Winning)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

seasonsb

10-08-2012

I am pretty bad, and have not yet got to level thirty so I have not yet made it to "elo hell", and I have questions.
Question 1: What would your mindset be when playing support? I generally, in order, have my priorities:
1: Keep self alive. (First because if I know the carry isn't gonna make it out alive, I won't either unless I run)
2: Keep team alive.
3: Keep enemies from doing what they are trying to. (Stun, slow, buff team, heal team, etc.)
Question 2: How do you help other lanes without losing your own?
PS: I generally use Taric, Soraka or Nunu as support if that helps.

Lethadind

10-10-2012

Again, technical questions like these are best asked in ExecutionerKen's thread. It'll be on the first two pages of this forum, look for it, it's something like "Advice about LoL from an 1800 Elo Player" or something. He's a lot better at it than I am.

However, here is my two cents:

Your mindset is a good one. However I do want to add two more little caveats for you:
1. Keep Self Alive - #1 priority always, unless you are the tank
2. Ward
3. Poke - Both in laning and during skirmishes/teamfights. Help the team out by providing whatever dps you can. ESPECIALLY if you're ranged like Sona or Soraka (Learn Sona, she's sort of broken right now)
4. Keep Team Alive
5. Disrupt enemy team - often goes hand-in-hand with #4, and also #3.

As to your second question, here are all the things a support can do for other lanes:
1. Keep track of the jungler (i'm assuming draft play here, if you play blind pick I'd suggest practicing in draft before getting serious about support)
2. Ward everywhere
3. Roam on occasion and help mid/the jungler out. People often don't expect a wild Taric to pop out of the bushes at them.
4. Ward everywhere - ward the **** out of their jungle. If you haven't bought at least 20 wards as the support in a >30 minute game, you failed.
5. Keep track of dragon/baron/red buff/blue buff timers. If you've warded their jungle you can even keep track of THEIR buff timers
6. Ward everywhere.

With regards to your second question using top/mid, you do this by harassing your lane partner, forcing them to b, pushing the lane, and roaming to get other lanes some kills. This is your JOB as a mid lane actually. You are supposed to out-harass or outright kill your opponent, push your lane to their turret and start roaming around. This is why mid-lane should pick last, so they can counter their opponent. Top lane counters aren't nearly as important (consider Malphite vs. Teemo, Teemo is going to wreck Malphite early, but Malphite still has his ult regardless, and Teemo's usefulness (except for his shrooms) falls off considerably in the late-game), though they do help.

If you have a global presence like TF, GP, Ashe, Karthus, etc., then you have even more responsibility to communicate well with your team so you can coordinate help in other lanes. A clutch bait to a global ult can be the difference between winning and losing a lane. I've seen teams coordinate an Ashe arrow across the map, where the top laner kept their opponent rooted in the exact spot the arrow would fly, BAM, kill, easy lane push to tower destroyed.

My experience with low Elo is that if you A) have a champion that can carry late game (is still useful in the late game) and B) have the balls to get in the fight and do something, you will usually come out on top. Mid-lane is not as important as a tanky top/jungle/support in low elo because you might help out your ally, but then again he might be a derp and waste the gold you gave him by derping around all game. I'd learn Alistar support (and Alistar jungle, he's not seen often but those that are good with him are in high-demand), he's broken right now as well.

Honestly the supports you know are useful, but none of them have a late game presence at all. Soraka's silence is the only super useful thing that they have. Taric's stun is useful but it's a short range and requires him to get in the fight, and nunu's slow is useful in lane, but late-game it falls off. Alistar, Blitz, Sona, Malphite, and Morgana are all supportable champions that WRECK the late game, learn them.

EDIT: I forgot how outrageous Taric's gems are. They are truly, truly, truly...outrageous. Seriously though, his aura's *are* useful, especially when he debuffs their team and ult-buffs yours, but late game that usefulness, again, falls off compared to a team stun from Morgana, Sona, or Malphite. And dat Blitz grab.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

I think you have done a great job making this. It is exactly what people need to begin winning games. I especially liked the reference to FaerellG :3 I've played with him too and he has exactly the right mindset whilst playing games. This has helped me greatly and i'm sure it will help many others too.
One section you may want to add might be about general rules before playing ranked. For example, learn at least 2 champions in every role or get a rune page which can be used for the majority of your rules. I am no author but this information is no way near enough to make a new section on. However, if you have any more ideas it might be a good idea to add them.
Thanks for the post

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Regarding the priorities when playing support, it actually varies heavily according to the type of support. The 3 main types of bot lanes are sustain, poke, and kill, and the 2 types of support are tanky melee and ranged.

