[Champion Remake] Viktor, the Machine Herals

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

10-06-2012

This redesign’s a bit heavy (although not overcomplicated or difficult to understand as far as function goes), so I’ll be holding off a bit on the parentheticals for now and getting everything out of the way here:

-First and foremost, removing his Hex Core item. It was a more or less purposeless gimmick, and hardly expressed the notion of Glorious Evolution (TM).

-Additionally, changing Viktor’s autoattacks from Ranged Projectile to Melee, and increasing his base movespeed and defensive stats to compensate.

-Taking the “evolution points” aspect from Kha’Zix because they don’t make sense or belong on him—regarding Khaz, I will be reworking his kit to become a more flavorful type of assassination, modeled more after such insects as the assassin beetle and preying mantis, as well as changing him from “from the Void because you guys said you wanted more Void champs and this guy was lying around so we figured it’d shut you guys up for a bit” to “mantis changed by the Plague Jungles,” which was his original design before Riot tried to (ineffectively) kill two birds with one stone.

-The way this kit is designed, the main focus of Viktor will be his evolution, allowing players to build him in a variety of ways, depending on what the team needs or what situations they are faced with. This was a bit tricky, as I had to create three different abilities that encapsulate three different playstyles (in this case, Siege Mage, Magic Bruiser, and Support) that both fit together in terms of the kit as a whole, as well as in terms of augmentations—the player should be able to create any combination of augmentations (Qw, Qe, Wq, We, Eq, Ew, and qwe) and still have a coherent and defined playstyle. This means that every Level 1 augmentation must be relevant to his other two abilities, and his Level 2 augmentation must solidify his role.

In the parentheticals, as opposed to detailing the reasoning behind his abilities (as they should be fairly obvious—long range damage with Seige, survivability and AoE disruption with Bruiser, and constant debuff with Support), I will detail the different combinations and how they would affect his playstyle.

Innate: Evolving Technology

-Whenever Viktor augments one of his abilities, he gains bonus stats every minute, capping at 10 minutes. (Applies for each augment point)

Death Ray: 3 AP/min (up to 30)

Hextech Carapace: 30 HP/min (up to 300)

Power Transfer: 1.5% CDR/min (up to 15%)

(Backs up his evolution-based gameplay, granting Viktor the bonus stats he needs as dictated by his Glorious Evolution upgrades.)

Q: Death Ray

-Viktor uses his robotic arm to fire a laser beam that sweeps across in a chosen path, dealing 70/115/160/205/250 + (70% AP) magic damage to every enemy it hits.

Augment Level 1: Death Ray’s range and length are increased by 200 units. (passive) Viktor’s spells do an additional 30% of their damage over 4 seconds. (Viktor’s robotic arm changes in appearance, possibly revealing some sort of energy source behind the wrist)

Augment Level 2: Fires two combined lasers, increasing the damage of the ability by 30% and its width by 100%. (Viktor creates another robotic arm, identical to the first)

Range: 700 (placement), 700 (skill shot length)

Targeting Type: Skill Shot (vector)

Cooldown: 13/12/11/10/9

Base: Medium

Scaling: Medium

Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 mana

(Q Level 2, W Level 1 = long-range seige mage that can deal with enemies that can close gaps, such as assassins and bruisers; Q Level 2, E Level 1 = long-range seige mage that deals more damage, and can easily reposition while kiting enemies in the process.)

W: Hextech Carapace

-(passive) Viktor’s robotic carapace responds to external threats, granting him a stack of Hextech Carapace for 6 seconds every time he receives damage, increasing his armor and magic resist by 3/4/5/6/7 per stack (stacks up to 5 times).

-Viktor expels the outer layer of his robotic carapace, shedding all Hextech Carapace stacks, knocking all nearby enemies away, and dealing 16/25/34/43/52 + (15% AP) magic damage per stack.

