@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Eleven View Post
As are thousands of poses that appear in comics for both male and female heroes. Reality is stretched and distorted to convey the action, drama, awe, or whatever intended emotion the artist is trying to convey in the panel.

Just because you're trying to redefine the name of the pose to "non-action" doesn't change that.
I'm not going to wade into the comic context because not only do I think many comics are jokes, but it has nothing to do with whether the splash art is suitable to the champion.

I redefine nothing. I merely state that Fiora's pose is ludicrous and does not deserve to see the light of day. You're the one trying to say "But it belongs to this particular class of ludicrously exaggerated poses and that makes it okay," which is both a red herring and simply incorrect.

A fencer should not be drawn in a position that embarrasses fencers everywhere with her apparent incompetence and awkwardness. It's really quite simple.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeNirvana View Post
In general, though, characters geared towards sexually arousing male viewers focus on being off-balance, helpless, laying prone, or otherwise passive. This applies to both heterosexual men and straight men, by the way. This is why women in high-heels are traditionally attractive to men - the heels subconsciously make them more dependent on men because they can't engage in combat or running. In extreme cases, this leads to practices like foot-binding.

I think it is notable that a lot of female characters in LOL have the off-balance pose while I can't think of any male characters with an off-balance or prone pose. I don't think it's a problem in every case, but it's DEFINITELY a problem in Fiora's art.
Fiora's art is silly anyways

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
34 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekrose View Post
Dear GD, how the bloody hell did this guy get upvotes? Not five months ago the same thread would pop up and it'd get downvoted to oblivion.
I'm glad we changed that mentality.

BerserkSheal

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Didn't though, as some arguments are against the poses of the character art and others are about how the female characters in general tend to look.

Both arguments just somehow got merged.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I miss the good old days where downvotes flowed freely

chumbler

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkSheal View Post
Didn't though, as some arguments are against the poses of the character art and others are about how the female characters in general tend to look.

Both arguments just somehow got merged.
Probably because they are related issues.

Zerglinator

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
I miss the good old days where downvotes flowed freely
Well, if you want downvotes so badly...

I'll donate to a worthy cause.

rjtribble

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

*** Sells? Have you ever watched television for the younger female demographic, I.e. Bravo, MTV, VH1....

rjtribble

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Lol se x is censored

L2 Sentinel

10-07-2012

I edited some of my explanations to be more consistent and clear as to why they are or are not, in my opinion, sexualized. My definition may seem arbitrary to some, but I still have an obligation to be consistent. If someone thinks I am being inconsistent, I'd love to know why so that I may correct it.