The #1 priority for support is usually to keep the team (esp AD carry) alive, not yourself. You are almost always less important than the carries, and you don't need to stay alive to farm gold. Trading your team's support for anyone else on the enemy is usually a 'won' fight. The caveat is this: you should be trying to be useful, and know what you are capable of. If you cannot save an ally (because cooldowns are down, for example), don't suicide trying. Both melee and ranged supports (and most champs in general) need their abilities to make most of their impact on the game. You should try to stay alive so you can use your abilities to keep your team (primarily ad carry) alive.

Now, referring to the priorities lists above, I've removed warding because I consider it more of a separate activity not as well related to fights. It is still very important, but it should occur environmentally, before fights instead of during.
1: Keep team (ad carry mainly) alive.
2: Keep self alive.

Disrupting the other team is usually more valuable and important than poke, since you generally won't have enough damage for poke to be as significant as CC. CC doesn't scale with damage (and doesn't need to). That being said, this depends heavily on champion abilities. Ranged supports are usually better pokers, while melee supports generally have good disruption abilities, though there are plenty of exceptions.
3: Disrupt
4: Poke.

One big issue with melee supports is that they often need tankiness to perform their disruption roles. If the game's not going well and they aren't tanky enough, they're often forced to stay back like a ranged support, but with less usefulness. Taric is often considered a weak late game support (only an aura/stunbot), but he's much more useful if he can convert into a true tank. If he's tanky enough to not melt instantly, he can block blitz grabs and other initiation and counter by stunning a priority enemy target, which often decides the fight.

Zombiemaster

10-10-2012

Wow, in 2 weeks, I've raised my ELO from 1310 to 1437. This guide is just amazing. I love it.

Lethadind

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zliplus View Post
Regarding the priorities when playing support, it actually varies heavily according to the type of support. The 3 main types of bot lanes are sustain, poke, and kill, and the 2 types of support are tanky melee and ranged.

The #1 priority for support is usually to keep the team (esp AD carry) alive, not yourself. You are almost always less important than the carries, and you don't need to stay alive to farm gold. Trading your team's support for anyone else on the enemy is usually a 'won' fight. The caveat is this: you should be trying to be useful, and know what you are capable of. If you cannot save an ally (because cooldowns are down, for example), don't suicide trying. Both melee and ranged supports (and most champs in general) need their abilities to make most of their impact on the game. You should try to stay alive so you can use your abilities to keep your team (primarily ad carry) alive.

Now, referring to the priorities lists above, I've removed warding because I consider it more of a separate activity not as well related to fights. It is still very important, but it should occur environmentally, before fights instead of during.
1: Keep team (ad carry mainly) alive.
2: Keep self alive.

Disrupting the other team is usually more valuable and important than poke, since you generally won't have enough damage for poke to be as significant as CC. CC doesn't scale with damage (and doesn't need to). That being said, this depends heavily on champion abilities. Ranged supports are usually better pokers, while melee supports generally have good disruption abilities, though there are plenty of exceptions.
3: Disrupt
4: Poke.

One big issue with melee supports is that they often need tankiness to perform their disruption roles. If the game's not going well and they aren't tanky enough, they're often forced to stay back like a ranged support, but with less usefulness. Taric is often considered a weak late game support (only an aura/stunbot), but he's much more useful if he can convert into a true tank. If he's tanky enough to not melt instantly, he can block blitz grabs and other initiation and counter by stunning a priority enemy target, which often decides the fight.
Hey thanks for the input man!

I'm going to clarify a few things that have discrepencies between our two posts, and I hope you agree. The first is that the priority is always yourself. This isn't taking into account "sacrificing yourself so the ADC lives" situations, of course the ADC should live and you should die, but what I'm saying is you should have yourself in mind while laning first, THEN your ADC. If you have your ADC in mind, oftentimes you can overextend and just feed them an unnecessary kill. You can't control if your ADC is derping in lane, but you can control whether YOU are derping.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Your carry is playing aggressively from the start, so you follow suit, you guys dive their carry and things go badly - your carry dies (or you die). After items are bought, your carry continues to be aggressive and dies twice more. At this point your lane is basically lost without jungle intervention, and if your carry continues to dive in, there's nothing you can do, and trying to "save" him will only end up getting you killed in the long run. Harass, zone as best as you can, but essentially don't give your carry another excuse to dive in - play it safe for yourself and often your carry will follow suit.

