[Champion Remake] Leona, the Radiant Dawn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chamenas

10-03-2012

This champion is slated for the Champion Kit Remake Contest, though not yet officially entered

Introduction:
Hey there! Welcome to my Remake of Leona, the Radiant Dawn. You may be wondering why I'm remaking such a popular and well-known champion. First, I'm remaking her for the Champion Kit Remake Contest hosted by the CCFC, which is what pushed me to finally shove some ideas I had in my head out into a finished package. However, if you're going to choose a champion for such a contest, you're likely going to choose someone who you feel could use a remake. So, again, why Leona?

Leona is a champion who suffers from being popular and well-liked in her niche role, it allows people to easily overlook some of the Quality of Life issues that have plagued her for a long time. They are, in no particular order:

• Punished by Bad Allies: More than many other supports, Leona is specifically punished by having bad allies. This happens to lots of champions to some extent, but it is not quite so evident in others as it is on Leona. It's to the point where it's difficult to take Leona in soloqueue as you really have to know the abilities of your lane partner to use her effectively, and that's not a position that any champion should be in.
  • Niche Role: Zilean, Karma, Sona, Soraka and Lulu can all be played in mid-lane. Leona isn't the only champion that's pretty much "strictly relegated" to support, but she's definitely one of the weakest on her own. Heck, while it isn't terribly viable, I have, at least, seen a Blitzcrank do well enough in the jungle. However, being unable to proc her own passive, Leona is really stuck being dependent on a lane partner. I don't want to see some "gimicky" fix to allow her to jungle though, I'd rather see her kit shaped to allow her some more self-sufficiency.
  • Un-Tanky Tank: Until the late-game, with full items, Leona alternates between being squishy and tanky. This is one of the things that really punishes Leona when she plays with a bad team. She'll try to initiate a lane fight, or a team fight, pop her shield, only to find that her partner(s) are not even remotely trying to engage. However, before she can get out, her tankiness fades and she melts under the damage. I'm not saying Leona should always be able to get away from such situations, but it certainly feels wrong that she gets less tanky as time goes on, it's counter-intuitive.
  • Higher Skill-Floor: Riot seems to be making more and more champions with lower skill floors and higher skill caps (though they don't always succeed, i.e. Syndra). However, Leona is an extremely punishing champion in that you really can't do anything if you miss your Zenith blade. Even if it's only a slight miss, you effectively have to wait for the cooldown to come back and hope you're not running yourself out of mana. This makes Leona less fun for less-skilled players who feel like they don't get to do anything on her.

These are the major QoL issues laid out for Leona. She is most certainly not in a bad place, but she could be in a much much better one. My remake is intended to address these issues. I wanted to make her get tankier over time, have a lower skill floor with the same skill cap, and punish her less for being picked with random teams. Finally, I wanted to give Leona a chance to jungle or consider other roles (even possibly a solo top consideration) and not be stuck as the lonely support that's dependent on her lane partner.

Abilities:
Attachment 535751
[P] Eclipse:
Whenever Leona is attacked directly she gains a stack of Eclipse (maximum of 5), giving her 5 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 15 bonus armor and magic resist for 3 seconds. At maximum stacks, hits will refresh the duration once. When Eclipse expires, Leona will unleash the sun's energy dealing damage to enemy units in radius around her of 2 / 12 / 22 / 32 / 42 / 52 magic damage (+0.1 per ability power) per stack of Eclipse. Enemies damaged this way are afflicted with the Sunlight debuff for 3.5 seconds.

Attachment 535752
[Q] Shield of Daybreak:
Type: On-hit Modifier
Debuff Type: Stun
Debuff Value: 1.25 seconds
Cost: 45 / 50 / 55 / 60 / 65
Cooldown: 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 seconds
Target Type: Enemy or Neutral

Basic Description:
Leona's next autoattack will deal additional magic damage (40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160, +0.3 per ability power) and stun the target for 1.25 seconds. She may cancel the empowered autoattack to instead blind nearby enemies for 1.5 seconds.

