@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Futa8ot

Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGEVOLCANO View Post
If Riot needs an example of an appealing design for women here's one. Not "male power fantasy" muscular but he still looks fairly strong. He's got that George Clooney handsome look going on so he's pretty attractive to a lot of women and men.
Trope explored. Talon.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeliriumTomorrow

Senior Member

10-08-2012

While I personally haven't had any really vicious reactions from people when they find out I'm a woman, I have had guys remove me from their friends list or start avoiding me after finding out through a conversation or inviting me to their vent.
These were people I'd been playing with for a couple months, so that type of reaction was, to me, more insulting than verbal harassment. I've done my share of lurking, my skin is pretty thick, but really guys? I'd like to see that sort of childish reaction disappear forever.

But hey, I've found new respect for Shaella in this thread, and also her stuff on Crocout with her fling RenBot is pretty good too.

And finally, I really REALLY hope Iron isn't talking about GEM, she of tournament prize withholding, 'omg guys stop harassing me just because I'm a girl, hear that, I'm a girl, broke up with my boyfriend to play LoL, hey look at me' infamy.

EDIT: I don't remember who said birthday suit Malzahar before, but yes please, I'd be all over that. I don't play him but my boyfriend does, and I would buy him that skin just to watch him play it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
My ex team mates name was "Judy Monica" - before i had ever met the guy, i looked at his name and said, okay it is a girl. Big deal. Never thought anything of it. I do not understand your point - Captain America is an American Icon and Hero, he is male. Yes. Black Widow, another hero, is female. If somebody had the name Black Widow i would assume she is a girl unless told otherwise. I do not understand your argument.

Actually, i will tell you something interesting. I care so little about gender, that in game, i do not even pay attention to names. I pay attention to champions. I refer to anybody playing Soraka as "she" and anybody playing Lee Sin as a "guy".

And i really do not care if you are irritated when somebody says a griefer is "successful" becasue that's what a greifer is, thats what they do, they grief. If the person they are talking to is griefed, then they are successful. Stop trying to be a psychologist and mask the issues like a lot of people in this thread please.
Just because you don't exhibit a particular problematic behavior doesn't mean that problematic behavior doesn't exist. Your entire argument is proof by anecdote. If I accepted that, I wouldn't think there was a problem to begin with, because I don't do these things either.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dunehawk

Member

10-08-2012

As a gay player, I adore the model of vlad. The Suave body language and poses, the elegance, everything his background would embody. Now if only his original model didnt look like someone took a huge white dump on his head. His blood lord skin just completely ignored his old model and made him into the stereotypical buff guy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phoebos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriumTomorrow View Post
While I personally haven't had any really vicious reactions from people when they find out I'm a woman, I have had guys remove me from their friends list or start avoiding me after finding out through a conversation or inviting me to their vent.
These were people I'd been playing with for a couple months, so that type of reaction was, to me, more insulting than verbal harassment. I've done my share of lurking, my skin is pretty thick, but really guys? I'd like to see that sort of childish reaction disappear forever.
I think some nerd circles aren't willing to deal with the nerd drama allowing girls entry brings with it. It's not really fair, but I doubt it was JUST because you were a girl; it was more likely they felt really awkward, didn't know what to do, and just panicked. Still totally lame of course.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Plasmafrog

Senior Member

10-08-2012

I agree with this thread, especially considering that most of the newer champions and reworks have been taking a much more sexualized approach to deal with a more general audience.

Sadly, it's a consistent theme now and I don't believe that they'll have any goals to turn a freight train around.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cpt America

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Just because you don't exhibit a particular problematic behavior doesn't mean that problematic behavior doesn't exist. Your entire argument is proof by anecdote. If I accepted that, I wouldn't think there was a problem to begin with, because I don't do these things either.
Just because you do not want to kill yourself, does not mean you do not have suicidal thoughts and thus you have a suicidal tendency problem.

That is what you just told me, and it makes no sense. You are looking to find problems that do no exists, and you are trying to champion a specific cause that really does not make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
...Making fun of people isn't normal?

Where have you been?
If you are being sarcastic: Degrading somebody based on gender or age is really pathetic.
If you are not: I agree.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

get dat birdman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
If you are being sarcastic: Degrading somebody based on gender or age is really pathetic.
If you are not: I agree.
He didn't say anything about it being pathetic or not. He was saying it exists, and it is commonplace. That said, it's completely off topic to the point of the thread.

BIRTHDAY SUIT MALZAHAR WHERe.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Winterstride

Senior Member

10-08-2012

@IronStylus

I think one of the things that bothers me is how you keep mentioning "variety" whenever someone points out that new champions are the same kind of oversexed woman we always get. You say variety like these new champs are offering something new in the visual department, which they aren't. Zyra's skins and Syndra's default skin didn't add any variety at all, not like their kits did. We're still lacking a lot of that variety you keep mentioning so it seems a little disingenuous to keep throwing that term around when we're still not really getting.

The closest thing we've gotten to variety is Diana. She literally delivered on every front, from her lore to her animations to even her "joke", except her alternate skin, which stripped her down into revealing clothing for no real good reason (something I begrudgingly refer to as "The Riven Treatment" (thank god for Championship Riven!)). We didn't need designs like Zyra or Syndra, we needed a lot more Dianas to balance things out!

I do understand that there are things in the pipeline now that you won't be able to change (or would actually be inappropriate to change due to themes and such). I can't wait to see the stuff you're alluding to here and there throughout the thread because the more I see you post the most I feel like you're really getting what we're saying.

Finally, I would never put down any of the people you work with. But I would ask you to expect more from them in the future where female champs are concerned - I'm sure they won't hate you for trusting them enough to deliver!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karolina

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Yeah how did it go from "let's get some more varied gals" to dudes being jerks to female gamers :I