Also, I believe the initial question asked was about the laning phase for the most part, ergo warding is incredibly important, and is something that you shouldn't just brush by as "the support's job so we won't talk about it." I consider a support that hasn't bought at least 10 wards in the first ten minutes of the game failing at his role, and if he hasn't bought at least 20 by the time the game's over, then he failed in his role again. Also, keep in mind that wards are part of teamfighting, and are the biggest contribution many supports play in the teamfight during the late game (consider Soraka or Taric, they disrupt a single champion and provide a small amount of heal for the team, but for the most part what they're doing late game is warding the hell out of the map and counter-warding the enemy team). When you know that the team is split and you aren't going to get jumped by a bait, you can feel safe jumping on the two champions top while the three on bottom derp around grabbing cs or pushing or doing whatever they're doing.

I do appreciate your clarifying the different lanes on bottom and the different supports as well, thanks dood!

FaerellG

10-11-2012

I just remembered some wisdom passed on to me by my betters:

Carrying
This word is tossed around pretty casually. Carrying isn't about kills nor damage. Carrying is about winning the game. That could be clutch blitz grabs or excellent amumu initiations...or of course, just murdering the team quickly with amazing damage. I sort of dislike the term "AD Carry" because it's gives ADs a greater sense of importance. ADs do damage and get kills, it's their job. If the AD scores a ton of kills and murders the enemy team, that's standard play. It's expected.

Carrying also implies that you're doing more than just your job. You're also doing the job of others on your team. You're the AD and your support isn't warding? You need to be able to deal damage and help ward for your team. Then you are carrying your support.

Your tanks not protecting you as the AD? Then you need to position better and avoid getting killed while dealing damage...then you're carrying your tank because you're doing your tanks job. If you're tank isn't protecting you and your support isn't warding, and you are able to deal your damage, ward the map, and stay alive, then you're carrying both your support and your tank. Make sense?

So short form. Carrying is doing your job as well as everyone else's job.

Lethadind

10-11-2012

Thanks FG. I will expound upon that later as well. Credit, of course, will be given to you.

Honestly I can't believe that I forgot that.

Goaticus Maximus

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post
Okay, so, I've been slowly raising my ELO recently, after taking a month or two break from LoL and coming back, in the space of three or four weeks I've raised it by 350 points as of today. I'm in low ELO, and there are a few things that I've noticed that will help you immensely. This is sort of going to be a list of things that cause your game to go south, and then tips and "Did You Think of This" type stuff as well.

The Plan is to keep adding to it as I experience and remember more things. Other input is appreciated (but don't be offended if I don't put it in). This guide is not intended to have obvious things in it, it's intended to have things that perhaps you've never thought of before.

Also, keep checking back because I am slowly updating it with more information. If you find this information valuable, please give me a +1. The more a post is upvoted, the more people pay attention to it and consider it "good advice." I think it's good advice, and I want the word to get out. If you feel the same a contribution of one upvote (it's free!!) would help immensely in this regard.

Comments and encouragement are always appreciated as well guys! Thanks and enjoy reading!

-~-~-

1. MOOD

I'm going to begin with something that many others have said and yet I feel it should be reiterated:

How's your mood? Imagine if instead of reading this you were just getting into a ranked queue. How do you feel? If you have that "pit in your stomach" feel, then chances are you are going to play like you have a pit in your stomach. What I mean is you are going to play passively, and this can allow someone who is in a better mood than you to bully you. If you are pissed off because of flamers and trolls, then you are going to play like you are pissed off. I have a friend that does this constantly. He's incredible at League of Legends with just about any champion on any lane, except for when things don't quite go as planned. Especially when he feels robbed of a kill because they got away with like no health. He gets really mad and then continues to feed and feed because he plays too aggressive. There's a reason humans don't hunt lions with their hands - they're a lot stronger than we are. Grabbing the smarter kill instead of the gamble kill is a lot easier to do when you are in a relaxed mood. League of Legends is not a relaxing game, don't use it to de-stress, it will only make your life worse if you do.

