@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'm going to point out as a male player of this game, that I want to play attractive female characters... in armor... If we make a barbarian for example, whatever way we choose to make her look will be due to choices inherent to her design as a character, not to drive engagement with any specific group.
Hmmm....correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't armour and barbarian not go together all that well thematically? Not that I disagree with the idea of putting some armour for the ones that needs it point. But I think if it's a barbarian, they shouldn't be dressed pragmatically at all. They should put on whatever rag or animal skin they have while also showing off their impressive natural bodies. They primal warriors that shuns aspects of civilization.

If you used female Paladin or female Knight Templar, I can totally see you justify putting armour on her. But barbarians SHOULD be scantily clad, male or female. They should wield crudely made or even improvised weapons. Rather than relying on plates of steel like them pansy civilized folks, they'll proudly rely their well toned iron-skinned body instead. Barbarians should be proud of their natural prowess and throw practicality out the window. They're barbarians. They don't care about protecting themselves or thinking pragmatically. All they have in their mind is how to run up close to the enemy and go berserk on the most worthy foe possible.

Emailsúpport

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomajRT View Post
**** loads of quotes and text
Sums it all up, exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

StunnedandSlayed

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Define "mess with" or "tamper".

We're going to go back into champions that need visual reworks to up fidelity but retain iconicism, but also to maintain or more heavily reinforce their theme. So, theoretically, if I were to rework Sivir I'd keep her that Wonder Woman/Xena style powerhouse that she is. I would keep her outfit minimal and I'd push her proportions more to make her as imposing and powerful as she should be.
I'm fine with re visualization as long as the champ maintains most of its overall body shape and form.

I just don't want to log on and realize i don't even know who my champs are anymore.

Don't want to sound overall negative. I think most of the re visualization you guys have done so far is great work.

MathMage

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunxlinger View Post
No one explained this to me yet:
karma - So ugly no one plays her
shyvana - No hint of sexualization. Looks like a mutated human
soraka - Horn on her head. Looks like a teenager
Annie - I wouldnt 'do' her :/
Cassopia - Imagine a male champion who was a snake/ Would you count that as oversexualized. Not really.
Evelynn - Ugly Troll
leblanc - Mutated human demon
Morgana - Mutated human demon
Nidalee - Ugly
Syndra - Mutated human demon

only a FEW women are sexualized.
Karma isn't ugly, and she isn't sexualized. People don't play her because she isn't strong outside of ARAMs.

Cass, LB, Morg, Nid, and Syndra are all fap material for various segments of the male population, and barring Cass they share the same basic body type and sexualizing elements. I mark some of these more prominently than others (*cough Syndra's belted-on-pushup-thong-combination-thing cough*), but it's hard to argue they represent variety in the female form. (Also, a male half-snake could be sexualized or not sexualized, but it's rather harder to sexualize a dude without a crotch than a gal.)

Eve is a disaster area, and it's laughable to use her appearance as evidence of the art team doing a good job.

Shaella

10-07-2012

ok i'll troll you kids more later

bai bai

orc72

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaur View Post
Snake lady ---> looks almost entirely human above waist
Tree man ---> looks mostly like a tree
Tree lady ---> looks like a girl in boots, gloves, and lingerie with leaves glued on; easiest Halloween stripper costume ever.

You could fap to Cass or Zyra without being into snakes or plants. It would be a bit harder to do anything like that with Mao. This is totally par for the course with Riot.

Maokai isn't a tree man, he is a Tree. He is voiced by a male voice actor yes, but nothing in the lore suggest that he is male or female. It only says that he was a Tree that was mysteriously brought to life. Therefore Maokai has no genetalia, and no gender. He produces saplings for crying out loud. That means he is asexual.

Cassiopia is based off of Naga/Lamia, actual mythical creatures that are half snake half girl. In her lore she was Katarinas sister that seduced people for information. One of these people cursed her so she would never be able to seduce again.

Zyra is just ripping off posion ivy, and everyone knows comic books are sexualized.

MTaur

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
Nah, she looks like an evil plant girl and I'm really glad that they didn't make her similar to Maokai cause I don't want to vomit every loading screen.
A lot of people love Maokai.

I personally think a straight-up monster naga Cassiopeia who looks like a freaking cursed lady from hell would be pretty badass. Her whole lore is about how hideous she's supposed to be, but they really stopped short of hideous. Not everyone's cup of tea, but she's far from scary and not exactly disqualified from her previous occupation of seductress.

OrcsMom

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahMonkiee View Post
The point the OP made about Fiora's design didn't attack her body type, but rather the pose that Riot saw fit to put her in. While a slender body would make sense for her since she is a fencer, why would Riot put her in a pose that is clearly meant to showcase this physique. Also, I made a comment to another poster about Tryndamere that I think is also vaild here: his new splash art makes it impossible to see anything but a a giant sword and perhaps a giant arm (but no one in their right mind is going to think "***" from just an arm).
If you have to pick out poses in splash arts. I mean lets look at Jayce.
We have a handsome man in his 20s. Giving you a face full of crotch.

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Hmmm....correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't armour and barbarian not go together all that well thematically?

If you used female Paladin or female Knight, I can totally see you justify putting armour on her. But barbarians SHOULD be scantily clad, male or female. They should wield crudely made or even improvised weapons. Rather than relying on plates of steel like them pansy civilized folks, they'll proudly rely their well toned iron-skinned body instead. Barbarians should be proud of their natural prowess and throw practicality out the window. They're barbarians. They don't care about protecting themselves or thinking pragmatically. All they have in their mind is how to run up close to the enemy and go berserk on the most worthy foe possible.
Uh...who are you basing this idea of barbarians on? Conan the Barbarian?

Vikings are a "barbarian" archetype, and they wore heavy armor utilitizing chain mesh and metal plates. The goths who sacked Rome were using Germanic style scale armor and helmets.

I don't know what you're talking about here.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

Wait a second - is this entire asinine argument seriously just a complaint about SPLASH ART POSES?!