@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EmperialGoddess

Senior Member

10-05-2012

I am a female who plays every single day. My League name is pretty straight forward and I have never encountered any issues with other people about it. I have not once ever been insulted for being a "girl." I can understand where your coming from, but I don't care how Riot designs the female champs. I like to have my female champs all confident and sexy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hummin

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashxu View Post
I think the reason why a lot of guys have a grudge against female gamers is because the ones that stand out are huge attention seekers who do nothing but go "omg im a girl pay attention to me"

This is especially apparent when you have female streamers (which are not exclusive to LoL) that use the majority of the screen for their web cam and shove the actual gameplay footage into a corner.


just my 2 cents, idc what gender my teammates are. My rule is that if I haven't noticed then it doesn't matter.
I agree, there are women who put the main focus on themselves, then others who want to be taken seriously in game play and hold streams like so_sleepy and hopefully make it into a serious team. When you stream people say all sorts of things and even though phreak says we are welcome, we generally dont feel that way, the harrass is greater than the support


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RockNRoll Jesus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
If you're interacting with other real people, you should care. You don't walk up to random people in the street and harass them for their gender or whatever else (and if you actually do, well you're simply scum). What makes it okay to treat male as the default? I'm a man and I do not make fun of people in games or bust them up, so your statement that that is how men are is clearly false.



Who are you to presume other people's motivations? Also, just because you aren't annoyed by something doesn't mean others aren't or shouldn't be. And if gender shouldn't have an effect on anything, then why are women harassed for saying they are women? "Act like a male or get harassed" is not gender having no bearing on anything.
You are blowing my post out of proportion. I'm simply stating that we act sarcastic and bust them if they mess up. (this is not saying that we say hurtful things!) I understand people are upset because some males make fun of females but that's just how some people are. Some people are a--holes that's who they are don't generalize all males as a--holes because you had a bad experience with one.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Murasaki Ryu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Hi girl player here. It doesn't matter to me what the champs are like. It doesn't matter how much they are clothed or not clothed, sexy or not. What matters is how they play. Anyone who really has a problem with how female characters look in this game need to see a therapist, or is an attention seeking cry baby. There are more important things to talk about in LoL than how this female champ is sexy and it's making you feel bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xengre View Post
You are being rather bias tbh...

Riot is not simply marginalizing females. They also can not control how some players treat females but can reduce such toxic behavior through tribunal/mute/etc. To make matters worse many females use their... assets to garner attention (while this is not exactly wrong in the real world under moderation, doing so in a video game community is just pointless).

Naturally, Riot will make character models that will attract attention and fit preferences... it is kinda how marketing works (lol). They will also avoid overly ugly or normal characters because normal characters are fine in moderation to change things up but should not be the norm due to marketing reasons. Ugly characters can be even more difficult to deal with because they attract a niche crowd but are generally not a strong marketing move (refer to backlash and lack of popularity due to Urgot being too grotesque).

As you indicated yourself... there are many normal female skins that are intended to be cool, and then there are niche skins/etc.
• Nurse Akali is a stripper nurse. No real nurse dresses like that. However, strippers with themed costumes do dress like that. Surgeon Shen is an actual medical professional. (Perhaps, but this is simply filling an extremely popular fetish and Akali's theme is kinda... cosplay. Further have you seen some of her other skins? Her All Star skin is pretty bad ass and probably one of the coolest in the game. I do feel they made her breast too large in the actual model but... still neat. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...tarSkin_Ch.jpg)
• Cowgirl Miss Fortune is just missing a pole. Her attire is completely impractical I sure hope she is wearing underwear under that flap. High Noon Twisted Fate actually looks like he belongs in the Wild West. Sheriff Caitlyn is wearing hotpants. (Honestly, likely a very popular fetish for many reasons. Filling a niche but this is not her only skin.)
• Officer Caitlyn is in many ways the most disappointing. She is in a position of authority. She is the Sheriff of Piltover. But, she gets a stripper cop outfit. Riot Graves, and outlaw, actually looks like a real cop. No officer in real life dresses like Caitlyn. They’d never be taken seriously. She could have been a badass. Real missed opportunity, here. (Do I really need to answer this one?... Same as above.)
• Battle Bunny Riven is a Playboy Bunny. This is the most blatant one of them all. You can’t even pretend that this is anything but a stripper skin. There isn’t a male counterpart for this. (How long was this asked for before Riot gave in? This one is actually over the top compared to many of the others... but the request for it was very substantial, large enough so to warrant making the skin to rake in $$$ Definitely a fetish skin and more over the top then others but it doesn't go too far.).
• Prestigious LeBlanc is a Vegas showgirl. Magnificent Twisted Fate is an actual magician. (Woopy do... Actually a pretty awesome skin in a non-sexualized way even if it normally is a sexualized theme. In her case it is set up to look pretty awesome and matches her style perfectly as a mage. Also do not ever ever go to Vegas if something as minor as THIS bothers you.)
• French Maid Nidalee is something you’d see in a gentleman’s club. (Same as Riven... Don't ever hire maids ok? Might be sexist.)
• Heartseeker Vayne. I guess if Jack of Hearts Twisted Fate is the male equivalent, though again, the male character is fully clothed. (If you are complaining about this one as well then honestly, I can't see how a serious discussion can be made. It is a Valentine themed skin that is rather modest.)
• Mistletoe LeBlanc, Candy Cane Miss Fortune, Snow Bunny Nidalee draw a strong contrast to Santa Gragas and Old St. Zilean. (Can't really take you serious with this comment, I don't even know for certain by this point in your post if you are trolling or not. I'm being honest, I can't tell...)
• Sandstorm Katarina is a belly dancer. (Belly dancer.. no. Bad ass desert fighter? Yes.)
• Red Card Katarina doesn’t dress like any referee I’ve ever seen. Fifa banned players from taking their shirts off. (So a slight twist to make it "sexier" to appeal to the primarily male audience is an issue. Also shirt is on...)
• Kitty Kat Katarina reminds me of Halle Berry’s Catwoman, and that’s offensive on a whole new level. (...Just please... for the love of, grow up. Many of my comments before were slightly sarcastic but I am serious with this comment. Extreme personal bias here)