Specific Details:
Shield of Daybreak empowers Leona's next autoattack for 3 seconds, the cooldown will not start until after the attack buff is used, expires, or is canceled. Players may activate Shield of Daybreak a second time to cancel the effect and blind all units within 100 units of Leona and deal 50% of the magic damage to each opponent. Enemies hit by Shield of Daybreak will be afflicted with the Sunlight debuff for 3.5 seconds.

Visual:
Leona bashes her shield into target opponent. If the blind is activated, Leona raises her shield, which glows with sunlight brilliantly for half a second.

Attachment 535754
[W] Sunlight:
Type: AoE (Self)
Range: 300 units
Cost: 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 mana
Cooldown: 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 / 8 seconds

Basic Description:
(Passive): Whenever an Allied Champion deals damage to a target afflicted with Sunlight, those targets receive an additional 20 / 50 / 80 / 110 / 150 magic damage, consuming the Sunlight debuff.
(Active): Leona activates the power of the sun to heal herself, consuming all nearby Sunlight debuffs and dealing 10 / 25 / 40 / 55 / 75 magic damage to all affected targets as well as healing herself for 100% of the damage dealt.

Specific Details:
When Sunlight is on cooldown, allies no longer proc the sunlight debuff for extra damage, but sunlight debuffs are also not consumed by the attack.

Visual:
All Sunlight debuffs flare brightly for a moment upon activation, then they race from the afflicted targets as particles towards Leona.

Attachment 535755
[E] Zenith Blade:
Type: AoE
Debuff Type: Slow
Debuff Value: 50%
Duration: 0.5 seconds
Radius: 200 units
Range to Center of AoE: 500
Cost: 60 mana
Cooldown: 13 / 12 / 11 / 10 / 9 seconds

Basic Description:
Leona tosses her blade into the air, landing in target location and dealing magic damage (60 / 100 / 140 / 180 / 220, +0.4 per ability power) to all units in the radius. If her blade hits an enemy or neutral unit or an enemy champion she will jump to that location. Additionally, if she hits an enemy champion, they are slowed for a short duration.

Specific Details:
Enemy champions caught in the radius will be slowed by 50% for 1.5 seconds. Leona must damage at least one enemy or neutral unit in order to jump to her sword, but it will go on cooldown anyways even if it misses. The effect has a cast delay of 0.5 seconds between Leona throwing her blade up in the air and it landing, a visible light market will appear in the center of the radius, indicating the descending blade. Enemies hit by Zenith Blade are marked with the Sunlight debuff for 3.5 seconds.

Visual:
Leona tosses her blade up in the air and a beam of light appears in the center of its target location, 0.5 seconds later the blade descends on target location and a splash of light radiates outward for the diameter of the AoE.

Attachment 535753
[R] Solar Flare:
Type: AoE (Self)
Buff/Debuff Type: Stun/Slow
Buff/Debuff Value: 1.5 seconds
Range/Radius/AoE: 100/700
Cost: 100 / 150 / 200 mana
Cooldown: 90 / 75 / 60 seconds
Target Type: Enemy and Neutral

Basic Description:
Leona calls down a beam of solar energy to her location, encasing her in a shield for 2 seconds. When the shield expires or is destroyed, a wave of solar energy extends in a circular radius around her, stunning the nearest enemies and slowing the rest as well as dealing damage to all of them. If the shield is broken by damage, the sun's power protects Leona for a time.

Specific Details:
Solar Flare shields Leona for 150 / 300 / 450 (+1.0 per ability power) for 2 seconds, if the shield is broken by damage, Leona gains a bonus 10 / 20 / 30 armor or magic resist, depending on what type of damage did the most damage to her shield. True damage does not damage the shield, it is applied directly to her health. After the shield is broken or 2 seconds, whichever comes first, all enemies within 100 units are stunned for 1.5 seconds, all enemies within 700 units are slowed for 1.5 seconds. Additionally, all enemies within the radius take 100 / 200 / 300 (+0.6 per ability power) magic damage and are afflicted with the Sunlight debuff for 3.5 seconds.

Visual:
A beam of light shines on Leona, she then glows with intense sunlight while she has the shield as soon as it breaks or expires a rush of solar energy in a circular wave heads out, washing over everything.

