Possible Solution to Toning Down Jayce

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ziven

10-06-2012

As we all know, whether you think he's "OP" or not, Jayce has one of the best top laning phases in the game. He's regarded by most people that are good at Jayce, "unbeatable in top lane"

And well, I'm not gonna do some stupid **** like list a bunch of nerfs to his abilities that should be done, cause I think his kit is just fine.

Here's the problem though... He gets his ult at level 1 allowing him to be a ranged tanky ad caster. He is, in a nutshell, everything a top lane could ask for rolled into one champion.

The way to tone this down would be as simple as not letting him get his ultimate to change into his mercury cannon until level 6 instead of level 1. This way he has the same exact kit, but his early game laning phase is less ridiculous.

So, yeah, I wanna hear what you guys think.

Nightseraph

10-06-2012

Murders the champion. I'd propose a much longer CD on the ult pre 6 (15 or so seconds) and making acceleration gate only be able to be applied one time on any champion

Ziven

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightseraph View Post
Murders the champion. I'd propose a much longer CD on the ult pre 6 (15 or so seconds) and making acceleration gate only be able to be applied one time on any champion
Can you explain exactly how it murders the champion? I'm looking at his kit and it looks like he'd do just fine without his mercury cannon at level 1. He'd be just like any other top laner that is melee. What's the problem?

Maybe I'm missing something important?

Nightseraph

10-06-2012

Either half of jayce's kit is exceptionally weak in the early game. You're proposing major, game changing nerfts, and jayce is good, but not completely dominant. The game balance is based around top level play, and in higher mid level play he is a monster, but.. not invincible in top level play. He needs gently tuned down, not destroyed.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

He's a subpar champion if he's restricted to one form. His kit is quite weak in both forms. His strength comes from the fact that he has access to both forms at once to make up for it.

His cooldowns are massive and he's not that great at extended trades. Without the ability to constantly switch forms, he'll be too easy to catch and push out of lane.

Not to mention, how will you decide which form he starts with?

Is he OP? According to Xypherous' theory regarding top lane, yes. He and every single viable top laner in the game is OP right now.

Is he OP by solo top standards? No. He has clear strengths and clear weaknesses. He has a lot of counters and well as counter-picks.

I rather just ignore all solo top champions for now and wait to see what Riot's top lane overhaul looks like first. Remember how drastically the jungle rework changed the tier of different junglers? Junglers without AoE literally disappeared from the jungle scene.

zachizblack

10-06-2012

easy solution, instead of nerfing/fixing his abilities, look at his per level attributes such as health, AD, AS, movespeed, etc and nerf those a bit instead of effecting his abilities.

Zanathax

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziven View Post
Can you explain exactly how it murders the champion? I'm looking at his kit and it looks like he'd do just fine without his mercury cannon at level 1. He'd be just like any other top laner that is melee. What's the problem?

Maybe I'm missing something important?
Yes, you are. The character is balanced around him being able to swap between Hammer and Cannon. Without this ability, they'd have to greatly boost the stats on one or the other, possibly affecting other parts of his game.

Also, there's nothing wrong with Jayce. All you need to do is learn to dodge his gated 'Q' and he's a cupcake.

Here's a hint - minions block it. Oh, and most people telegraph it by using gate first. If you're paying attention it's easy to avoid.

I know, I know... imagine that, expecting someone to be able to actually pay attention to what's going on in their lane is asking a lot, huh?

whouthink

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
He has a lot of counters and well as counter-picks.
And thus I come to the conclusion that this thread is a joke
Stay classy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanathax View Post
Also, there's nothing wrong with Jayce. All you need to do is learn to dodge his gated 'Q' and he's a cupcake.
Thundering Blow RANGE: 240 COOLDOWN: 14 / 13 / 12 / 11 / 10 COST: 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 mana

ACTIVE: Deals magic damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage of the target's maximum health, knocking the target back a short distance.
MAGIC DAMAGE: 40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 (+ 100% Bonus AD)
MAX HEALTH TO DAMAGE RATIO: 8% / 11% / 14% / 17% / 20%

His Q isn't the issue in lane genius

Ziven

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanathax View Post
Yes, you are. The character is balanced around him being able to swap between Hammer and Cannon. Without this ability, they'd have to greatly boost the stats on one or the other, possibly affecting other parts of his game.

Here's a hint - minions block it. Oh, and most people telegraph it by using gate first. If you're paying attention it's easy to avoid.

I know, I know... imagine that, expecting someone to be able to actually pay attention to what's going on in their lane is asking a lot, huh?
It's easy for a jayce player to call other people out on their mistakes when playing vs. you. but it's all theorycrafting.

Are you telling me that if I play Jayce right now, and do not put any points into his ult until level 6, that I would not be able to compete in lane against any viable solo tops? Wanna bet me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whouthink View Post
Stay classy

Thundering Blow RANGE: 240 COOLDOWN: 14 / 13 / 12 / 11 / 10 COST: 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 mana

ACTIVE: Deals magic damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage of the target's maximum health, knocking the target back a short distance.

I agree with everything here.

Zanathax

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by whouthink View Post
Stay classy

Maybe not for you... but I guarantee that most people complaining about him are complaining about his cannon's Q, not his hammer's E.

Also, the knockback component on Q can actually be made into a DISadvantage for a Jayce player if you have a clue against him... obviously, if it's going to finish you it doesn't matter, otherwise most of the geniuses playing him will knock you back toward your own turret, giving you a free escape if you have any kind of a clue.

Here's a Hint for free: The people on here griping about him aren't the 1200+ ELO crowd, much less the 1800+ ELO crowd...