Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MajstcKnightBola

10-09-2012

Please make honor effect matchmaking!

TDOne Terminator

10-09-2012

I think this update of resetting players to 0 for trading honor is awesome because in some games i play, they just trash talk... and they don't even contribute to team-they just keep screaming at us. I find this annoying and they still somehow had like 100 honor. I find riot team very responsible for their community. I like this Honor system. It is helping League of Legends Community getting better.

Winterstride

10-09-2012

I really like the idea of exceptionally honorable people being able to write personalized messages to people if they so choose. But think that offering a way to "work up" to that point could provide an interesting incentive for players who aren't super honorable but aren't toxic either.

For example, say you're a non-toxic player and you've either never been banned or warned or you haven't be banned or warned in a very long time and you're playing a game. You have a great time, get along well with nearly everyone, and eagerly offer up honor points to those who you feel deserve it. Now say as you're giving someone honor an additional pane pops up at random next to your big "Teamwork" button with three additional buttons. Those buttons read something like "Exceptional Leader", "Intelligent Attacker", "Wiley Defender"; basically three options that offer a bit of extra oomph! to the honor point as well as providing a tiny bit of information about why you decided to give it to them.

Over time, as you receive more honor yourself, you see these prompts more often and have the ability to add these extra shoutouts more consistently if you so choose. Eventually, once you've exceptionally honorable, you're rewarded with being able to type out a special message yourself.

I think this could work since it doesn't give trolls much of an ability to stick it to someone since the additional message is decided upon by you and your team, and to get to the point where you can come up with the message yourself would require a lot of commitment for your average troll. Only the exceptionally dedicated toxic player would make it that far, and I'm sure you could program a way to find those jerks in due time.

shade963

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

really who the **** cares... this system is meaningless in a game that's already on the down turn... with all the **** at world finals now is the perfect time for another game to take its place

Malcoire

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Forcing players to choose only 1 Honor category was an intentional choice we made to analyze some of the behavioral responses to Honor. In the sciences, this is known as an "Alternative Forced Choice" paradigm [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-alt..._forced_choice]

Although the Honor 'design' isn't exactly the same as a traditional 2AFC experiment, there are some similarities. Feel free to take a guess about why we chose this method
If I had to guess, I'd say that forcing someone to choose between alternatives allows you some insight into their decision making processes.

Sometimes a teammate might not be very helpful or insightful, but will keep the team spirit up - or maybe he has yet to improve as a team player, but is very friendly and polite. Sometimes, though, that person will be friendly AND polite AND good at teamwork... so what do you reward him with?

This puts the person on the tough spot of having to choose WHICH option to reward the other with. It makes the player think and review the other player's behaviour in order to determine which had more prevalence, which promotes reflexive thinking and requires you to review the behaviour you wish to reward, which is the exact opposite of always spamming only one kind of honour.

If a person only rewards teammates with one kind of reward, something's wrong, isn't it?
Kind of like how Tribunal rewards judges that carefully consider each case more than those who just spam Pardon or just Punish. right?

I think it also gives you some insight on what variables are perceived as more valuable to players: If the easiest crest to get right now was, by a significant amount, friendly, you can assume that people value friendliness and politeness over, say, teamwork skills - and that kind of data can be used to promote other ways to improve other areas and expand the experiment.

It also helps players, too. If I always get honour for being friendly, but I don't get as many for being helpful, I know where I have to improve.

I'm also a Psyche student, so pretty much everything you guys do piques my interest, although I'm far from getting a PhD at the moment :P

ValhallaXt

10-09-2012

One suggestion on this honor system is to build some honorable skins that could be unlocked/purchased by having some amount of honor. Could be even themed by the type of honor you have to "spend" on it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-09-2012
33 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardulus25 View Post
Yes!!! without a degree in psych I came up with this based on my observations of my own experiences and the player population and touch on it in my idea. Thank you so much for your feed back, I appreciate it hugely because I really respect you and find the work you are doing right now fascinating and awesome. Any possibility I could pitch my idea to you privately?

Edit: by pitch I mean garner feed back on what you think the viability of the idea would be, what the stumbling blocks would be, and if you think the benefits would be appreciable?
Might as well post it and have us all discuss it here?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-09-2012
34 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcoire View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say that forcing someone to choose between alternatives allows you some insight into their decision making processes.

Sometimes a teammate might not be very helpful or insightful, but will keep the team spirit up - or maybe he has yet to improve as a team player, but is very friendly and polite. Sometimes, though, that person will be friendly AND polite AND good at teamwork... so what do you reward him with?

This puts the person on the tough spot of having to choose WHICH option to reward the other with. It makes the player think and review the other player's behaviour in order to determine which had more prevalence, which promotes reflexive thinking and requires you to review the behaviour you wish to reward, which is the exact opposite of always spamming only one kind of honour.

If a person only rewards teammates with one kind of reward, something's wrong, isn't it?
Kind of like how Tribunal rewards judges that carefully consider each case more than those who just spam Pardon or just Punish. right?

I think it also gives you some insight on what variables are perceived as more valuable to players: If the easiest crest to get right now was, by a significant amount, friendly, you can assume that people value friendliness and politeness over, say, teamwork skills - and that kind of data can be used to promote other ways to improve other areas and expand the experiment.

It also helps players, too. If I always get honour for being friendly, but I don't get as many for being helpful, I know where I have to improve.

I'm also a Psyche student, so pretty much everything you guys do piques my interest, although I'm far from getting a PhD at the moment :P
You definitely are on the right track with your insights. 2-Alternative-Forced-Choice, or in this case, 3-Alternative-Forced-Choice (3AFC) designs provide some insight into the decision making processes of our players.

Given certain rates of positive behaviors, which ones do players 'value' more? How much do players value Teamwork versus Friendly? Given a player that shows equal Friendliness and Teamwork, what does a player choose to Honor him with? What percentage split is the population for this decision? How do these value exchanges correlate with actual metrics in the game such as game outcomes, or report metrics? There's a lot of fun analyses we can now run because we went with a 3AFC design instead of just allowing players to select multiple Honors per player.

Daen

Recruiter

10-09-2012

Are there any plans to allow us to see our own Honorable Opponent Crests, or at least see the fact we have it? A lot of people seem to be discussing the fact they'd like to have that option.

xkhazixmaster18

10-09-2012

Lyte, I have a question about the badges you earn. You said there were 4 badges discovered, obviously implying you have more hidden badges.

I tried to write this out a bit differently but it got wordy, so ill use numbers.

Honor when recieving flash animation and ribbon: 10 honorable opponent

Current Honor
~15 Friendly
~5 Helpful
~30 Teamwork
~50 Honorable Opponent

Since the original badge, i have not seen any new animations/ribbons.

So I have three questions:

Can one player have more than one distinction?

Is the ribbon the color of the highest distinction or the first distinction?
(I don't know if it's in anything other than red since I havn't seen it on anyone else yet and I'm just taking people's word for it :/ )

Are there higher tiers of honor currently accessible?

Also I worry that my relatively high honor might be cause for a reset. Could you check my games to make sure there isn't any? I mostly play with randoms, but a lot of them like to beg for honor :/