Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sizer

10-09-2012

UI question!...Is there any interest in updating the in-game team screen a bit?

Playing as champions like Shen or Soraka, I'd love to be able to have that information neatened up and enlarged, so I can quickly glance during play and see if anyone needs an ult instead of having to kind of squint at it. My main issue is the health bars. If they were fattened up a bit and more saturated, my eyes could pick up health drops faster.

I know a lot of games are played with teams on VOIP so it might seem like a minor issue, but it sure would make solo queue a bit easier

Fionarei

10-09-2012

How many people do you have on your team working on this?

Because they are about 40 something champs that requires attention.

You realise that even if you finish it one per week it'd still be a WHOLE year right?

So do we need to wait for another 5 year for this to finish and move on?

Considering how complex model rework is, I wouldn't mind just splash rework for now, and there're so many talented and gifted artist out there who may accept freelance work to help speeding things up. As an artist myself, I personally think that it should not take you guys this long to release each remake splash, considering how good you guys are.

1 week for planning and 1 week for drawing, isn't that suffice? So it should be 2 weeks per new splash.
If there're many people on team it could even be every week since different artist working on separate stuffs which I imagine you don't put 2 artist on same splash?

It's just my suggestion though.

pamyuriin

10-09-2012

Update Black Belt Udyr art.

Just look at the Chinese one. He looks like he's about to manhandle you and rip your balls off with his iron, vein bulging biceps with 1000 fists of fury. Theres also a pheonix. 10/10 would bang

Now look at the NA Art. Look how flaccid his arms look. His face is boring and uninspiring and his hand awkwardly sticks out with puny flames. 2/10 would not bang

If you do this you will get $5 from me.

Also make a Lux skin thats actually good.

Oh yes and revert back Freljord Ashe splash art. I don't play that skin anymore simply because she looks like a stupid bimbo cheerleader than the Chinese one where she look more dignified and bold. I mean, after all it is just a recolor.

Love you Riot

Sarah Lee

10-09-2012

Hi guys,

First off I just want to say that I really like the recent art reworks for Ashe and Soraka, and the upcoming TF rework looks great. I like that you're constantly updating the visual aspects of the game and bringing champions that have fallen behind back up to scratch. There are still a lot of champions whose models and/or splash arts are really outdated (Nidalee and Sion come to mind) but then it seems like you guys are getting there and working through them, which is really great to see.

I do have a few concerns however. Recently I was following the thread about diversity in female champion design, to which IronStylus was a regular contributor. It was refreshing to see that Riot is concerned about the level of variation in female body types, personalities and degrees of sexualization, and I was glad to see an actual discussion on the topic. I have noticed that in a lot of the newer splash art updates for female champions, the poses and proportions have been pretty... Extreme.

Don't get my wrong, I think that overall the new art for Lux, Miss Fortune and Morgana is great, and an improvement on the old ones, but I still do have a few issues with them. Firstly, they're all bending their backs in ways that don't look like they'd be physically possible assuming these ladies have spines. It seems like they're postures have been manipulated in ways that will show off their figures, but it's gone so far as to look like they're breaking their backs. We see the same thing in the new Freljord Ashe art, which I'm not a huge fan of, where her back is curved for maximum boobage. I've seen some threads on this so I know I'm not alone here.

My biggest issue with the new splash art is probably the proportions though. I know LoL isn't meant to be completely realistic and I think it's perfectly acceptable to exaggerate proportions to an extent (I mean look at Tryndamere, he's not exactly an everyday guy). The degree of exaggeration is however a bit ridiculous in my opinion, and it bothers me a bit that most of the female body types are the same. If you compare the new art for MF and Morgana, they both have huge boobs and inhumanly small waists. Morgana looks like she's missing a few vital organs, and her ribcage is showing like she's anorexic... Yet none of the weight she's lost has been off her breasts, funnily enough. I saw a version of the splash art where everything else had been left the same, but the guy had made her waist a bit bigger, and it looked much better, and sexier in my opinion. Aside from these issues I love the new art, but I'd just like it if the proportions were a bit closer to reality.

I know this comment is getting a bit long already, but I'd just like to mention something else as it's an issue that frequently gets ignored and downvoted. Any current plans to increase the level of diversity in skin tone/racial representation? A guy has already pointed out on this thread that some of the champions are quite inconsistent in terms of racial characteristics across their skins. Ryze, Nidalee, and Taric for example all vary a lot in skin tone and facial features in the artwork for their different skins. Human Ryze looks African, but Uncle Ryze is Caucasian. Nidalee is ambiguous but looks like she could be a very light African or Polynesian, yet in her skin Bewitched Nidalee, and her Chinese default art, she looks white. This inconsistency is a little troubling. I know IronStylus said already that he'd like to increase racial diversity, so I'd love to hear more from him on the subject. I tried starting a thread about it but I just got a lot of downvotes and negative comments.

So anyway, there's my rant. Hopefully some of my concerns can be addressed. Thanks for reading!

Edit: Added some pics to illustrate my points. Notice how Cait's racial characteristics don't change in her skins but Ryze's do.

Reynolja

10-09-2012

I have a general question about certain skins and possibly certain champs if they happen to fit the category.

How do you guys pick champs that will receive what could be called a pop-culture skin (for instance Sivir has her Spectacular and PAX skin which can easily be seen as Wonder Woman and Tron)? Is it simply qualities in the characters looks / playstyles that seem like they would fit with the reference?

Also what rules apply to you when making skins like this? Are there boundaries that you aren't allowed to cross but can sit on while still making the character look as much like the intended reference?

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Something that I feel could use some Artistic love would be the structures. Turrets, Inhibs, and Nexus all play such a huge role in the game, but really, they're wholly underwhelming.

The Ganon-esque pig-towers theme is a bit dated, especially since you got rid of the old shopkeeper.

Whatever is going on with the Inhibitors has always been a bit unclear. It was something like a year before I even realized that there were people there (doing some sort of ritual?).

Same story with the Nexus- plus, it kinda goes with the set.

That's really all I can think of besides the already-mentioned remodels.

Eletale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Anivia. That is all.

Karolina

10-09-2012

I made a poll about remakes like it was suggested some pages ago, but I've been told the thread has been done already ? If so where ? I can't find it :S

edit: Nevermind, found it through the dev tracker. I'm too slow ! (I do think mine is tidier though :P).

Wellhmmm

10-09-2012

This is a topic that I'm sure lots of people would be interested in. My question for you is:

When confronted with widespread dislike of certain artwork (most recently the Lux splash art) what is your approach as Art Director to analyzing and resolving this situation?

Personally I love the new Lux artwork, I think it is absolutely stunning! But how do you deal with the people on the opposite side of the spectrum?

Also Sion and Udyr need a touch-up badly on their standard artworks ahah! But I'm sure you guys are already on top of that!

ImTheFool

10-09-2012

Any chance at forum avatars for people other than reds/blues/greens?