Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-09-2012

Don't know if it's considered rude, but in fear that the thread just moved too fast and it's unseen...

1) Miss Fortune has ridiculously heavy eye-liners in all her models even though only two of the skins splash arts have eyeliners, Waterloo and Candy Cane. It's especially noticeable in her Cowgirl Skin for some reason, as though the artist laid it even thicker than it should be. It just doesn't fit well with her splash arts that her models all have such heavy eye-liners on.

2) Mecha Kha'zix has way too many explosions in his kit, as a result you can't even see his Passive. His Passive is an explosion, his Q is an explosion for some reason, and his W is also an explosion. If you proc his Passive with an auto-attack it looks a bit too much like his Q, and if you proc is with his W, you can't even tell the difference in a heated battle playing against him. In fact...why is his Q even an explosion anyways considering he just scissors his opponent with his two pee-claws.

Also in that same thread...is that what you envisioned explosions are supposed to look like when his Classic skin Void Spikes explode on target? It looks...so gentle for an explosion.

3) I asked about being able to switch between NA and Chineses splash arts a few months ago. You guys said you'd ask the splash art team about it and get back when you have time. But it's been months and there's still not update. Any word from the splash team?

As for positive feedback. Great job with Miss Fortune's new splash art and Soraka's splash art in her model remake! Those two are exactly what LoL needs more of! People say MF's new splash is too "cartoony", but what about a female pirate with two comically giant colourful guns and giant pirate hat isn't cartoony to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
please do better anatomy
Wait, how the heck do you do different coloured letters?

With that said...anatomies are all pretty good in the game. Maybe Lux's new face is a bit off, but that's about as bad as it gets. Her body appears to show her leaping towards the viewer, hence that pose. If you're talking about females striking a sexy pose, then I disagree in that I believe those are good things. While I don't believe ALL characters should be sexualized, sexualization is an artistic tool like any other and should be embraced rather than rejected. It adds to their appeal. Speaking of which...she needs surgery to fix that face!

SinsoljaX

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Hello all!

It’s been a few months since I joined the Riot art team as Art Director and I thought it was high time I said hello on the forums! The art team has been busy lately. We’ve been growing, strategizing, and doing everything we can to make awesome art.

Much of what we do for the game is inspired by the feedback that we get from you guys. Whether you’re curious about champions, maps, splash art, visual effects, UI or anything else…ask away! Also feel free to provide good constructive feedback. I’d love to hear from you!

I’ll look at this thread from time to time and answer as many questions as I can! Things are fast paced here so please be patient. Members of the art team close to particular topics may also chime in from time to time and we can break really awesome threads into their own topic.

Rock on,

Adam Murguia
Twitter: @RiotNarya
Summoner Name: RiotNarya
I personally think the concept artists should monitor the forums and give real consideration to the skin concepts the users have posted. Most of them have some real professional concept pictures and have tremendous amounts of up votes. At the end of they day you are making skins for these people, and they tell you what they want and even get you half way there with all the solid art work.

Vacus

10-09-2012

I don't have an art question, but I do have a question.

Is there a RiotNenya and RiotVilya to go along with you? (PS - Narya = best ring)

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
8 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremor View Post
When you choose to remodel a character, how do you go about doing such a thing? It has been the same for so long...I just wanted to get some insight on how you choose to change and remodel them.

For instance Soraka is taller, looks kind of of limpy and goat-like in a way- What inspired that?

Where do you find the inspiration to change something that has been the same for so long?
League is an evolving game. We update it, add new features and make improvements continually. Instead of doing this as a massive grand-reveal update, we tend to iterate. I think this connects us better with you guys as we get constant feedback on the changes we make and that's really useful.

We think a lot of the art needs an update and want League to get better and better over time. As teams level up, hardware and software improves, and technology makes new things possible, we want to take advantage of these things and use it to make things awesome.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
9 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspeshal View Post
remake nidareeeee!!!!

her art...not the skills... her clunky, poorly designed model art.
Will do.

Dulzara

10-09-2012

Do you think that we could get the Bloodfury Renekton tongue looked at? The bug still persists (to my knowledge) that causes his tongue to be painfully noticeable when he is hiding in a bush. I love that skin so much, it just kind of irks me seeing such a weird looking bug on the mighty Renekton.

ZilchDing

10-09-2012

Is it possible to have a new classic Akali splash art?

FredIsDead

10-09-2012

Less sexy, it's really, really, overdone and tired at this point.

Penakoto

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penakoto View Post
Anivia needs new default splash art, badly.

Tristana could too, not near as bad but it definitely looks aged.
I bring up Tristana, by the way, because if you compare her art to say, Teemo's new art, it does look pretty bad. Tris and Teemo had pretty similar quality default splashes, now that Teemo's is updated, Tristana's is noticeably in need of an update too.

I mean, look at the comparison.

http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflege...iginalSkin.jpg

Bright, colorful, detailed.

http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflege...iginalSkin.jpg

Huge lack of detail (the image is mostly just darkness), looks washed out, and it's as colorful as a first-person shooter.