@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempnameA461

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriphor View Post
Additionally, your attitude of blaming the victim of the abuse because they opened themselves up to it is unreasonable.
It isn't.
Oh, hello mister Mass Murderer.
Oh, you have a knife?
Here, try this gun instead.

Firellius

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkSheal View Post
No, telling them to carry on would be having no function at all to prevent insults, racism, or sexist remarks from ever reaching the intended target and saying "no rules".

But at the same time expecting people to abide by given rules is at best a dream. Have you ever used the Tribunal? Do you know why those people are being judged? Breaking the rules.
And they need to keep getting judged for it.

But you're telling people to toughen up and that hoping for better and expecting change is a lost cause. That's just telling the bullies that they're not responsible for their own actions, that's telling them to just keep doing it.

You're treating the bullies as normal, instead of treating them as the scum they are.

Firellius

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailsupport548 View Post
It isn't.
Oh, hello mister Mass Murderer.
Oh, you have a knife?
Here, try this gun instead.
So you're not gonna blame the mass murderer for... mass murdering?

What's wrong with you?

Celestya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senstrae View Post
snip.
I cannot in any way stress how much I applaud you for that. And yes, your message is BEYOND truth. If any ignorance is to be changed the education starts by making people AWARE it's a problem. People seem to think "it's the internet" is a great excuse. Guess what? It's not.

The part that really irks me about dumb things like this; we've had these issues circulate through history and change, why do they keep having to crop up again and get RE-ADDRESSED each time something new comes along. Can we just apply common sense to every area in life or has everyone really lost the capability to use the brain between their ears?

tempnameA461

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
So you're not gonna blame the mass murderer for... mass murdering?

What's wrong with you?
Exactly.
It's the internet.

BerserkSheal

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
And they need to keep getting judged for it.

But you're telling people to toughen up and that hoping for better and expecting change is a lost cause. That's just telling the bullies that they're not responsible for their own actions, that's telling them to just keep doing it.

You're treating the bullies as normal, instead of treating them as the scum they are.
What ....

No I`m not, I`m suggesting that if you want to walk into a game, and pretend that everything will be lovey dovey is a lost cause.

Where do you think my suggestion of the mute+report came from .. thin air. Instead of being forced to listen to verbal abuse you have the option to ignore it, something people don`t see to wish to use, where did using that somehow come off as ``keep doing it`.

Why do you think Riot implemented it in the first place, for giggles.

Zeriphor

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestya View Post
I cannot in any way stress how much I applaud you for that. And yes, your message is BEYOND truth. If any ignorance is to be changed the education starts by making people AWARE it's a problem. People seem to think "it's the internet" is a great excuse. Guess what? It's not.

The part that really irks me about dumb things like this; we've had these issues circulate through history and change, why do they keep having to crop up again and get RE-ADDRESSED each time something new comes along. Can we just apply common sense to every area in life or has everyone really lost the capability to use the brain between their ears?
Thank you for bringing that up, I totally missed it between everything. I fully agree with you Senstrae. I hate the stance that things can't change, so we should just learn to live with them. We should be trying to improve the experience for everyone.

madjai

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriphor View Post
There is no difference. I merely specified gender because that's what this discussion is about. If you would prefer, I could go back to being more general, as I was in my first post in this thread.
But you appear to be implying there is a difference. If someone puts a target on their head for it and are abused for said target (not even just about girls), then that is reportable, THE END. You can't carry that argument any further.

Although, a preventative measure in such toxic communities or problematic communities is to completely take out the variable.

Obvious thought process:

Everyone in your game, all 10 of you, are gamers. No more, no less. The only determining factor of you as 1 of these 10 people are your name, and possible your elo and lolking stats if anyone is bold enough to look you up prior to the game. There are no other variables or separating factors UNLESS THESE ARE GIVEN DURING THE GAME. Anything further that is shared, then becomes an uncommon variable which then constitutes a possible (I'm being very broad in this point) abuse case because of said factor that is revealed for any possible reason. No matter what the factor is, it creates a rift in the team and it starts a fiery argument. Are both parties held responsible? Yes. BUT, the cause? Summoner A is religious and Summoner B is an atheist. (DO NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS WITH THIS). Both summoners are in the wrong because they both overzealously provoke each other rather than playing the game.

That's basic psychology. Arguments are started over cause and effect. To use the sexist angle. If a girl comes into a game and says "I'm a girl and you should respect me", the effect can instantly turn to... I guess "anti-feminism" or a state of attempted equilibrium where a disagreement begins. Both parties are definitely in the wrong for inciting arguments in the game, because guess what? IT'S STILL A ****ING GAME OF LEAGUE OF LEGENDS AND YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING THAT INSTEAD OF INCITING ARGUMENTS.

Case closed.

Theorycrafter

10-06-2012

I wish for some more female opinions here.
I really think it's mostly the guys reading this and they don't really feel like it's much of a concern since that problem so to speak doesn't refer to them.
Signed,
concerned male :P

Edit: I mean, are there even some semi-pro or a single pro female player in LoL right now? Shouldn't that strike a bell ?

Zeriphor

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjai View Post
But you appear to be implying there is a difference. If someone puts a target on their head for it and are abused for said target (not even just about girls), then that is reportable, THE END. You can't carry that argument any further.

Although, a preventative measure in such toxic communities or problematic communities is to completely take out the variable.

Obvious thought process:

Everyone in your game, all 10 of you, are gamers. No more, no less. The only determining factor of you as 1 of these 10 people are your name, and possible your elo and lolking stats if anyone is bold enough to look you up prior to the game. There are no other variables or separating factors UNLESS THESE ARE GIVEN DURING THE GAME. Anything further that is shared, then becomes an uncommon variable which then constitutes a possible (I'm being very broad in this point) abuse case because of said factor that is revealed for any possible reason. No matter what the factor is, it creates a rift in the team and it starts a fiery argument. Are both parties held responsible? Yes. BUT, the cause? Summoner A is religious and Summoner B is an atheist. (DO NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS WITH THIS). Both summoners are in the wrong because they both overzealously provoke each other rather than playing the game.

That's basic psychology. Arguments are started over cause and effect. To use the sexist angle. If a girl comes into a game and says "I'm a girl and you should respect me", the effect can instantly turn to... I guess "anti-feminism" or a state of attempted equilibrium where a disagreement begins. Both parties are definitely in the wrong for inciting arguments in the game, because guess what? IT'S STILL A ****ING GAME OF LEAGUE OF LEGENDS AND YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING THAT INSTEAD OF INCITING ARGUMENTS.

Case closed.
You read an implication that was not intended. Abuse for any reason is unacceptable. I have said this repeatedly.