Augment Level 1: Viktor no longer loses his Hextech Carapace stacks upon using the ability. (passive) Viktor’s autoattacks deal an additional 30% of his AP as bonus magic damage. (Viktor plates himself in more prominent armor, his non-scepter hand becomes encased in a thick mechanical gauntlet)

Augment Level 2: Viktor can now maintain up to 10 stacks of Hextech Carapace. (Viktor’s armor adapts to become even thicker, creates vents for heat output)

Range: 550 (diameter of AoE), 500 (knockback distance)

Targeting Type: None

Cooldown: 17/16/15/14/13 seconds

Base: Low

Scaling: Low

Cost: 65 mana

(W Level 2, Q Level 1 = high-threat magic damage bruiser that can deal lots of AoE damage while taking hits like a champ; W Level 2, E Level 1 = super tanky bruiser that excels at dueling and closing gaps.)

E: Power Transfer

-Viktor creates an electrical link between a target enemy and his Hex Core, stealing 10/15/20/25/30% of their movespeed, 10/20/30/40/50% of their attackspeed as long as the link persists, and dealing 32/50/68/86/104 + (26% AP) magic damage every second for up to 5 seconds, or until the target enemy leaves leash range. The stolen stats decay over 3 seconds after the link expires.

Augment Level 1: Power Transfer additionally steals 10 AP per second, lasting 5 seconds after the link expires. (passive) Viktor’s autoattacks bounce to up to 3 additional enemies, dealing 20% less damage after each bounce (includes on-hit effects). (Viktor’s Hex Core begins arcing with electricity)

Augment Level 2: Power Transfer now additionally effects enemies around the initial target (Viktor only gains stats from the initial target). (Viktor’s Hex Core evolves, becoming more formidable and sparking more violently)

Range: 600 (cast range), 750 (leash range)

Targeting Type: Targeted

Cooldown: 10 seconds

Base: Low

Scaling: Low

Cost: 45/50/55/60/65 mana

(E Level 2, Q Level 1 = debuffing support that can deal constant AoE magic damage per second; E Level 2, W Level 1 = tankier support that can walk into the thick of battle and provide more direct offensive utility.)

R: Glorious Evolution!

-(passive) Ranking up this ability grants Viktor 1 Augmentation Point, which can be spent on an ability to increase its effectiveness.

-(active) Viktor refreshes the cooldown of the last ability he used.

Range: Self

Targeting Type: Self-Cast

Cooldown: 40/32/24

Base: None

Scaling: None

Cost: 100/50/0 mana

(Aside from allowing Viktor to augment his other abilities, allows him to further specialize by casting one of his abilities twice in quick succession—Death Ray for two powerful long-range AoE nukes, Hextech Carapace for more AoE disruption and damage that increases in potency the longer he’s in a fight, and Power Transfer to affect even more targets with the debuff.)

Starting Items: Doran’s Ring (if going Seige route mid); Boots + 3 pots (if going Magic Bruiser route top); Faerie Charm + wards (if going Support route bot)

Finished Suggested Build:

(Siege)- Sorc Boots, Deathcap, Archangel’s Staff, Morello’s Evil Tome, Void Staff, Zhonya’s Hourglass

(Bruiser)- Merc Treads, Rod of Ages, Rylai’s, Lich Bane, Will of the Ancients, Randuin’s/Banshee’s Veil

(Support)- Merc Treads, Aegis, Locket of the Iron Solari, Frozen Heart, Abyssal Scepter, wards

Overview: Not much to say that I already haven’t said—turned an otherwise sloppy kit and altogether unnoticeable gimmick (anyone that picked anything other than Augment: Death became woefully ineffective, and his Hex Core actually hampered his potential effectiveness for no reason aside from “hey what would it be like if we had a champion that came with an item, it would be like the weapon he has even though every other champ that has a weapon doesn’t have it as a permanent part of their inventory”) into a full-on herald of techmaturgical augmentation and the Glorious Evolution that will surely follow. Players are now free to evolve to match their current situation and the future to follow, whether that means becoming a long-range mage, magic bruiser, or crippling support (and all variations therein). A good Viktor player would carefully study the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy team—as well as his own—and choose his augmentations from there. In a sense, there’s no true one-size-fits-all counter to Viktor’s playstyle, as it is meant to evolve around the opponent, so in order to best the Machine Herald, one’s only hope is to evolve past him, paying attention to how he’s specializing and playing accordingly (baiting his skillshots and bringing the fight to him for Seige, taking him out of the fight early so you can get to his squishier teammates for Bruiser, and not trying to make aggressive plays in-lane or sticking too close to your teammates during teamfights for Support).

