Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
21 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajido View Post
RedBeard, just out of curiosity who is the president of eSports? You seem to be the common face we see.
We don't have a President of eSports, but I am the Captain, so you are all stuck with me for better or worse haha.

toggle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
We don't have a President of eSports, but I am the Captain, so you are all stuck with me for better or worse haha.
Better than Marcou, so we don't care

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
22 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippenworstje View Post
Yeah, this fast answer proves u guys are really caring about us, the fans, but its just pitty for us the final is even planned much later, so at the end of the finals it would be 7am for us, hope i can stay awake :-)
We knew the World Finals would be bad for EU so we scheduled the Playoffs to accommodate your time zone for the most part, but things obviously did not go as planned. We are really sorry about this for our EU fans. Tough to stay up late on a weekend, let anoe a Wednesday night.

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
23 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladayen View Post
Potentially 7 matches beginning at 5pm? Hmm if CLG.EU wins vs WE we could be looking at having the games go past midnight.
A lovely night of awesomeness!

GGTHEPLAYS

10-08-2012

@RedBeard

What kind of compensation will the players get? This will affect their schedules and their finances. Some players have to travel from the other side of the world. What are you all doing to get them back here before the original finals date? and what is in store for them in regards to paying for flights and hotels? They will have to book hotels and flights for earlier that expected. I appreciate you answering all these questions and informing us what is going on.

YoshioPeePee

10-08-2012

oh god please win WE!

I can't take clg.eu's stall tactic anymore!!

Sineile

10-08-2012

You guys are awesome for acknowledging and taking into consideration the potential issues.

Oh and Redbeard, many thanks for signing my computer case on Friday! The "I love you" was a nice touch.

o O

10-08-2012

@Redbeard, you got a moment to answer these questions?

Let me preface this by saying, I do appreciate all the work Riot has put forth for the betterment of eSports. It's just absolutely amazing. Regardless of the hiccup that occurred yesterday, I know that League of Legends is an excellent game and it will continue to grow. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

With that said, I do wonder why there was no hindsight (or lack thereof) when it came to these "issues".

- Why were players not in sound proof booths? You mentioned this:

Quote:
We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate.
Even though the players were wearing sound proof headphones, they could STILL hear loud noises. This alone is a problem (can let the enemy team know objectives are being taken - such as baron). I do wonder why you guys didn't adequately test and anticipate these "sound issues".
- The players could see the minimap that was behind them if they titled their heads. Dyrus confirmed it on Twitter. Pictures further prove (that were at the correct position/angle of a player) that you could. Did any staff member at Riot not consider sitting down in the "hot seat" (where the pros were intended to play from) and attempting to look at the screen in the back?
- Sunlight. I don't know how that wasn't taken into consideration. If you host an outside event, expect weather to play a role.
- No LAN client? I'm sorry, but you really screwed the pooch over on this one. There is literally no excuse for not having one. You guys had more than enough time to prepare for this event. You knew it was going to be big. This is serious time mismanagement. As a developer who has about 10 years of programming experience, I know that taking your existing online client and porting it to be local wouldn't have taken much effort (especially with a team as large as yours).

My 2 cents.

I know that you guys feel bad for what has happened. We, the viewers/players, also feel bad. I'm just disappointed that you guys didn't have the necessary hindsight to avoid all of these problems. If you at least made an honest effort in being proactive in preventing some of these basic issues, I, personally, wouldn't have been this disappointed.

Kicking

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
A lovely night of awesomeness!
when are the playoffs continuing?

Cukimonsta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

It's really sucks about having no live audience. I REALLY love hearing those cheers it makes me so happy