-~-~-

2. THE POINT OF THE GAME

Another point to bring up that is often said: You win the game by destroying the Nexus. You do this by destroying towers. That's it. Everything is secondary to these two fundamental parts of the game. You can't win the game solely by having 300+ cs. You can't do it alone. Complaining also won't win your game. Shift + Enter will not help you in any way, in fact it won't even help your mood. Consider going into your settings and not allowing yourself to see /all chat.

More on the whole "destroying towers" thing. Stop chasing champions around in the base or through the jungle when your team is pushing, please. Let them escape. By running away they are saying "Here, have my tower," you are in turn responding "**** YOU *****! COMERE!" Meanwhile it takes three pushes to do what one push should have done just fine.

Disclaimer:

Essentially what Sereg Anfaug is trying to say (or what I'm going to say for him, haha), is that as long as you can still get that tower down after killing them, do it, but don't go on a merry chase through the woods to grab that Nidalee with 2% health, not only are you not going to catch her, but the opportunity to push that tower might not come again for a long time. Also, if they are a high-priority target like someone on a killing spree with buffs and potential for bursting an objective, then they might be more important than the tower, but this is rare.

I don't think many people realize the advantage you get when you destroy a tower. I read up on a guide once and it was enlightening. Destroying a tower opens up a section of the enemy's jungle to you. Before, it was their territory, a "go in at your own risk" sort of thing. After the tower is destroyed all of a sudden it's a lot safer to enter it.

I hear a lot of people saying to wait to destroy a tower because it unbalances farming opportunity. I say they're full of ****. You still have just as much opportunity because their jungle has just been opened to you. They're at just as much risk as you when they're farming. Say you destroy bot lane's purple tower. Their Ashe is now farming behind (for her) where her tower used to be, she thinks she's safe, well, Lee Sin (on your team) decides to be smart and goes through the tri-bush at their blue. Guess what? Ashe died. Opposite scenario, say their tower is again destroyed but YOU are now farming ahead of (for you) where Ashe's tower used to be. You were smart and warded the river and see them coming around to cut you off. Guess what you do? You go through that same blue tri-bush and hit "b," laughing at them futilely trying to make it to you. Obviously this doesn't work out all the time, but you get my point. Destroying towers is what advances the match. Towers take priority over everything except perhaps Baron and Dragon (Because teamfights at Baron and Dragon not only net you gold, but give you opportunities to...you guessed it...push more towers).

A Disclaimer on this that has been brought to my attention:

Essentially if you see that the person you are laning against is intelligent, and especially if they are already freezing minions at their outer tower, don't down the tower too early. If they aren't, go ahead.

The moral of the story, however, is to stop chasing people away from their towers and start focusing towers (and inhibitors). Kills. Are. Not. Important.

-~-~-

3. BRAAAAAINSSSSSSSS!!!!

I want to talk about Zombie Mode. Some call it auto-pilot. It's basically when you've stopped thinking and you're just letting your fingers fly around the keyboard and mouse.

This is a bad thing. It happens most frequently when you're tired, upset, or hungry. You can fix the hungry thing quite easily. Sleep will have to wait until tomorrow, and if you're upset you should simply not play the game until you've calmed down. You make so many mistakes in Zombie Mode. You'll do things like engage a 1v1 without realizing how fed they are (sound familiar?), you'll forget that you are the support and you haven't warded for the past 5 minutes (sound familiar?), you'll be so focused on cs'ing your lane that you won't notice the jungler coming up through your warded bush (sound familiar?). Fix this root problem, and a lot of the surface problems fix themselves.

You can recognize how prone you will be to Zombie Mode by your attitude and thought process while starting up a new queue. Are you excited, anticipating playing another ranked challenge? Or, are you simply hitting "Play Again" without any thought process whatsoever other than the desire to keep playing the game? I promise when you are feeling good and excited about playing another game it will go better.

-~-~-

4. STUPID THEORIES

I need to make something very clear before I go on, because much of the rest of my points will defer back to this single-most important point. That's right, this is it, the Big One. The God of All Points, if you will.

People are full of ****, but they like to act like they're not full of ****. Especially if someone else (who is also full of ****) agrees with them.

