@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JPandaGamer

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Okay, Riot, can you just release some "sexy" male skins and maybe an old witch champion, or add a few differently built female champs, so they can just shut up about the topic already? Please? I've read too many walls of text on the subject.
Just listen to the girls, please.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StunnedandSlayed

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaomon View Post
Can we get a witch champion?
Lulu and Witch nidalee are exactly what?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerÓn7 View Post
HAHA. Guess what, why would they cater to female gamers when 90+% of the gaming community = male? Yea ... pretty much.
Crude fanservice on serious skins might appeal to the crudest elements of the male gamer demographic, but that's far from saying it's the best way to appeal to the male demographic as a whole. I prefer Diana's default skin to her Valkyrie skin, Syndra's Justicar skin to her default skin, Caitlyn's Arctic Warfare skin to her default and Officer skins, etc--because those skins look like actual champions, not pinup models in champion costumes. And it should be fairly obvious from these examples that making serious champion skins doesn't mean getting rid of attractive female champions.

Does that mean we should never have a pinup skin? Not at all. I can deal with the existence of obvious fanservice skins like Kitty Cat Kat, Battle Bunny Riven, and Heartseeker Vayne. But the prevalence of impossible waists, broken backs, boobs and butts all out of proportion with the rest of the body, and pinup poses on the default models of supposedly serious champions pisses me off.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sybil Cut

Senior Member

10-07-2012

While I agree with many points in the OP, I will say in her male counterexample she is heavily biased. All of the male examples of skin showing are just "but it's functional!" and Kassadin is in the "oddity zone" even though he has a fully nonfunctional rippled 6 pack for no reason and Cassiopeia is considered a main offender in the females category even though judging by Kass she should be in the oddities. You could make a point there about how the males have realistic reasons for having skin showing, and that the females aren't realistic enough in that regard and their character designs need to better reflect their role, however that's not what's being said and the male counterexamples are being disregarded because they aren't as blatantly sexualized and just exist sexually exposed as part of their character.

That said, it would be hard to justify a Riven skin in a sports bra as an "athlete", but it would be sure as hell easy to justify a shirtless male martial artist, which leads me to believe that there's an element of sexism on both sides of the discussion.

So, while the OP makes clear and well-defined points, you can in no way claim that the examples provided are free of bias.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maladinia

Member

10-07-2012

How about this as a female champion?
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...-mitsuko_1.jpg


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GaafGrohiik

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkSheal View Post
Haha, I agree with that.

Not even a women and I felt offended he said that, as he implies women are vulnerable creatures who need protection and guys are the take a licking and keep on ticking kind of folks.

Thing is, I'm sure some people have had stuff said to them in game that's gotten to them regardless of gender.
Exactly. and this whole argument is invalid anyway because women don't play video games. This incendiary myth has been perpetuated far too long, and these stupid, drooling neckbeards haven't caught on yet.

I say make whatever kind of heroes you want, Riot. You want giant bouncing titties and badonks? Go for it. If your next hero is composed entirely of dicks, I wouldn't care at all. (inb4 1000x ZOMG *****JAMZZ OP threads). It's your game, your vision, your creative license to do whatever the **** you want.

So if there were some random She-Hulk playing LoL and she got mad that there were no girl characters should could pretend to be because they're not teated ogres like her - I say TOO ****ING BAD. You don't make this game. You don't work for Riot. You don't deal with thousand of requests for stupid, inconsequential things like they have to put up with, so you should have ZERO say in what they create. You don't go up to artists and critique their work because you don't like the way it makes you feel. If you don't like a champion - don't ****ing play it.

Design your own ****ing character, mail it in, and see if you can get subcontracted if you need a digital idol to make you feel better about yourself since you couldn't keep your hands off the Haagen Dazs in junior high.

This whole conversation is stupid. Any girl who would complain about this **** is a narcissistic slampig who thinks her halfwit opinion should have an impact on a game played by millions. Aww... Miss Fortune makes you feel inadequate because you're 26 and still in a training bra? "Time to fire the Ovary Cannons and pretend I've always been a feminist to get validation for me being unhappy with my body! I'm a woman and I need to be portrayed realistically in video games because if I'm not, that's sexist and wrong!"

If women want to be considered equal to men - which they SHOULD and should have for the last several decades - this whole "objectifying women in games is wrong" mindset needs to stop. I have never once, ONCE, in my 20 years of playing video games, ever read anything about men feeling emasculated by overly macho/athletic/suave heroes, that are almost ALL completely idealized.

Women complaining about that are simply people looking for something to complain about - and I don't care who you are - only look-at-me *******s pull that ****. Any woman who is actually secure with themselves, their body, their gender, and more than 50% functioning brain cells would look at this thread, laugh their asses off, and continue being actual people instead of brainless high school hipsters that think they have any idea about anything, ever.

**** 'em, Riot. Do whatever you want.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
The following are male champions that people use as examples of sexualized men. They may show skin, but being shirtless means nothing when they are morbidly obese or freakishly muscular. Female body builders are nasty. Male body builders are also nasty.

Here's a small problem with your argument that males aren't sexualized...

You seem to be a bit biased towards what's sexual or what's not. I don't know what your gender is, but it's safe to say a lean muscular man is to girls what giant bigonkers is to boys.

If you are males, then it is obvious why you don't think muscles aren't sexy...because it's not supposed to be sexy to a male! That's why you excluded muscles as a sexual trait. Look at your assessment of the females all as strippers, now look at Pantheon, doesn't Pantheon look a bit much like a male stripper?


And also, Varus is hella ripped. Look at his body...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dead robit

Senior Member

10-07-2012

ON THE TOPIC OF GIRL GAMERS BEING PICKED ON

this is not a *** specific issue. this is a toxic play issue. the player is going to be toxic towards you regardless of the gender. he picks what he most feels to be to be insulting or his best ammo. race gender religion ect. he is trying to insult or upset you. so if he feels gender is the best option he will do so.
and it happens to guys. if the same player was insulting me hed call me a fa8*ot or a H*m* but he feels calling a girl fat or ugly is better than what he called me.

the problem lies with toxic players. i know i used to be one i reformed myself. but until you fix the toxic players. this issue isn't going away.

personally i think girls are treated the same(by the majority) it just stands out cause its so rare and also the skill level might factor in. but a toxic player will lash out at anything he is given the chance to.

personally ive played with plenty of girls. 4 days ago i was playing ranked. asked if anyone wanted to skype one girl ( i thought was a guy till i added on skype) volunteered. had a normal conversation throughout the game with occasional mia " go go go!" ect. but wasnt treated any differently. until there is reason for it.

i.e the person feeds. blatantly states they are girl wanting the result be it positive or negative from relinquishing that information. honestly heres the bottom line people. IF YOU WANT EQUALITY YOU CANT DISTINGUISH BETWEEN GENDER. that includes when a girl is beign treated unfairly if you bring up that shes a girl you are sayign shes different... either accept girls and guys are different or dont acknowledge the difference at all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GaafGrohiik

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOwned247 View Post
How about this as a female champion?
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...-mitsuko_1.jpg
Bloody Roar was awesome! The rabbit chick would be an insta-buy for me. But good reference


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

maravilloso

Junior Member

10-07-2012

tldr : as long as you're good, gender doesn't matter, but 8 out of 10 girls suck.