@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekrose View Post
Dear GD, how the bloody hell did this guy get upvotes? Not five months ago the same thread would pop up and it'd get downvoted to oblivion.
It helps that Ironstylus has begun legitimating this sort of discussion and even pushing for change in female art design.

Now we just brace for the inevitable backlash from gamers who either don't understand or don't care about the issue.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

this thread =

Attachment 537839

+

Attachment 537840

Only Play Nid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Fun fact: men care just as much about personalities as a woman do, men cares just as much about boobs as women care about *****es.

Yeah it's harder to appeal to female players because some of you like real men, some of you like Justin Bieber like males (see: Varus, Ezreal) and some of you like bodybuilder.
Men like women who are not fat.
pretty much nailed it right there, i guess the whole personality thing works too but, be honest, unless it was a seriously annoying personality trait, the majority of men are probably going to get over it if they find her really attractive at the age of 20-35, after that i think personality jumps up in terms of importance by a ton.

Gunxlinger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoCaldippian View Post
Lee Sin is shirtless, yes, but nothing about his pose is inherently sexy. He's doing a martial arts stance and his face says he's about ready to put his foot up somebody's ass.

Fiora is twisting around so you can get a good view of her "assets" and giving you the **** me eyes while doing it. You can see a similar pose on a real woman in an obviously sexual picture below for comparison. The fact of the matter is if you try to make that pose in real life you have to bend your back at an extreme angle, and there's no practical reason to do it beyond sexual appeal. It's certainly not a fighting stance.

While Lee might not be able to fight the way he's standing, it's a pose that shows his strength and dexterity. Fiora's only shows how far she can stick her ass out and spread her legs while still standing up.
Instead of you attachment which was completely irrelevant why didnt you think of this?:
http://www.westonsview.com/blog/wp-c...06/fencing.jpg
http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sport...cs-fencing.gif

I guess everyone crying oversexualized has a dirty mind :/

Sudieken

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'm going to point out as a male player of this game, that I want to play attractive female characters... in armor... If we make a barbarian for example, whatever way we choose to make her look will be due to choices inherent to her design as a character, not to drive engagement with any specific group. The needs of the character are what counts. If the character appeals to you, congratulations. If it doesn't, congradulate aforementioned group who it happens to appeal to and indulge in the 100 other champions that may suit your fancy, or take a look at something upcoming which floats your boat.

There is no such effort to force ugly champions as we have decided and mentioned that we don't feel our traditionally "ugly" characters work on certain levels, but the past is the past. Our goal is to make the appropriate choices for a character driven by the goals that we establish early on, namely, again, what is best for the character in its context of theme, kit, etc. There is never an effort, nor an edict, nor an initiative to "de-uglify" or "up-uglify" our characters. They will be as "attractive", "sexy", "ugly", "monstrous", or whatever other subjective descriptors that exist as they need to be for their own unique cases.
I'm gonna have to call you out on this one, parrot. The new Soraka art really upset me the first time I saw her. She looks NOTHING like the old Soraka. To me, the new one is just really "bleh".

Don't get me wrong, the model, the animations, the particles, etc. are all top-notch.

I just feel like her facial features just aren't as distinguished at all, really. I used to be able to picture her as having a lot of wisdom, and having a nurturing, warm personality just from looking at her splash and hearing her voice.

She looks like a teenager now. That's all I really have to say. I don't get that vibe anymore. She's just...there.

MathMage

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaafGrohiik View Post
That's a side-face stance, pretty much standard for epee fencing. And her twisting that way is to show off the dagger she has strapped to her back.
A side-face stance doesn't have your lower body facing AWAY from the opponent.

Look. Take a fencing stance, right foot forward. Then arch your back, point your sword way the **** out to the right instead of where your opponent would be, stick your bum as high in the air as possible, and give a come-hither look over your right shoulder. That's how you get Fiora's splash art. It's not a fencing pose, it's a pinup pose with a sword on.

SupahMonkiee

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcsMom View Post
If you have to pick out poses in splash arts. I mean lets look at Jayce.
We have a handsome man in his 20s. Giving you a face full of crotch.

I think this argument would have been better using Ruthless Pantheon as an example (since he has the same crotch problem only he's looking down as if at someone on their knees below him). In the case of Jayce, while Riot decided to give us an upshot of him, they also managed to show him in the position he MUST assume in order to shoot the weapon that he wields (if you notice him in-game, his stance changes along with his weapon and his cannon stance requires him to have a sturdier base). Also, Jayce is looking straight forward as if to imply his target is in front of him. What reason does Ruthless Pantheon have to look downward while we're forced to focus on his bulging crotch in hot pants (just for the record, I do believe that Pantheon skin is overly sexualized).

TL Frolo

10-07-2012

spiders/insects/bugs in general would be one way to make female champions that are clearly not sexualized quite easily

MTaur

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orc72 View Post
Maokai isn't a tree man, he is a Tree. He is voiced by a male voice actor yes, but nothing in the lore suggest that he is male or female. It only says that he was a Tree that was mysteriously brought to life. Therefore Maokai has no genetalia, and no gender. He produces saplings for crying out loud. That means he is asexual.

Cassiopia is based off of Naga/Lamia, actual mythical creatures that are half snake half girl. In her lore she was Katarinas sister that seduced people for information. One of these people cursed her so she would never be able to seduce again.

Zyra is just ripping off posion ivy, and everyone knows comic books are sexualized.
Maokai is identified as "he", not "it". So he's male, even with the lack of *****. His facial features are roughly male-looking. If Riot wanted a truly sexless tree, they could've done that, but they didn't. He identifies as male.

Cass could totally still seduce like that. That was my whole point. If they meant to portray a curse that rendered her hideous and disqualified from seduction, then they didn't go far enough making her snake-like. They went with a boring old sexy snake lady instead of having fun with the whole "monster" thing.

Zyra... "oh, they're just ripping stuff off, and you're supposed to *** up that sort of thing. Nothing to see here, that's just the way it is". Says who? Why shouldn't they try something more original? They could've tried a lot of different things with the whole possession thing, but they went with the sexiest, most obvious, and most boring approach.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
A side-face stance doesn't have your lower body facing AWAY from the opponent.

Look. Take a fencing stance, right foot forward. Then arch your back, point your sword way the **** out to the right instead of where your opponent would be, stick your bum as high in the air as possible, and give a come-hither look over your right shoulder. That's how you get Fiora's splash art.
...not a mention of what I said about the dagger behind her back.

Ever think maybe she's mid-whirl, riposting an enemy attack?

And maybe the character artist was like "I'm gonna have the french ***** have this sweet-ass dagger on her back!" and wanted to show it clearly in her splash.

Ever think about that?

No. No you didn't. Because you're more retarded than the OP.