Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WeyAyeSpartanMun

10-08-2012

Due to so many pages and my lack of patience to search through them, I would offer two suggestions if they have not been suggested already:

1. Make honour that is given show during the lobby at the end of a match rather than after you have left the lobby.

2. Show which player gave you the honour at the same time.

This will help generate a reciprocal nature (you scratch my back I'll scratch yours) or at the very least, a thank you will be possible. Obviously you wouldn't have to give honour to someone should you get it, but it's always nice to make people recognise you for being nice in a community of players that rarely acknowledge that quality. It would also be a good incentive to actually give it to randoms since some people may hold onto it for their friends.

Just a thought I had.

Xailifer

10-08-2012

I don't really understand the point of honor, what does it do?

Jiestor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Love this idea, and would really like to see it used to help pair players with good teamwork points grouped together and so on. It would be a nice defense against those jerks out there that ruin games.

Yaakov Chung

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy1 View Post
Quick question, there are 4 icons on the honor flag, but only three in the window shown in the screenshot. What's the last one?
The other one was Honorable Opponent, for enemies worthy of yourself.

EliteNocturneNA

10-08-2012

man u can only honor a certian amount

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-08-2012
77 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan Snake View Post
Hey Lyte,

Is this a bug? Or am I just a really honourable opponent?

Thanks,

Cyan Snake
Someone in your previous game gave you an Honorable Opponent and you just didn't receive it until this game. It could be because he sat in the lobby for a long-time before awarding it to you.

Lyte

10-08-2012
78 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiales View Post
I though Honor was normalized to be essentially a per-game thing. If this is the case, the length of the game should be irrelevant.
It's normalized per-game; however, in the same window of time (say 10 hours), you can play more games of Dominion than Summoner's Rift and have more 'chances' to actually obtain Honor.

So yes, there's less time to chat in Dominion; however, there's also more opportunity to actually acquire Honor.

Ajido

10-08-2012

Lyte,

In the future might you consider telling players who it was that honored them? Considering we don't see the Honor notification till we leave the post game lobby, it's not like I'd see "Oh, summoner X honored me, let me return the favor". I feel like the Honor system could help make new gaming friendships if it told you who was honoring you, because generally if they're going to honor you, it meant they enjoyed playing with you for whatever reason. Seeing this info might spur me to send a friend request.

I really respect you and your team so I'm sure this was discussed already. Might it be something you'll do in the future, and if not, could you share the reasons against implementing it?

Fongletto

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It's normalized per-game; however, in the same window of time (say 10 hours), you can play more games of Dominion than Summoner's Rift and have more 'chances' to actually obtain Honor.

So yes, there's less time to chat in Dominion; however, there's also more opportunity to actually acquire Honor.
Can't tell if Lyte doesn't understand basic maths or if he doesn't understand the question.

If your actual honor value is normalized by something like (games/honor) and you get less honor per game in dominion. It wont matter how many games you play you will never get a ribbon.

Which leads me into my question. If I get a ribbon, then play nothing but AI games with friends will I lose my ribbon because my honor will get divided out into those games? Please answer this is important because I play a lot of AI games with my low elo friends. I need to know if I have to stop playing with them so I can keep my ribbon. Also, if I lose my ribbon will I be notified? because currently there is no way to tell if I'm still considered honorable.

Lyte

10-08-2012
79 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
Can't tell if Lyte doesn't understand basic maths or if he doesn't understand the question.

If your actual honor value is normalized by something like (games/honor) and you get less honor per game in dominion. It wont matter how many games you play you will never get a ribbon.

Which leads me into my question. If I get a ribbon, then play nothing but AI games with friends will I lose my ribbon because my honor will get divided out into those games? Please answer this is important because I play a lot of AI games with my low elo friends. I need to know if I have to stop playing with them so I can keep my ribbon. Also, if I lose my ribbon will I be notified? because currently there is no way to tell if I'm still considered honorable.
There are quite a few Dominion players that have Crests already so it's untrue that it's impossible to get one playing Dominion. You can also earn Honor in Co-op vs AI games, so why would you need to stop playing those with your friends? :P

About the math, there's a lot of variables players aren't taking into account. For example:

- There's more deaths in Dominion and chat happens a lot during deaths
- Average game times are shorter in Dominion; however, how does the % of time available to chat (relative to game length) in Dominion compare to the % of time available to chat in Summoner's Rift?
- What's the minimum requirement to earn Honor in Dominion versus Summoner's Rift in the players' eyes? Players that focus solely on Dominion may have different views about what's Honorable than players that focus solely on Summoner's Rift.
- Do we just normalize on a per-game basis? The answer is more complicated than just a Honor/game metric.

In the end, we're seeing that both Summoner's Rift and Dominion have similar percentages of players with Crests.