ItemsGuy

10-06-2012

I haphazardly misspelled Herald but I won't make another thread because that's forum pollution!

matrixEXO

10-06-2012

Ninja edit. I decided to compete. Not entering this for CCFC Kit Remake though.

ItemsGuy

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixEXO View Post
Ninja edit. I decided to compete. Not entering this for CCFC Kit Remake though.
Oh, no, don't worry, I'm only entering Heimerdinger in the CCFC.

I've just got an entire blog full of these and figure I'd start posting them for more feedback.

Bliztron

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
Oh, no, don't worry, I'm only entering Heimerdinger in the CCFC.

I've just got an entire blog full of these and figure I'd start posting them for more feedback.
I just looked at Brand's remake yopu did and you f*cking ruined him. He is rweally balanced, fun, and probably one of the most interactive designs thusfar. Reading it and you saying "He's just like all the other Mages" REALLY annoyed the hell out of me

CardianChevalier

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliztron View Post
I just looked at Brand's remake yopu did and you f*cking ruined him. He is rweally balanced, fun, and probably one of the most interactive designs thusfar. Reading it and you saying "He's just like all the other Mages" REALLY annoyed the hell out of me
I really don't know where this guy gets off. You can't just come up with remakes and act like their so much better just because you have a degree. I'm pretty sure Morello and the other champion designers have degrees too and know what they're doing.

Please stop posting these "remakes". You're accomplishing nothing more than upsetting people.

ItemsGuy

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliztron View Post
Read: "I own really hard at this champion why did you change him!!!!!!"

And how is he not unlike the other mages? He is a mish-mash of magic damage-dealing abilities with a bit of utility thrown in. You know who else is? Ahri, Anivia, Annie, Cass, Fiddlesticks, Karthus, Kassadin, LeBlanc, Malzahar, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Orianna, Ryze, Swain, Veigar, Viktor, Xerath, Ziggs, and Zyra. When "throw down all your abilities as quickly as possible" becomes the only facet of your gameplay aside from a few throwaway gimmicks (such as Syndra's "throw down two seeds for a bit of extra damage" mechanic), that's where good game design is spit upon and thrown out on the street. There is nothing new about Brand. There is nothing characteristic about Brand. If, as a new player, you looked at his design, you would not be able to guess at how he played. One might think, "oh, this guy is fire, he probably sets people on fire and I know what fire does." That is not the case. What Brand does, is do a lot of AoE damage in a small period of time. That's not fire, that's not readability, that's not characteristic, and that's not good game design.

Brand's combo "gimmick" has little to nothing to do with him. If somebody is affected by you Innate and you throw a fireball at them it...stuns them? If you hit them with your AoE it...does more burst damage? The only part of that system that worked was the spreading effect, but even that wasn't done as well as it could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorekHedgemon View Post
I really don't know where this guy gets off. You can't just come up with remakes and act like their so much better just because you have a degree. I'm pretty sure Morello and the other champion designers have degrees too and know what they're doing.
Of course I can't just come up with remakes and act like they're so much better because I have a degree. I can, however, come up with a detailed explanation of why every single decision I have made is an improvement over the original--and I have, it's kind of the brunt of all of this work--and the fact that I've actually taken time to study the psychological effects between the player and the game and realized that the game itself is only as powerful as the experience it enables or is a vessel for gives me all the more reason to work for these changes. And I understand that you guys are angry at these changes--people always fight change, because change is scary, like lightning and shadows. But sit tight, caveman, change isn't really something you can prevent. I'll see to it.