This is rather extreme bias and subject to matter of opinion. I imagine most women won't find it cool or attractive as well but again that is subject to personal view. I will say, personally I feel the artist simply lacked skill to properly portray what they were striving for (as noted in regards to Tryndamere in past cases).

Due to the length of your post I will limit what I reply to and what I have to say.

Many of my comments were slightly sarcastic because, well your statements were deserving of it.

I find it very difficult to take your thread seriously as I can't tell if you, yourself, are. In fact... I legitimately believe you are trolling in this thread.

Naturally there will be skins that as long as they don't go too far will try to make money off fetish/niche concepts of the primarily male audience but there are those that will attempt to do so or at least balance it for the female and both audiences.

I doubt I will reply to this thread again considering the OP but I may if I have time.
The skins segment was listing all the stripper skins. The statement I was trying to make wasn't "There should never be any stripper skins ever!!" It was posing the question "Why are they exclusive to women?" In real life, there are male strippers. Women see those male strippers. Magic Mike didn't bomb at the box office. Chippendales is a popular show in Vegas. Sexy Nurse is a fetish, you say? Well so is Sexy Fireman. That's why they keep making those calendars...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Surgo

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll Jesus View Post
You are blowing my post out of proportion. I'm simply stating that we act sarcastic and bust them if they mess up. (this is not saying that we say hurtful things!) I understand people are upset because some males make fun of females but that's just how some people are. Some people are a--holes that's who they are don't generalize all males as a--holes because you had a bad experience with one.
The problem comes when someone mentions gender at all. Not because it's necessarily hurtful, but because when you've heard it a hundred times already it's gotten very old.

It's a lot like making a black joke at the office watercooler to a black person. It might legitimately be funny, but you know they've heard it many, many, many times before and it's gotten very old. At that point, it's not funny -- it's racist.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnderworldH4des

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperialGoddess View Post
I am a female who plays every single day. My League name is pretty straight forward and I have never encountered any issues with other people about it. I have not once ever been insulted for being a "girl." I can understand where your coming from, but I don't care how Riot designs the female champs. I like to have my female champs all confident and sexy.
I love you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DogFoodCookie

Senior Member

10-05-2012

:/ Didn't read all of it and as a female don't feel the community is overly mean/rude w/e. WoW was much worse, I've gotten wow for being a girl but /shrug.

Why does saying 'I'm a girl' even have to happen? I don't care what gender you are really, let's just enjoy the game
And female champs? I don't see anything wrong with what they've made, I enjoy them thoroughly. Anivia is awesome, love Lux. Syndra, thought not played by me, looks really cool. Sona is awesome too...I'm getting off track though.

I'm happy to say I'm a female gamer, player of LoL and this conversation strikes me as silly :/
Sorry for those that have had bad experiences of course...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bongofrog

Senior Member

10-05-2012

Making a problem where there isn't one.

FEMALE SEXUALITY SELLS.

DUDE ON DUDE DOES NOT.

I would be willing to bet that riot makes 50 times more money off the sexy woman skins than they do off the "covered up" or "dike" or whatever you've all called it skins.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chumbler

Senior Member

10-05-2012

^^^^ There is a problem, you just don't want to acknowledge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll Jesus View Post
You are blowing my post out of proportion. I'm simply stating that we act sarcastic and bust them if they mess up. (this is not saying that we say hurtful things!) I understand people are upset because some males make fun of females but that's just how some people are. Some people are a--holes that's who they are don't generalize all males as a--holes because you had a bad experience with one.
Where did I say all men are *******s? You were the one who generalized men first, and I took issue with your generalization, because treating the entire *** as behaving in a certain way does a disservice to people who don't act that way.

Also can you really not say "men" and "women"? Why is this incapability so widespread on these forums?