There are a lot of random theories and whatnot circling this forum that everyone is accepting as fact, when in fact there is no way to prove that they are even remotely correct. They are a cancer, and they are destroying the fun that this game can be. A lot of very popular, very false information circulates the forum and everyone simply accepts it. One of these notions is both sides of the ELO Hell argument. I'm not here to discuss it, so I'm not going to get into at all other than to say that there are way too many factors to consider about the existence of "ELO Hell" to say whether or not it exists.

Ok, actually, I want to provide my own theory about ELO Hell. I don't really think it's there, however I do agree that low-ELO play is far less enjoyable than higher-ELO play. What I think is that many people are really as skilled as they think they are, but when you think of that in a mass-effect sort of mindset, then everyone is as skilled as they think they are, and they are all playing against each other. They also don't realize that the people above their ELO are actually even more skilled than they themselves are. To say that people in the 900-1300 ELO Range are unskilled is dumb. Try grabbing a smurf account and playing your first few blind pick games. THOSE people are unskilled. It's a joke, because they're just beginning. There's a drastic difference between those players and the players I play with every day. As in drastic. That's all I'm going to say.

-~-~-

5. SUPPORT LIKE A FKING BOSS, YO

Okay. I want to address all those that are saying support is worthless, or that you can't raise your ELO by playing support.

I hate you people.

I hate you because you're full of ****.

Let me repeat that. You. Are. Full. Of. ****. That's right. I said it. You are a cancer that is infecting the entire 0-1300 ELO bracket. No one wants to play support because everyone thinks that support has the least impact on the game, due to the rampant discussions and guides about making it out of ELO Hell and **** that is all over this forum talking about how worthless of a role support is.

You know where that idea stemmed from? The fact that support gets little gold and never gets kills or cs. We LOVE comparing ourselves to others, and the fact that you can't really see or compare your skill at the end of the game as a support other than by assists means they got mentally pooped on.

Almost every single guide I've seen that the actual author got out of "ELO Hell" has mained support. I'm serious. There's even a guide where the guy mained support and then said you can't get out of ELO Hell by supporting ("except I did"). The **** did that logic come from dude?

Support has a massive influence on the game. Why? I'll tell you why:

- It's the support's job to ward. Wards win games right? How did the support somehow get removed from that equation?
- It's the support's job to keep a watchful eye on things right? If they do their job correctly their team should basically know where the enemy team's jungler is at all times. Knowledge is power right? How did the support get removed from that equation?
- It's the support's job to poke the carry and either set up kills for his carry or sustain his carry through the laning phase right? Well according to our friends that are full of ****, the AD Carry has the strongest late-game influence in the game, and yet the person responsible for getting him fed and keeping him alive gets **** on again. How did the support get removed from that equation?
- You ever had your support disconnect and you had to 2v1 on a bot lane? How fun was it? What was the cs differential at the end of the laning phase? Don't ever tell me support has the smallest influence on the game again.

What I don't understand is why people don't want to support, when their role is the easiest to fulfill! He's required to heal or poke (or both), ward, and keep an eye on the map. That's it! But no one wants to do it, so people that should be doing it aren't. Half the time people feel they are "stuck" with support, and generally have a bad mood about the game. How sad.

This single bit of false knowledge is probably the #1 contributer to the ELO Hell mindset, I would say. Bad moods and unskilled players playing where they shouldn't. People trolling because they don't want the support role ("I called top so I guess we're gonna have two top, huh?"). Last picks hopelessly try to call a role so they don't get stuck with support. Honestly last pick should be ecstatic, because he'll have the best chance of countering the other team's picks, support should be one of the first roles picked, because you can't really counter a support. If support was instead glorified (like it honestly should be, it's a ****ing important role), then those that are good at it would play it much more often, and even though, from a mass-effect point of view, win/loss would remain the same, games would be drastically more enjoyable. Honestly when I'm feeling sort of lazy I pick support all the time because of how easy it is to succeed at the role.

You want to know the reason I think so many people that main support got out of low ELO? They WANT the role, and they GET the role every time. They're excited to play every game because they got the role they wanted, therefore they play their role at 100%. Pretty philosophical, huh?

