@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Billyraye

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adumbro Deus View Post
except it isn't, women make up the majority of pc gamers overall and about 42% of the "hardocore" audience.

This means it's big business to market to include women and market specifically towards women.
No, most female gamers play MMORPG's for the social aspects of the game. Sorry, but if women made up 42% of hardcore, then why do none of the pro teams @ the world championship have 1? By your math, there should be 2 on every team. I don't count angry birds as gaming.

Adumbro Deus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyraye View Post
No, most female gamers play MMORPG's for the social aspects of the game. Sorry, but if women made up 42% of hardcore, then why do none of the pro teams @ the world championship have 1? By your math, there should be 2 on every team. I don't count angry birds as gaming.
Because pro team demographics have always accurately reflected the demographics of the league playerbase right? I mean no latinos play league right? Hell, we have the same number of out gay guys in pro NA league as we have black guys.

The fact is, there are definite upbringing factors that make the difference in deciding whether somebody is willing to put the time and energy into learning a game and going pro, but the culture of the community also makes a difference.

Acquiring the skills and visibility to make it to a pro team is all about respect (both because you want it and because you can't go pro without being known as good), and if you look at the way that the league community treats women, it's incredibly difficult for a woman to be respected as a legitimate player.

This is the reason that there's not as much of a drive for women to get to high elo and those that do get there generally aren't gonna stream and otherwise work to get the publicity required to hit a pro team.

Hummin

10-06-2012

These are champs I really enjoy, I love shaco, hes hilariously creepy and his laugh is awesome, I love gragas who can tackle people with his stomach and head, throws casks of beer and his taunt, I love ez hes very diverse and Its generally fun to play him and he reminds you of being an explorer and taking out those evil other champions, teemo because hes so darn cute even if he is an assassin, I love pantheon because he just looks so in place with the way they made him and reminds me of 300 which is a movie I really liked, tryn hes a barbarian king and reminds me alot of my husband, kogmaw because hes a cute loyal grub, chogath specially his gentleman skin hes just so poliete who couldnt love this guy?, taric very dazzaling and he brings a smile to my face when I see him, corki with his amazing mustache and rofflecopter, blitz because his jokes are funny and I love creating that epic grab, mordekaiser because HUEHUEHUE, rumble hes powerful and creative in his own suit, nautilus hes a huge powerhouse and you just dont want to be chased by him, zilean old man time with amazing play potentail, skarner cause hes a scorpion and thats just plain cool. Theres many more and same on the female side, I generally dont mind the skins in game and only have a problem with a few of the art works (mainly mf morg and lux newest skins bcause it just dosent looks natural) Im all down for things being pretty, there needs to be more women who are similar to urgot or gragas, and some similiar to darius and zilean! My problem with playin this game isnt about the champs entierly, my main problem is the treatment I get when my friends or husband says she* in all chat and get treated poorly because of that. I play everyday in hopes to getting good enough one day like other professonals, but Im not close enough to that point, so I watch streams like so_sleepy, Vman7, aphromoo, therainman and try to learn where I did things wrong, where I can get better. and I know I play above average at least, and hopefully next season I'll do more ranked than I did this year (near the begining of september only). But I hope to join a team one day. maybe someone will help me out around then, and choose me because I play well enough. and hopefully then people can take girls more seriously.

Kvoth3

10-06-2012

100% agree. It's disgusting, and the least appealing part of the game.

Hummin

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinvoliat View Post
You can have a free and fun environment where males can have fun and troll around... and women. It just doesn't work.

What turns girls away from the game is not art, not body image issues, its the millions of male players who love to troll and have some politically-incorrect fun. But you cant have these millions of male players if you force people to be politically correct.
Im all down for trolling, its fun as long as its in good spirits and you know your joking, but there is a difference where you get targeted and treated poorly for being a girl. My husband plays shaco all the time, its his favorite jungler, I'll tease him and say shaco has a ***** nose because its funny, and he'll say something like my morgana can hide midgits under her dress. you can joke without being insulting to a specific gender.

and with other comments about muting, that just creates another problem, it doesnt stop them from harrasing you, deoent stop them from trolling you, it just makes it harder for yourself to make team plays because you cant hear that they want to get baron (not everyone pings) and for tribunal you need the other evidence for punish. You shouldn't have to mute 5-8 people because you're a girl trying to play a game because your friends say she* It feels like you are not welcome here, and makes it a lot harder to become professional.

Micalas

10-06-2012

The reason the sexism thing is downvoted when it comes to champion appearance is because it's an irrelevant, manufactured complaint. No one is being oppressed by the scantily clad pixels on the screen.

Tspuun

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micalas View Post
The reason the sexism thing is downvoted when it comes to champion appearance is because it's an irrelevant, manufactured complaint. No one is being oppressed by the scantily clad pixels on the screen.
Not directly, no. But you look at the industry and the media as a whole, and it reinforces the idea that women are *** objects or secondary to men, even if it's just following the tropes that were put down long ago and not actively trying to be sexist.

And these tropes don't acknowledge that fat women or ugly women or old women exist outside of jokes and that random grandma NPC and that one hag enemy that you kill for 300XP. What was the last old/fat/objectively ugly woman you can think of that had a meaningful role in driving a story forward or otherwise central role?

The guys are allowed a much broader freedom in terms of design because no one's worrying about whether or not the audience is going to find them sexy or not, and this leads to painfully repetitive design for the female characters.

bongofrog

10-06-2012

If the girl gamers get all offended by the way the skins look...why do they dress like it IRL?

Its like getting pissed when a guy sees you in your underwear then throwing on a bikini....whats the difference.

Damn feminism ruins everything.

Soon we'll all be playing Grogas and a new fat champ named Catholic Nun.

Eletale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryswar View Post
Cute. You ignore how fervently IronStylus and some others have supported more varied and non-sexist female champs in favor of painting an inaccurate portrayal of red behavior?

Grow up and shut up.
IronStylus also drew Sejuani, be it that he likes her style or not. Him being apparently feminist doesn't change Riot Games Inc. business strategy for target market.

Zardoc

10-06-2012