[Item Concept] Elder Robes of the Grand Magi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XxxKarma

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginOfDeath View Post
DotA 2 Robe of the Magi
LoL Elder Robes of the Grand Magi

Nah there's no similarities there.
Why not just call the Wizard's Robes Robe Of The Magi?

Btw, not trying to sound like a complete ****** from this post, just sayin
Never played DotA or DotA 2. I just had an idea I used and it happened to sound similar. Does the Robe of the Magi do the same thing? Since I never played it and wanted the name of the item I named the WAY I named it lets keep it as Elder Robes of the Grand Magi. Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuffy Kisaragi View Post
not worth buying

stats aren't bad, 1st passive gives a whole 1.7% increase in damage, 2nd gives you 10% less mana used, which is weak. You get almost as much total damage from the havoc mastery.
Not worth buying? so what you are saying is that an item that provides some protection, damage, mana return and more damage than the Havoc talent AS well as being able to have the havoc talent is not worth it?

Also returning 10% of your mana is hardly weak. Most low level (and some higher level) items return generally around 5-10 mana per 5 seconds. If you hit with a spell that costs 100 mana and return 10 of it instantly that saves you 5-10 seconds of not having to wait for that same mana to regenerate... hardly trivial.

As well as say getting a target to run away and escape with 20 life without this item, but instead he dies because of your 1.7% more damage. So escape vs death, also not trivial. besides that its 2% increase not 1.7% your math is off. here i will show you.

Lets use an average burst spell of 1000 damage. (works for any positive useable actual damage number)
Proc chance is 17% or 1 in 5.88 spells. Rounded to actual use is 6 spells
6 spells for 1000 damage = 6000 damage.
1 of these 1000 damage spells deals 12% more damage = 120 damage
out of 6000 damage you deal an extra 120 damge
120 / 6000 = .02 or 2%
2% damage increase is literally another mastery point into havoc and is even better with damage over time spells. It's well worth it.

So by all means Please elaborate how its not worth it. You have claimed it's worthless but insisted support with your post to the contrary. Maybe you should try to support your idea instead of contradicting yourself.

XxxKarma

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
Yes, this is a spell crit. Just because it's not +100% damage does not mean it's not a spell crit. Just like Madred's Razors is a chance for a minion crit. A crit is a proc chance to deal extra damage. Whether that extra damage is a flat or % value, and the value itself, is a moot point.

ok lets get all "technical" as you want. A critical strike means the attack did more damage than was originally intended right?

So any attack that hits harder than you can provide on your own under normal circumstances is a crit. You deal 100 magic damage by yourself but right as you were about to hit the button fiddlesticks shows up and increases your damage by his passive. This is a crit right? According to you it is.

MY point was that a crit is labeled specifically as what its defined as for the purpose of how LoL defines it. Lets look at it a different way... You get this item to "proc" and (by your definition) deal critical damage.. you have the Mastery called Lethality. It directly modifies what is actually a critical strike. If we use your definition then EVERYTHING would be modified by this mastery that deals more damage than intended AKA critical strike. However since a critical strike in LoL is only defined as a chance for a Basic attack (or other attacks that have the chance to crit) dealing double the normal damage (before other adjustments) this is only a proc to deal extra damage.

My point is that Although a crit IS by normal definition a chance to deal extra damage and proc IS by definition a (special PROCeedure) chance to produce a secondary effect (which can also be extra damage), LoL defines them differently in terms of application, otherwise items like Infinity Edge, Lethality mastery and certain runes would increase this damage, but they would not for this item hence it is correctly labeled as a proc in THIS game (and this thread).

Just for the record in case you overlooked the items needed to make this I included a cloak fo agility... it adds a % crit chance... I was aware of what it might do when I made the original thread post. In fact I did it intentionally but I guess that was too obviousous and was overlooked. It doesn't change the concept of how LoL looks at what THEY call a crit.

So what IS your point then? That this is a spell crit? By standard definition a crit IS a proc IS a crit. They are one in the same thing. It's BASICALLY two ways to say the same thing.. but in THIS GAME they are defined seperately and mathmatically two different procedures. Is that even a valid point? Does it matter what you grammatically call it? You yourself made your own post a moot point. There is Always someone like you who wants to start an argument about non-issues for no reason other than to irritate others and "hear his own voice"

XxxKarma

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
can't tell if OP without cost....although the second unique passive needs to be reworded so that anivia's ult in a teamfight isn't free.15% x 5=75% of cost refunded...which can be covered through mana regen easily...it's just way too strong with AoE spells atm.

also karthus's deathfield never drops, Champs with a health cost can almost get more health back than they put in if they get a spirit ward as well...etc. AoE spells should only occur once.
First part was covered prior to your post even though I lowered it, the result was the same. In case it wasn't clear enough originally, I'll make it clear now. It refunds the mana cost once per tick of the cost of mana aka Anivia's ult costs mana per second and if it hits a champ it refunds (current change) 10% of the cost once and not per target. It was never too strong. Karthas's Deathfield is no different. You assumed the cost of the spell was one bulk amount and then the spell does completely free aoe damage indefinately since there is no time limit. It does not. It costs mana per second just like Karthas's Deathfield. They cost X mana and then Y per second. The refund would be X-90% refunded then another Y -90% for each other second the spell is hitting a champion and only once per cost of mana not once per champion. your math is incorrect.
As far as DoT's go the spell will cost X mana and deal Y damage over Z seconds. The mana refunded will refund X-90% regardless of how long Z is.

As far as the damage portion lets say you hit 5 targets with your aoe. One of those targets each tick is likely to receive the bonus "crit/proc/damage" from the item. In terms of total damage dot spells its not different. The spell may deal 1000 damage over 5 seconds but only likely (by % chance) one of those will hit harder where as if the damage was incured in one juncture you have a 1/5 casts to have one of them proc the extra damage.

**I already did the math many times and long before i posted this item for every stat on it and they are hardly op. In terms of how I presented it i may have flawed but the damage, stats and mana return they are in line with every item of equivalent status (trinity force, lichbane, etc...) and it is not "OP" nor is it underpowered either.

Resolute Riven

10-05-2012

It's not overpwoered at all. I like this idea. Minor stat tweaks. Sounds awesome.

XxxKarma

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonigle View Post
It's not overpwoered at all. I like this idea. Minor stat tweaks. Sounds awesome.
Thanks.

I was just looking for a different idea and a new item. Its so rare that they change them I just thought something new and useful would be fun to build.