Should the maximum camera zoom out be increased?

Yes! (Any additional reasoning?) 879 88.08%
No... (Why not?) 119 11.92%
Voters: 998. You may not vote on this poll

Camera zoom out is insufficient. Let me zoom out more? Reasoning included.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abandon Mae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Nor do I know what you mean by frustration controlling things - they'll actually have an easier time without because they don't have to **** around with camera controls just to get a decent view. And they'd quickly get used to a different lane feel. Actually, they wouldn't have to if you'd just designed it to be balanced with respect to team color or allowed a greater zoom in the first place.
zoom out = smaller objects

smaller objects = harder to mouse quickly

It's obvious you don't know what he means at all.

Duskdeep

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I encourage you to read Zileas's post that I linked earlier. The zoom level was a deliberate game design decision that they spent a lot of time on early in the development of the game. That thread closed itself because the original poster was downvoted by other people in the community.

I can't speak for the game designers, but, *for me*, map awareness in the form of the minimap, moving the camera to look around me and at other lanes, warding, etc. *is* a critical part of gameplay. It is a skill that requires work to develop and I am regularly punished with unseen ganks or lost team fights when I make mistakes.
I've already read Zileas's post. I've been reading through 3 of these threads over the past couple days and the discussion doesn't seem to be moving forward. Both sides keep insisting they're right.

Look, clearly there are a lot of players who disagree with you and Zileas. If these threads are any reflection of public opinion, it could even be said that most people think increased zoom would be an improvement for the game. I think one of the Riot posters even said themselves that people who post on the forums tend to know more about the game than people who don't because they care enough to read about it.

Do you think it would be possible to let the players try it for themselves, like on a public test realm or something? Maybe 1 or 2 clicks further to begin with. I really think that's all it would take.

boourns

UI Designer

10-09-2012
3 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdeep View Post
I've already read Zileas's post. I've been reading through 3 of these threads over the past couple days and the discussion doesn't seem to be moving forward. Both sides keep insisting they're right.

Look, clearly there are a lot of players who disagree with you and Zileas. If these threads are any reflection of public opinion, it could even be said that most people think increased zoom would be an improvement for the game. I think one of the Riot posters even said themselves that people who post on the forums tend to know more about the game than people who don't because they care enough to read about it.

Do you think it would be possible to let the players try it for themselves, like on a public test realm or something? Maybe 1 or 2 clicks further to begin with. I really think that's all it would take.
Unfortunately, as I've mentioned before, this is not really a call I can make. Feel free to try to catch Zileas's or Morello's attention. Also, keep in mind that people on the forum are a small, self-selected subset of our players. Zileas has to worry about the large silent majority that may not be very vocal at all.

Sereg Anfaug

10-09-2012

I don't like the "silent majority" argument =\ it really feels like an excuse to ignore feedback.

If it actually were the case that a large number of people would object to being able to zoom out a bit farther, you'd certainly find out as soon as you released the update that allowed it, because they'd stop being silent about it. I seriously doubt that this would be the case, however.

Xarkanadushak

10-09-2012

at the end of the day i could care less whether they increase it or not, however they desperately need to standardise it so people with high resolution/wide screen/double monitor setups aren't seeing more of the field than people on old CRT monitors. hardware performance and ping already provide too much handicap without screen size affecting it as well

Duskdeep

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarkanadushak View Post
at the end of the day i could care less whether they increase it or not, however they desperately need to standardise it so people with high resolution/wide screen/double monitor setups aren't seeing more of the field than people on old CRT monitors. hardware performance and ping already provide too much handicap without screen size affecting it as well
This would be an acceptable compromise.

While this does level the playing field, I'd be willing to bet that we would see a lot more backlash from this compromise than we would see from increasing the zoom. Suddenly, all the professional players who do actually have the widescreens and tri-screens will be up in arms because their vision just got reduced.

Sereg Anfaug

10-09-2012

Screen size doesn't affect it. That's actually one of the reasons they claim they limited the zoom, so there isn't an unfair advantage.

Personally, I don't understand why screen size should have anything to do with it at all - zooming out should diminish detail accordingly, not preserve it for higher resolution monitors.

Cryxx

10-10-2012

Riot - since you don't seem convinced the GUI is an issue,

Do a test code change. A GUI click thru. Make it a lockable - 2 options, 1 for mini-map, one for everything else in the GUI.

What I mean is there are times you level up you may click. I never click anything in my GUI but my mini-map, I use keybinds for everything. It's faster, than a mouse re-position when I may need to re-act.

Give me the option to CLICK THRU my toolbar (with some transparency). Make it a keybind to turn off/on, and then make the minimap the same.

Size of the screen does matter. Your minimap is farther to the right, but the last camera change they made moved everything in about 10% I would say.

If your running like 1280x1024 (I don't have a widescreen monitor) then moving my mouse anywhere in bot lane or bottom of the screen has me usually hit the mini-map.

It's a targeting issue, and if I shrink the mini-map anymore it's useless (I already have it down about really small to give myself space)

So when you move the GUI bottom bar (shrinking them doesn't help when you want them large enough to read)

I've been playing since beta and you using to be able to see more area/detail, it was almost perfect. When I stop playing for a few weeks and come back I go. "argh this in your face limit again, I can't even see move than 1 section of brush on bot). I notice it, and my brother and friends who've played a long time notice it also.

niqht

10-10-2012

it's a d*** 3d engine.. just turn the camera 180*

betatrash

10-11-2012

i posted the solution here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post29522097

implement an 'offset' camera lock. pretty simple. no response. no care. no play. simple.