-~-~-

6. DON'T JUST CALL YOUR DAMN ROLE IN QUEUE

Team composition is SOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !!!!!! important. The way to win a game from the queue screen is like this:

1st pick: Hey guys I'm gonna take top. Malphite.
2nd pick: Sweet, hey I'll support Alistar if he's not banned. Otherwise I can Taric or Soraka. Whatever we need.
3rd pick: Alright guys, Well I'm best at jungle and mid, I can do either really. Jungle I'd do Lee or Cho. Mid I'd probably grab Kennen.
4th pick: Go Kennen, we need the cc. I can ADC. Ezreal or Vayne, depending on their picks.
5th pick: Actually I'm not that good with jungle, care if I mid (3rd pick)? I'm really good with Malzahar.
3rd: Go for it dude. I'll grab Cho, we need the health and CC, especially if we don't get Alistar.

Then make sure you have everything needed - health, CC, damage output (preferably an assassin), and hopefully some sort of utility as well. Make any necessary changes.

If teams did this (or even half the team) they'd win every time. You can't beat organization, but everyone's too god-damned lazy to be bothered with it, and so stuck on the "role they want" that instead the convo goes like this:

4: Top.
5: Mid.
1: Taking ADC.
3: Jungle then.
2: Dude I'm not supporting, I'm taking mid, sorry.
5: **** you dude, go troll somewhere else
2: I pick before you dude, deal with it. You want to call roles go to blind pick normals.
5: I'm not gonna support, guess we'll have two in mid.
3: Sigh.
4: ****ing ELO Hell.
And so on...

The point of calling roles should be to inform others below you what will be available once you're done picking. You should know every goddamn role before going ranked. "I can't support/mid/jungle/whatever" is totally unnacceptable. LEARN to do that role, for like a freaking week or more, then come the hell back.

-~-~-

7. DEERRRRRRRP, I LIKE TO MOVE AROUND!

While sinking into the furthest reaches of low ELO (and I mean the furthest reaches), I gained great skill at mid lane and jungle. Fizz was my main and even though I've basically stopped playing him except on occasion, he's still my most played champion by far. I learned Lee Sin and Amumu jungle as well. Whenever I got stuck with ADC I did horribly. I didn't understand why. I was last hitting well, getting fed early often, grabbing the right builds (I made sure of this), etc. etc. But by end game I'd always have a reasonable amount of assists and a ridiculous amount of deaths. My Miss Fortune stats (who I haven't played since learning what I'm going to talk about) are like 3/6/5 on average, with 136 average creep score. She's still my third highest CS average champ (all three top CS Champs for me are, by the way, AD Carries).

Then I realized something as I was getting destroyed during a game one time. It was incredibly funny, because it turned the entire game around, I think I ended up getting a triple kill (I was completely starved beforehand), and we ended up winning. The intuition was this:

All that time spent in mid-lane with Fizz had taught me valuable assassin lessons, and I am to this day a terrifying assassin with Fizz. However, an AD Carry is not an assassin, nor should they be played like one in the slightest! As an AP Assassin I would spend time on the outskirts of the fight, moving around to avoid randomly thrown skillshots, either waiting for cooldowns to end or for an opportunity to dive a carry. This is how they are played. I realized that this habit followed me when I was playing AD Carry, and I was walking around constantly in a fight, still using abilities and whatnot, but missing valuable auto-attack time - I'm sure my damage dropped by a considerable amount, as much as half of the potential that the AD Carry has. Once I realized this my AD Carry games skyrocketed.

What I did to fix this problem was I bought Ezreal, fell in love with the guy, and have used him as my go-to carry ever since. The fact that you are constantly spamming spells with him keeps the assassin feel I had, but every time I cast a spell it reminds me that I need to focus on auto-attacking. My average stats now with Ez are 8/5/9 with 160 CS. He's my top CS, and my second highest KDA champ. I'm not throwing these stats out to impress you at all, by the way. Those stats are laughable compared to other people I've seen and I realize that, I'm just showing you the incredible difference between my Ez and MF stats. Also, I'm 2 wins, 7 losses with Miss Fortune, and I'm 20 wins, 15 losses with Ezreal.

Never underestimate the effect of auto-attacks during a teamfight, and I'm not talking about just the AD Carry here. Even the odd attack thrown by a Soraka here and there can sometimes be a clinch factor in a teamfight - often times people escape with very little health, or *barely* kill someone before dying themselves.

