Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zatu

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Quick update. We’re writing up a full front page post about this but I want to get it out now that details are decided.

The conclusion of the playoffs will take place on Wednesday the 10th, starting at 5:00 PM Pacific Time. We’re going to be broadcasting from the same venue our World Finals are taking place, the Galen Center, and the players will be competing in a backstage area while we set up the main stage for Saturday. Players will be separated with no visibility of the opposing team. Due to the quick turnaround, we unfortunately won’t be hosting a live audience.

We'll once again be streaming in free HD on both Twitch and Own3D, with the same broadcast production features (player cams, replays, etc.). Casters will remain the same for English, and we’re determining what other languages we’ll be providing.
Make sure they can't see the minimaps!

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

I checked but couldn't see if this has been answered: will CLG and WE be playing Game 3, or are they just starting the 3-game set from scratch?

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
27 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringbear View Post
What steps have you taken to ensure the internet outages won't happen again? Since it's the same venue, something obviously needs to change.
It is a different venue (LA Live vs. Galen Center). And we not only are taking some more measures to ensure internet stability, but we also will have some internet redundancy as a backup in the event something else pops up.

As to the root cause, we are still trying to determine the exact root cause of these issues.

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
28 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
I checked but couldn't see if this has been answered: will CLG and WE be playing Game 3, or are they just starting the 3-game set from scratch?
Great question -

I know a lot of you have been asking about the format of the WE/CLG matches. As an update, they’ll be playing a fresh best of 3 match to determine which team proceeds to the Semifinals.

Given the unique circumstances that impacted the games on Saturday, and the event delay/change of venue, we’ve decided that in this specific instance, a new match is the best course to ensure a fair outcome. Both teams were informed and on board with this decision, and they are preparing accordingly.

Dazrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

@RedBeard - Why not plan the event as a pre recorded event, then just treat it live. Let the games be played out, and then put the casting over the top during the rerunning of the event (Casting is done live by persons who have not heard/do not know the result or any highlights) that way it'd feel like a live event still. Also this would benefit yourselves in case of any major dramas. If you had further problems with connectivity issues, then I imagine this would be the more desireable option as you can postpone the event even further with much less dissappointment to the fans (them hearing the events postponed is much better then them hearing it after 10 hours of waiting after the event is supposed to have started)

Also, do me a favour, give Deman and Jatt a patt on the back... They did awesome considering the ridiculous duration they were left casting (To those who didn't switch streams, as I did, I understand that those two continued trying to cast despite having no games to cast.. for 10 hours... Thats a long time to be continously talking..)

YoFuzzy

10-08-2012

question, will these matches/live broadcasts be posted somewhere incase we cant make it (such as youtube or twitch)

I Am Tolan

10-08-2012

and TSM vs AF? again?

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
29 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post
@RedBeard - Why not plan the event as a pre recorded event, then just treat it live. Let the games be played out, and then put the casting over the top during the rerunning of the event (Casting is done live by persons who have not heard/do not know the result or any highlights) that way it'd feel like a live event still. Also this would benefit yourselves in case of any major dramas. If you had further problems with connectivity issues, then I imagine this would be the more desireable option as you can postpone the event even further with much less dissappointment to the fans (them hearing the events postponed is much better then them hearing it after 10 hours of waiting after the event is supposed to have started)

Also, do me a favour, give Deman and Jatt a patt on the back... They did awesome considering the ridiculous duration they were left casting (To those who didn't switch streams, as I did, I understand that those two continued trying to cast despite having no games to cast.. for 10 hours... Thats a long time to be continously talking..)
Event has got to be live, just like any other sporting event. Wouldn't be as fun if it wasn't live. We are working on solutions that will avoid scenarios like Saturday from happening, but again, like any sporting event, some things happen (like lightning at a baseball game) that cause events to be rescheduled. We are doing our best to control these factors going forward.

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
30 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoFuzzy View Post
question, will these matches/live broadcasts be posted somewhere incase we cant make it (such as youtube or twitch)
Yes, all the remaining matches will be broadcast live in HD on Twitch and Own3D

Lørd Abel

10-08-2012

What number am I redbeard

I hope its 2,934,273