Leaver Buster Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glowx13

Recruiter

10-04-2012

I was recently suspended for a day due to the Leaver Buster, leaving (no pun intended) me with a few questions despite reading the Leaver Buster FAQ (Its a little ambiguous as it doesn't really use any quantitative data). BTW I don't intentionally try to leave/DC, but it occasionally happens usually due to connection trouble.

1. At what consistency of DCing will one get a Leaver Level/Suspended?
2. How many levels of Leaver Levels are there, and what are the consequences of reaching each level?
3. "discourage Summoners from repeatedly leaving matches and/or idling during gameplay". What constitutes idling (is it going afk for 30 seconds...)?

ACGIFT

10-04-2012

1. If I remember correctly, the exact threshold is never solid; it's basesd upon how you compare to the "average" player of the game in terms of leave/idle/afk counts. You have to be significantly above the norm, which I'd guess for most days is 1 leave ever 50-100 games. (so, like 1 out of every 10 games would be a "high leave rate;" that's 10%!) However, during days where service is shaky (like right now) the "leave" rate is vastly higher, and as such, you'd be granted more leniency.

2. I actually have no clue what the levels are.

3. I don't know what is the exact time for idling, but to the best of my knowledge, it appears that chatting does NOT count as "activity," but buying items in the shop does. Also, from what I've seen in matches, the threshold isn't terribly low; it's at least in the 2-5 minute range.

Magus Crow

10-04-2012

The short answer is that we dont know exactly how many DCs or how much time idling will cause Leaverbuster to trigger. Riot keeps that sort of knowledge away from the community so they dont have people 'walking the line' for trolling purposes. What we can infer however is that the system is based on a percentage of time AFK/DCed over the course of your games (thus it tends to smack around newer players more than vets as the vets will have usually built up quite a bit of time compared to time spent idling/AFK).

As to how many levels there are... I'm not certain. I believe that the system goes from a warning to an hour ban to a day ban to a three day ban and has higher levels than that for severe abusers of the system but I have no experience with it myself outside of seeing the occasional thread pop up over on the tribunal forums about it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-04-2012

1) No exact details have been released; doing so would allow toxic players to toe the line with their leaving. (There are no good reasons to leave, only unavoidable ones.)

2) 0 is warning, I believe the next few go 1 day, 3 day, 7 day. After that, I don't know what they have. (Also, note that you're not guaranteed to get the 'next level' of suspension if Riot does a sweep and decides to escalate punishment for any reason.)

3) Similar to #1, however if you idle 30s you don't have anything to worry about. If you idle 30s every two minutes... I don't know. In short, play the game and you won't have to worry about it. If you need to use the restroom, do so before or after the game, they're not that long (if you truly can't hold it, you may need to wear leak-proof undergarments or seek medical attention).

Glowx13

Recruiter

10-05-2012

Do you get leaver points if your game fails to load up? Cause sometimes LoL crashes before the game even starts (or has a missing dll warning thingo)...

LegendaryLemur

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowx13 View Post
Do you get leaver points if your game fails to load up? Cause sometimes LoL crashes before the game even starts (or has a missing dll warning thingo)...
Most likely yes. Its your responsibility to make sure that you have a working copy of the game and that your computer can run it. If you start a game and your client crashes, you are leaving your 4 teammates alone on the fields of justice against 5 enemies. It isn't fair to them.

I would suggest starting some custom games (with no human players) until you can get the crash to reoccur. Then take note of the exact name of the missing dll file and do an internet search for the name. This should help you determine what you need to update (could be direct x or the microsoft C++ runitme libraries, for example.

If you need technical help post in the help&support subforum.

supister

10-06-2012

If they just stay in base and move once every 4:59 minutes, they are not afk?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by supister View Post
They won't be booted from the game, but they will still be afk. In fact if that's all you do, you will actually be flagged with a leave.

ACGIFT

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowx13 View Post
Does the game load up and continue for everyone else, and you fail to ever join in? Yes, it gets counted as a leave on your part.

However, if it crashes and then you manage to re-join within the first few minutes, and don't leave or idle again, I don't think it counts as a leave.

Lastly, if the game fails to load for you, and when you try to re-join it doesn't say you've left a game (And will let you enter queue immediately) then the game you tried to join crashed, and NO ONE entered it. No one will be granted leaver points for the game, and as far as the server is concerned, the game never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supister View Post
The system isn't that easily fooled. I believe it also examines the percentage of total time spent idling, and looks for patterns. I do believe you have to spend at least SOME time within combat range to enemy champions as well. (though not necessarily in direct combat)

In short, as others have said... Don't worry, and actually play, and you'll be fine.

Lord of T3h Ring

01-29-2013

1. About >5% of games idled will trigger leaverbuster, or leaving 2-3 games within a short time span. This can be like leaving one, playing like 5 and leaving another. That can get you banned as well. Even if you play 100 games, if you leave 3 games within a short time span (5-10 games) you probably will be banned as well. As a rule of thumb I would never try to leave a game within 20 games of another(your match history shows your past 20 games, so be careful if you see a leave in a normal game)

2. Leaver level 0- Default leaver level everybody starts with
Upon reaching Leaver level 1- Warning
Upon reaching Leaver level 2- 1 day ban
Upon reaching Leaver level 3- 3 days ban
Upon reaching Leaver level 4- 1 week ban
Upon reaching Leaver level 5(MAX)- 1 week ban?
Next punishment= Permanent ban.
3. Idling is most likely when you are at the fountain/standing in one place for more than 2 minutes. The system probably can detect if you are doing damage, moving or if you are actively using abilities, so if you aimlessly run around in circles in base, you will not be kicked for afking, but it will still be considered a leave because the system can see you never left the base.