Also, auto-attacks in lane are what separate a consistently won lane from a randomly won or lost lane (at least at my ELO). Especially if you're ranged and can avoid minion harass altogether. If you have the opportunity to throw out a random attack against your lane opponent, DO SO, especially if they are slightly overextended, (in the creep wave, not the lane) meaning if they attack back they'll receive the worse end of the minion aggro. Obviously if you know you're going to roflstomp a champion, then poking them here-and-there won't do much. But if they're reasonably intelligent, and the lane matchup isn't ridiculously in your favor, you need every advantage you can get, and all that poking adds up quickly.

-~-~-

8. NAW DUDE, I'M REALLY GOOD! LET ME TELL YOU WHY I'M GOOD

Knowledge and Action. The difference between the two is vast. They are both harmonious with one another and yet poisonous to one another. Essentially you can DO something without realizing why you're doing it or that you are even doing it at all, and you can also KNOW something and not do it at all. KNOWING helps you realize what you need to CHANGE in order to ACT, but it can also get in the way.

How do I mean? Let me tell you.

There was this kid awhile back, FaerellG probably knows who I'm talking about because we both had to deal with this kid. Any and every forum topic about ELO Hell that popped up you could be sure this kid would post something in it.

Every 30,000 word essay (I kid you not, most of his posts were longer than all other posts on the page combined) consisted of this format:

The kid has read up on so much random **** and knows a ton of stuff, but if you look at his recent 10 matches, every game, sure enough, you'll notice he fed them to hell, with the random 10/3/7 game mixed in among the 9 other bad ones. He knows so much and yet does so little.

This is the second cancer plaguing this forum. Knowledge without action. Remember always this wisdom:

"Knowledge without action is foolishness, and profiteth a man nothing." - Me, or maybe not me, it just came to me, perhaps it's in Proverbs, idk, who really cares?

If you know it's important to ward, you'll find it very easy to throw insults at the support for not warding. And yet, where are your wards brah? Also, on the flipside of this (just so we can go full-circle, I don't want to start another form of the blame game where the support feels justified for not warding), as the support, you know it's important to ward, so somehow it's not really your fault because you knew it, you just didn't do it. This is where the blame game starts. Someone knows something should be happening, doesn't want to take responsibility for it, and starts throwing blame around. The game starts going south because everyone's in a bad mood, and you lose. At the end you feel justified, and throw out statements like "report my [random champion] please," and have thoughts like "Man, stupid ****ing Taric never dropped a single ward, I hate ELO Hell."

Stop. Doing. This. It is crippling you. You are giving yourself a MASSIVE handicap, because you are "protecting" yourself from being at fault in some way. By not accepting your part of the blame, you cannot improve. You will never improve, and you will be like my friend The Example Above, always blaming and never improving.

-~-~-

MY OWN THOUGHTS

I'm going to add more, I realize these are some kind of "out there" points, but I've never seen them addressed like this before, and I wanted to get them down while I was feeling like it. In the future I'm going to add common mistakes that are hard to catch. Things like forgetting to auto-attack, or auto-attacking the wrong target, and how much effect that has on the game/teamfight.

List of things yet to come (mostly for my benefit so I don't forget):
- Auto-attacking - DONE
- Not dying
- Play your role
- The difference between Knowledge and Action, and why Knowledge can be so destructive - DONE
- Why they snowballed, a psychological perspective
- Why your team's snowballing effect stopped, and how to keep it rolling - See PAGE 3 for a small discussion on this.
- The difference between 1v1 strength and teamfight utility - why the early game advantage sometimes turns into a late-game loss. - Again, PAGE 3 contains a small discussion on this.
- You lost at champ select (not what you're thinking it will be, most likely)
- The Low ELO "Meta," how to turn it to your advantage - PAGE 3
- Why things like AP Yi sometimes work - PAGE 3

Wow, that list looks daunting. I might not do all of these things, I'm just brainstorming.

-~-~-

CONCLUSION

Anyway, hopefully this helped. Throw me some feedback (especially if there are things that I missed or if you completely disagree with something, I'm not good at this game and I am therefore likely wrong).

-~-~-

Disclaimer: If any of you ever use the information in this guide to berate a teammate, point out another's flaws, or justify your loss by throwing the blame on someone else, I will personally come to your house, rip your ********s out, shove them down your throat, and force you to swallow them with a heaping helping of stomach bile. It won't be fun. I do this because if YOU do this after reading this guide, you haven't learned a goddamn thing, and missed the entire ****ing purpose of what I'm trying to say. Any comments that mention how their teammates don't do these things (from here on out) in a negative way (but that you know and do them) will be downvoted to hell.

