@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grand Eleven

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Sadly, not even Lux can be an example of an un-overly-sexualized female champion anymore.

Look at what you guys did to the quintessentially classy female champion.

In both her original and Chinese art, she is in full armor and in a normal pose. Now she goes full on broken back boob-thrust, and even goes out of her way to show off as much of her legs/hips as possible by hiding the armor that used to cover them!

I think it makes her look bubbly ... if that's a word ...

Depraving

10-07-2012

I have to say as a woman, I rather liked this thread. When I started playing this game it was no surprise that most of the skins and whatnot for women are sexualized because that's how it goes with most games. I've never been a fan of it, but you have to put up with it if you want to play. I know there will always be these types of portrayals of women in games because it caters to a large population, but don't forget about the rest of us Some of us want to play a strong female character without having to look like a stripper. And there definitely are skins that at least cover up (I love the arctic caitlyn skin), but there's also a need for variation in proportions as well. IronStylus mentioned that they do tend to have similar bodies and it's almost just like making different costumes, and it's true. Most of the women in LoL have huge busts with tiny waists, which I guess is the ideal (and naturally, unachievable) body for women, but variety would be nice. Lulu was an interesting addition for this reason, she is a fun, whimsical, female character-- a nice change in pace. There are some great non-****ty skins, and I think there should be more of them. For every female character, it'd be nice if at least one version of her didn't look like she works in a night club or something of the sort.

I also think the OP is correct in saying that if you have sexualized women, there should be the same for men as well. It's not all straight white boys playing this game, so it shouldn't directly cater to only them. I think I do agree Varus is a character that more or less achieves this despite his fuzzy purple pants, but most male characters are as IronStylus said and just fit into those three categories. But maybe some girls are into the hulky body builders, for others of us definitely not ;D veins popping out of muscles isn't exactly attractive.

Anyhow, interesting thread and a lot of good points made. Like others said, it's not about removing the skins and what not, obviously there's a desire for them. It's just having more of a variety. I hope your art director does indeed take it into consideration and you and the team do start looking into female diversity. I'm sure a whole segment of your players would appreciate it.

Zerglinator

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Because in my opinion Sejuani looks genuinely out of place. If I can so easily go into her splash art and change a) the color of her horn, hair, pig, and flail b) put her in a desert and she can be right at home, we've fallen short.

Also, I'm actually completely with you in that I think it's silly that Tryn is from the frozen wastes and he's sans shirt. I think even that Ashe is wearing thigh-highs is a bit silly. But, I am in no way going to go back and nuke what has become iconic and cool.

Regardless of that practicality, they're iconic. I think Sejuani is what I spoke about before. An easy solution which could have been more clever.
Wait what? No! I don't think Trynd looks silly!

Okay, I'm probably going to sound crazy for this but...I honestly LIKE the idea of Sejuani being a thinner looking girl who can endure blizzards, wield a giant flail, and probably be the last person standing in a bar fight. Sure, the bikini makes no sense, but I still want her to pull off the "I can endure freaking anything with nothing but my own flesh and blood" idea...it kind of connects to her lore, in a way. Her clan is pushed to the deadest outer reaches. All she can get are scraps of armor, and she dares not take any more of the scarce food supply than anyone else does...

Maybe I'm just reading into the lore too much, but I just love the idea of her theme of being less of an armored warrior that doesn't get hurt, and instead just being the one who defends others by surviving off of the little she has, enduring what others can't, and simply outlasting everything else.

I'm so tired right now...I hope this is coherent...

Zerg out.

Jayhawks

10-07-2012

pantheon has a shirtless skin

but yeah, we needs our womens to be s.lutty!!!

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

End result of this thread for me: greatly increased respect for IronStylus.

Still think Riot is a male dominated company making a misogynist product (unintentionally, perhaps), but I like this guy. I think he's on the level.

L2 Sentinel

10-07-2012

I pushed Lulu and the other yordles aside because I felt like they were a distraction, but there isn't a champion I adore more. She is tied with Lee Sin as my favorite, and that surprises me. Blind Monks are my weakness.

Nyarii

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achenar View Post
I think the fundamental thing is that there is a difference between 'attractive' and 'sexy' - and while sexy isn't a bad thing in and of itself, when it's all that's available it feels very objectifying, and makes playing a little bit uncomfortable for even a hardcore female fan.
^ This was a good post.

The problem is not "girls dress skimpy" or "girls have big ****" by themselves, but rather the fact that these attributes almost always feel like "the artist needs to include some boobs so that 14-year-old boys will buy it".

When a game presents a woman in a chain mail bikini, while the men around her are in full plate, it just looks silly. A woman still has a jugular vein in her neck. She still has a femoral artery in her upper thigh. She would want to protect these life-threatening-injury areas just as much as a man would.

lemonchief

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Generalizations are kind of unavoidable. If I were to be all inclusive, I'd have to say everyone is attractive. Still, the male champions are already pretty diverse. There is something for everyone. But for the sake of mass sexual appeal, I had to do some generalizing, yes.
I sincerely doubt anyone is attracted to Urgot. Anyone.

MTaur

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
Yeah, anatomy is funky, but otherwise is almost powergirl-ish

an aside, powergirl's outfit is silly too
Original Lux splash remake here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2573194

I used to think her face was messed up, but really it was how down and to the left it was from where it should be that threw me off. They actually fixed her neck a little for the release, but not enough. Her face itself actually looks good now that it's not coming out of her shoulder.

Spine is still bendy-twisty after the edit. For some reason, only the women have to be bent and twisted to be more "dynamic", and it weirds me out, and I can't think of any reason other than that it's supposed to be sexy. It just gives me a headache trying to process it. Just trying to figure out what I was even looking at immediately put it in the "Escher Girls" file mentally. (Did I mention the head was coming out of her shoulder, or at the very least she was 20% ostrich in the old shot?)

If you are over the age of 19 and try to do that pose, YOU WILL DIE. This is your only warning.

(It was also pointed out to me by a friend that Explorer Ezreal is also a bit bendy. Probably the closest thing to an Escher Boy the game has. There you have it, more evidence that Ezreal is female, if you were looking for any.)

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarii View Post
The problem is not "girls dress skimpy" or "girls have big ****" by themselves, but rather the fact that these attributes almost always feel like "the artist needs to include some boobs so that 14-year-old boys will buy it".

When a game presents a woman in a chain mail bikini, while the men around her are in full plate, it just looks silly. A woman still has a jugular vein in her neck. She still has a femoral artery in her upper thigh. She would want to protect these life-threatening-injury areas just as much as a man would.
all women are trained in girl-fu, a style of fighting based on dancing around and taking your clothes off to distract men before disemboweling them

it's highly ineffective, but our male overlords kinda force us