Quote:
Please stop posting these "remakes". You're accomplishing nothing more than upsetting people.
Again, I understand that you may be upset because I have created a champion that you no longer know how to "own hard" with. But until you can actually refute my point-by-point and explain why good champ design is a bad thing, I will continue to post these threads.

LightningAcorns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Hey guys let's actually not talk about the changes he made to Viktor and criticize his other designs without explaining why other than "They were strong already, so why do they need a change?" and "Riot knows what they're doing because they make money."

CardianChevalier

10-07-2012

I have only played Viktor once. I am not "upset" because I can "no longer own hard" with him. I can't own hard with somebody I've touched on in maybe one game and two A.R.A.M.s. The point of the matter is you are (or at least I am anticipating you are) flooding the forum with a bunch of lengthy, over worked, completely unnecessary "reworks" of champions that the majority of the community feel do not need to be touched. What's next? You gonna rework Orianna? No more ball, more clockwork? How do you think Ocelote would feel? How do you think the designers who put all that effort into trying to make Orianna come to life feel? I do not think Riot appriciates someone coming into their forum and telling them that they've made their champions, champions they have put months of hard work into, wrong. I know that if I worked at Riot, and I saw some random forum thread saying that my champion didn't make any sense and sucked, I would feel pretty offended.

How would you feel if you made your own game, with your own characters, putting in as much or more effort into them as Riot has, and then someone comes along and tells you that you did everything wrong?

Think before you post. You never know who exactly you might be upsetting.

ItemsGuy

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorekHedgemon View Post
I have only played Viktor once. I am not "upset" because I can "no longer own hard" with him. I can't own hard with somebody I've touched on in maybe one game and two A.R.A.M.s. The point of the matter is you are (or at least I am anticipating you are) flooding the forum with a bunch of lengthy, over worked, completely unnecessary "reworks" of champions that the majority of the community feel do not need to be touched. What's next? You gonna rework Orianna? No more ball, more clockwork? How do you think Ocelote would feel? How do you think the designers who put all that effort into trying to make Orianna come to life feel? I do not think Riot appriciates someone coming into their forum and telling them that they've made their champions, champions they have put months of hard work into, wrong. I know that if I worked at Riot, and I saw some random forum thread saying that my champion didn't make any sense and sucked, I would feel pretty offended.

How would you feel if you made your own game, with your own characters, putting in as much or more effort into them as Riot has, and then someone comes along and tells you that you did everything wrong?

Think before you post. You never know who exactly you might be upsetting.
I don't care about upsetting people. You can spend 100 years lovingly crafting a boat, but if that boat doesn't sail as well as it could've with 100 years of work, I'm going to criticize you on it and then proceed to build a better boat. I don't care that people have worked long and hard on these champions. If they're doing it without the knowledge required to make it the best they can be (or at least facing in that general direction--I do not claim to have perfect knowledge of game design, but I do know the direction one must take in order to begin to make something the best it can be), I'm going to be loud about it, and I'm going to bust my ass until I'm in a position to drag this game out of the mud, polish it off, and set it in the right direction before going off to make my own games.

You are certainly not a person that is built to give or receive critique, as most unperceptive people are. You're that person in art class that tries to refute everyone's critiques on critique day with such comments as, "but I worked really hard on it!" or "you don't understand, that's my style!" If your grasp on perspective is lacking and your proportions are way off, you're going to get called out on it. You are then expected to either fix it or use that knowledge to make your future work better. That's how adults work.

Now, I trust that Riot Games Inc. is a company run by adults. That's really the only way they'll survive as a company--should they deny faults when they're brought to their face, taking the "I don't like this because it means I'm wrong and there's no way I can be wrong" approach, LoL will be devoured by a younger, hungrier game that takes its design seriously and is uncompromising in its march towards constant improvement and positive growth.