I'll agree with everything you said accept the support is more valuable than people think statement. I know what you're trying to get at by saying it's way more important than people think, especially in team fights, however it really isn't as effective overall on the game when people know how to play.

If top, mid, and the jungle properly play their roles then the only lane you really are responsible for laning is your own, outside of that you are in the lane to prevent your adc from getting denied and attempting to get a kill. However, if let's say blitz gets banned and alistar gets banned and the enemy team picks up soraka and you're left with either taric or sona... you are not going to be able to give your carry kills, especially if they aren't fully aware of what's going on. There are quite a few people that play this game and think as an ADC all you have to do to win is get good cs scores...

So, now effectively you aren't really helping your team with wards, you aren't helping your adc because you can't... You're now dependent on your team, which you are to begin with even if you aren't in this position. So you get bullied, your carry loses cs and maybe you even die and give up a tower to an aggressive enemy jungler.

Now it all comes down to team fights and considering you're weaker than the enemy team, well your prolly not going to magically come back. I've seen it happy time and time again, but it's not because of the support. I've played games as Kayle support where the enemy middle was 9/0 at the 15 min mark and penta killed our team and we still ended up winning. However, it wasn't because of me, I obviously did my job by helping my adc avoid getting blown up by kat but my team did the rest.

The reason people think that support is useless and would rather play mid or jungle is because those two lanes can control early game. If you are better than your opponent then you will dominate them and then be free to help bottom if they're in the kind of situation I described or top if they're having trouble. This could easily force your team to win early and be in the lead before the first team fight. Then of course as always it's down to whos team works together better, but at least you've hedged your bets.

As a support, you CAN get your adc fed, but only if they're paying attention and only if you get the right support. Aside from that, you are better off as mid or jungle.

If you are looking for High Elo Tips, Tricks, and Guides check out my youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/drwaddy

Goaticus Maximus

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
I just remembered some wisdom passed on to me by my betters:

Carrying
This word is tossed around pretty casually. Carrying isn't about kills nor damage. Carrying is about winning the game. That could be clutch blitz grabs or excellent amumu initiations...or of course, just murdering the team quickly with amazing damage. I sort of dislike the term "AD Carry" because it's gives ADs a greater sense of importance. ADs do damage and get kills, it's their job. If the AD scores a ton of kills and murders the enemy team, that's standard play. It's expected.

Carrying also implies that you're doing more than just your job. You're also doing the job of others on your team. You're the AD and your support isn't warding? You need to be able to deal damage and help ward for your team. Then you are carrying your support.

Your tanks not protecting you as the AD? Then you need to position better and avoid getting killed while dealing damage...then you're carrying your tank because you're doing your tanks job. If you're tank isn't protecting you and your support isn't warding, and you are able to deal your damage, ward the map, and stay alive, then you're carrying both your support and your tank. Make sense?

So short form. Carrying is doing your job as well as everyone else's job.

"Your tanks not protecting you as the AD? Then you need to position better and avoid getting killed while dealing damage"

That's impossible, if irelia wants to dive you and no one is helping you with her she is designed to kill you and will do just that every time... You can't carry a team on any position or in any game. The only thing you can do is help competent team mates who are either having a bad lane match up or just aren't doing well in the laning phase. If they don't know how to team fight or how to build their character, you're screwed and there is nothing you can do about it.

The reason high elo players are consistently high elo is because #1 they're extremely good at communicating and leading people with their charasmatic personalities. They can instruct and get people to listen to them, which gives them an extremely effective advantage over people who can't. That's the magic trick all you gota do is learn how to lead people, sadly it's not something you can always do and it's not just a skill, there are people who are just naturally talented and when the game is designed to be won or loss as a team there's nothing else you can do. I've had games where I went 27/0 as mordekaiser and stomped all over top and bottom, invaded and killed their jungler, but my team just couldn't win a team fight to save their lives. They all depended on me to do everything and since I'm only 1 fed person, the best I could do was try and take out their most valuable targets but when the enemy team figured that out and just blocked me every fight, we lost. People can't seem to accept that this game isn't won by one person, it's won by 5.