@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StunnedandSlayed

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
re: the 'cleavage' issue

I'm sure there are girls that pull out their boobs just for views but uh
some girls just
have boobs

cleavage happens

do girls have to wear turtle necks or something in order to not be using their cleavage for something
Using your cleavage to get views on a stream when you suck at playing is just that. 90% of girl streamers suck at this game and get views becuase of their boobs. How many chicks do you know who are 2k elo +?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

madjai

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
That is not a good solution. It shouldn't matter whether a player is male or female, and it shouldn't matter whether they say they're male or female. The people who are too immature to share a game with an acknowledged female player should not be given a pass on their unacceptable behavior.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a fool, rather than to open it and remove all doubt.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krejdar

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
That is not a good solution. It shouldn't matter whether a player is male or female, and it shouldn't matter whether they say they're male or female. The people who are too immature to share a game with an acknowledged female player should not be given a pass on their unacceptable behavior.
Can you tell me one situation where telling your gender during the game matters? It doesn't. It doesn't matter if you're male or female when you play, and it sure the hell doesn't matter if someone KNOWS. If you make a point to bring it up for no good reason, you're setting yourself up for an attack.

And FYI, this is the internet. Does anyone really expect for anyone they speak to to be MATURE? I sure the hell don't.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xStrawberryKitty

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot Shesho View Post
I don't recall ever telling anyone that I'm male, so why should girls care if we know that they are female? At what point while playing the game is it necessary to reveal that?

This isn't about alienation of women - it's about women deliberately separating themselves from the faceless crowd of players, and then being surprised when they get flamed. It's the internet; give anyone a reason to mouth off, whether it's revealing your gender or saying your favorite color, and they will.
There are very few females that go into a game and announce they are female....
It mostly comes up while chatting with a friend in-game. 99% of the games I play, I'm playing with my boyfriend or friends.
And no, if you start up a game of LoL and say "he" or your male friends name, you're more than likely not going to have someone flame you for having a wang.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morisanzo

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
there's a lot about this argument that makes my head hurt, which is why i haven't invested too much time in it

but like, if you have larger breasts, even if you're not wearing a 'revealing' top so to speak, you're probably going to be showing off cleavage. it happens. it doesn't have to be a sexual thing at all

I'm sorry but I'm not going to run around dressed like a nun because some dudes think by me wearing clothes that I like I'm catering to the masses or trying to get something out of my figure

butts
I mean it's absolutely true cleavage happens. Errybody has a different body type, some women just have massive amounts of it and some don't.

Saying a woman should be ashamed because of it is the complete opposite end of the spectrum but it's also misogyny in a nutshell.

**** happen.

I think the real problem with it is that when you have the streamers who throw it out their to get the views and then the ones who just happen to have it and it's there cause that's just how they are it all sort of gets muddled.

At least as far as the whole discussion is going.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempnameA461

Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjai View Post
It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a fool, rather than to open it and remove all doubt.
A wise man once said, "Do what it takes to convince them you are a fool, then let them discover you are not by waking up in a hospital."


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garnet

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLurch View Post
Using your cleavage to get views on a stream when you suck at playing is just that. 90% of girl streamers suck at this game and get views becuase of their boobs. How many chicks do you know who are 2k elo +?
buh wuh

just because a girl is streaming and just because they're not 2k elo doesn't mean that they're using their boobs for anything omg

not all streamers are 2k elo anyway, look at Rexgar (my favourite!), he's only like 1200 or something and he still gets views

like I'm not denying that there are certainly girls out there that use their figure for attention but I really think you're oversimplifying this and lumping all female streamers together. some does not equal all


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LegendaryLemur

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchigoKitty View Post
There are very few females that go into a game and announce they are female....
It mostly comes up while chatting with a friend in-game. 99% of the games I play, I'm playing with my boyfriend or friends.
And no, if you start up a game of LoL and say "he" or your male friends name, you're more than likely not going to have someone flame you for having a wang.
It sounds like the problem is with the lack of a gender neutral first person pronoun in English. Try having your friends refer to you as "my friend" instead of "she" if it continues to be a problem for you.

Also keep in mind that you are probably hurting the feelings of hopelessly single people when you talk about having a bf/gf during game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krejdar

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryLemur View Post
Pretty sure caps lock denote emphasis which is more protest than was required. Maybe a part of you likes fuzzy things that purr a little more than you are comfortable with and its confusing you?
Hmmm, well considering I don't ever plan on scissor-sandwiching a cat in my lifetime, I'm just going to say your argument is completely pointless and invalid.

And once more, please use a dictionary. Denote is not the word you are looking for.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dardstar

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Ok so 32 pages latter is probably not the best place for a counter argument, but I enjoy talking on this subject as long as both parties are reasonable and neither just dismisses the others argument.

That out of the way, I have something against your 'ZERO male champions are sexualised' Statement. Sure you go on to say that some of the common examples such as trynd looks like a rhino but you discount a lot of what 'sexualised' actually means.

Lets start of with something that I think you would consider to be a sexualised male: Your typical male model/stripper that appears in any film or tv show that wants to show a male stip club. The problem with this version of sexualised is that it is the male concept of a sexualised female transplanted onto the male figure. Its not a females depiction of what they find sexy. In the same vein a female wearing a bikini and an a male wearing speedos don't really fit into the same category of 'sexy'.

However lets take another icon from tv that I have on good authority is 'sexy': Dean winchester from supernatural. He is a somewhat over-sexualised picture of a male, but doesn't fit into your definition of 'sexualised'. An in game example of this is superm.... er.. I mean Jayce, He has a sterotypical muscle-bound frame, shoulders about a meter apart and is "Armed with wit and charm", no matter how hard I tried I could never match up to Jayce as an image of what a male should look like, the same way a female would have a hard time matching up to what Cait may represent, If anything I think I would have a harder time of it.

So I believe your definition of sexualised is skewed towards females, and some examples of what I would count as male sexualisation would be:
-Darius (age or not he is still in damn good shape)
-Draven (while his direct style, such as his beard leaves something to be desired he isn't 'ugly)
-Ezreal
-Garen
-Gangplank (you really think 30 is to old to be sexy?)
-Jarvin
-Lee Sin
-Olaf
-Pantheon
-TF
-Xin

Now a lot of these people you mentioned and brought up as 'not sexy because of X' but I believe some of your reasoning to be false, your main point was style, for example lee sin is somewhat sexualised but since it fits into the whole monk thing its kind of a pass, by dint of this a lot of females should be given a pass, for example:
- Zyra
She is a plant, frankly if she was naked it would suit her better.

-Nidalee
Same as zyra I think the only reason she wears clothes is cause it would shock people if she didn't, I'm guessing when she was found with the noxian woodcutters she was naked.

-LeBlanc
Her thing is deception, what a better way to deceive someone then hey look at my clones breasts while I stab you in the back

And most of the overly sexualised females wouldn't find the need for armour anyway since they are mages or something of the ilk, hell Fiora is a duellist, while yes she is sexualised, she is wearing more armour then most duellists would wear anyway. And look at brand while sure he is made of charcoal he is wearing pants and nothing else.

While I do disagree with you, I do agree with you on some points as well, for example I think everyone can agree Sejuani needs to rethink her wardrobe.

And finally What your alternative? I don't really want to play bob or Jane with a beer gut from down the street in league of legends, even stereotypical female soldier #5 is kind of boring. And there is only so many fully armoured females you can do before you run out of the archetype: It would be weird playing leona if she was a squishy ranged mage.