Am I misunderstanding Draft mode strategy?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MetalGuitarist

Senior Member

10-09-2012

I've just started playing draft mode a few weeks ago. I've been enjoying it much more than normal games but there seems to be some contradicting strategies. Some people believe that whoever picks first can choose any role or champion they want and calling a role means nothing... Where as others (including myself) think that the solo lanes should be reserved for the last picks so that we can counter-pick those important lanes and jungle/support should be picked first/second because they are harder to counter. The former mindset doesn't make any sense because it contradicts the entire point of draft mode; countering the other team's champions... if you come into the game wanting to play only one or two roles then you should be playing blind pick.

So I find it confusing that whenever I'm last pick, even if I call a certain role I'm usually playing support simply because someone on our team would rather play what they want than counter the enemy team. For the record when I'm first or second pick I always take jungle/support unless it's an unique situation... And I have a funny feeling that if these players were calling a role and I decided to take it anyways, they would throw a fit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiwiForcer

Member

10-09-2012

No, your mindset is the correct one. Draft mode is suppose to be a stimulation of Ranked games.
What you're telling me right now, happens almost 65% of the time in ranked games, unless you are in the higher elo. That is why many people believe in ELO Hell.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-09-2012

You can call a role, but you're not reserving it. Consider it a suggestion that your teammates can choose to ignore. Counterpicks are only a part of draft strategy - getting the picks you want and the team you want is also a part. There's no particular reason for one person to have priority over another, but there has to be priority for picking to function, so it goes by luck of the pick order draw.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hoizengerd

Senior Member

10-09-2012

the summoners code:

Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If you’re the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasn’t already been filled.

pick order > calling out random positions

and besides, Riot made it so that the people with the highest elo gets to pick first, thus in a way trying to insure the best game results...sorry, but you are wrong, just cause you got into the chat faster or managed to blurt out some role faster does not entitle you to play it


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mnun

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoizengerd View Post
the summoners code:

Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If you’re the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasn’t already been filled.

pick order > calling out random positions

and besides, Riot made it so that the people with the highest elo gets to pick first, thus in a way trying to insure the best game results...sorry, but you are wrong, just cause you got into the chat faster or managed to blurt out some role faster does not entitle you to play it
Criminal scum like you are why the community can't have nice things......


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kasadin Bot

Junior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoizengerd View Post
the summoners code:

Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If you’re the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasn’t already been filled.

pick order > calling out random positions

and besides, Riot made it so that the people with the highest elo gets to pick first, thus in a way trying to insure the best game results...sorry, but you are wrong, just cause you got into the chat faster or managed to blurt out some role faster does not entitle you to play it
Learn about all this and more down here at level 23 with the on hit darius and the tank master yi.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FeedingTrollNoob

Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zliplus View Post
You can call a role, but you're not reserving it. Consider it a suggestion that your teammates can choose to ignore. Counterpicks are only a part of draft strategy - getting the picks you want and the team you want is also a part. There's no particular reason for one person to have priority over another, but there has to be priority for picking to function, so it goes by luck of the pick order draw.

"LUL I R FIRST PICK I GO TRYND TOP!"..... Enemy instalocks Teemo, then 10 min later Mr. Tryndamere is wondering why your jungler stopped babysitting his lane to go dragon..... Poor Tryndamere.

Ignore this idiot. Solo lanes should 100% of the time be reserverd for last picks when playing with randoms. Ignore what anyone else says, its a fact. Randoms don't have the coordination / skill to deal with protecting the top lane champ they needed to FP for their late game strategy, while keeping up with the other lanes.

Edit: Ha, silly me, randoms aren't coordinated enough to even have a late game strategy. You should probably try to.... hmmm, i dont know, fcking trade champs around you mother loving moron? The guy who is first pick can still top if he wants, but dont pick your champ for top first. Why is teamwork and cooperation in champ select such a problem?

"Hi I want to lose this game, I'm locking in whatever i feel like cause I'm first pick, fck all of you."


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xtrordinari

Senior Member

10-09-2012

While it's usually better to try to coordinate with the people in your draft to increase the odds of a smoother game, obviously this won't always work out. I personally just try to fill in roles, but I make it known that my best role is mid and my worst are in bot lane.

The autolockers in my opinion in blind pick do the same thing in draft pick, and I'm sure they do the same thing in ranked play if they do it. It's just another type of troll/feeder and you have to deal with them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotSoSuperMan

Member

10-10-2012

Counter picking does matter, but not as much as you think it does.

You'll see all sorts of aberrations like tryndamere rofl stomping teemo in top lane in low ELO play. I'll back the guy that knows his champion over the guy that chose the counter pick that the lolcounter site suggested any day.

I'm sure I'll get to an ELO bracket where this is not true some day, but until then I'd much rather lock in a role I can do well than take a role I enjoy less and don't perform in. All while hoping that the random who managed to connect to chat 1st and get 'Mid is mine' out before anyone else is good.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fiveofswords

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoSuperMan View Post
Counter picking does matter, but not as much as you think it does.

You'll see all sorts of aberrations like tryndamere rofl stomping teemo in top lane in low ELO play. I'll back the guy that knows his champion over the guy that chose the counter pick that the lolcounter site suggested any day.

I'm sure I'll get to an ELO bracket where this is not true some day, but until then I'd much rather lock in a role I can do well than take a role I enjoy less and don't perform in. All while hoping that the random who managed to connect to chat 1st and get 'Mid is mine' out before anyone else is good.
this may be true, but the point of the game is also entertainment...and i tihnk whatever strategy you can get out of champ selection is interesting and fun...and may help you eek out a small % for your side


12