Gameplay:
Leona now has 3 roles she can solidly put out. She's still going to be the same "in your face" support type that dives in and initiates things. With the Sunlight passive on her W, she's still going to have that insane duo burst, but she won't get it quite so early (As Q will still be the go-to level 1 ability usually, W will be grabbed second or third) which probably balances her a little as her level 1 power so honestly a bit ridiculous.

Leona can also jungle and even solo top. Technically, if you really wanted to be tricky, you could even bring her mid. There's just a lot that can be done with her as she has some sustain, some solo damage (without it being super high) and her tankiness. If you go jungle, she's going to have insane ganks with decent clearing and some sustain. Top lane she acts as a counter to damage dealers with her tankiness and sustain through their damage.

Conclusion:
I'm waiting to enter this kit remake until I'm fully confident that it needs no tweaks and is perfectly balanced. I tried not to change Leona's numbers too much, but, with some of the additions to the abilities, it's possible that some of her original numbers may need to come down (or go up, as it were). I'm also curious as to how the community responds to some of the ideas in general. Even if I don't win the contest, I'd love to see community support for this idea if people like it, as I'd really like to see Leona become more than what she is now. She's not in a bad place like, say, Karma, but she could be in a much much better place and that would make her more fun for everyone.

WonderBoy55

10-03-2012

Hmm, very neat although now that her defensive steroid requires that she be attacked and build stacks, wouldn't that make her less tanky? Also how many times can it stack?

Chamenas

10-03-2012

Added the maximum stacks, which is 5.

Also, the passive rewards Leona for building tanky, especially health items. Early-game she's got enough health to take a few hits, thus building up her stacks to a healthy armor and magic resist amount for quite awhile longer than Eclipse as an active ability.

As the game goes later, it rewards Leona more and more for tanky builds as she can survive the first few hits and get some massive tankiness out of it.

WonderBoy55

10-03-2012

Ahh i see. I guess the first few hits will be a bit more but then she is tougher later on and much longer up-time, a fair trade off

Chamenas

10-03-2012

Pretty much, it also promotes smarter play, which helps with keeping up the skill-cap, without, hopefully, increasing the skill-floor too much (since that's something I'm trying to drop).

If everything works as designed, you wont be punished by jumping into an engagement if it's sensible, as you should be tanky enough to get back out. However, if you just make stupid calls, you should still die. However, if you play it smart, you'll find a way to get a few hits in, and thus a few stacks up before jumping in, as some of the deadliest moments in a fight are when skills are used right at the beginning. You don't want those to obliterate your health before they get to autoattacks.

Chamenas

10-03-2012

I've decided to try my hand at changing Solar Flare just in case such abilities should be changed. I tried to keep the spirit of it while adding some slightly new flavor.

I need your help!

Almost nothing is balanced out of the box. I have only until the 15th to get this submission in tip-top shape, and I have a new job to get ready for as well as NaNoWriMo prep. I'm going to need all of the numbers people to help me tweak and all of the flavor people to make sure my kit makes sense and is coherent.

I love you guys!

Death Crave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Prettygood but I have 2 thoughts on this.

1. Zenith Blade - Why change its current look? I love that it reminds me of playing Zelda and shooting beams out of my sword. other than that the change to it is ok but .5 second slow should be changed to 2 seconds. Currently she roots in place for .5 seconds which is like saying a 100% slow for .5 seconds, so if the slow is only .5 seconds it would be half as effective. And as it is now her root on this skill is lower than it should be so stretch it out a bit.

2. Solar Flare - You removed its damage and put a shield, It should still do some damage although not as much since it is now providing a shield. Maybe you intended it to do damage and just didnt list it?

Those are my thoughts on this otherwise fantastic rework. She would still feel the same, although just slightly stonger. And you are so right about bad team mates ruining your good plays as her and with your rework it will give you a bit more leinance.

Chamenas

10-03-2012

Hey Death Crave! Thanks for your comments, I just want you to know that I'm very thankful for your looking at this. Every comment made so far has been constructive and pointed out things that I missed, so I just want to make sure you know that before I get into it.

1) Zenith Blade
My idea strengthens Zenith Blade inadvertently by lowering the skill floor on it. While the skill floor is supposed to be lowered, it also means I have to keep it balanced. If I add power in one area, no matter how small, then I need to take a small bit of power from somewhere else. I didn't want to touch the damage too much, so I looked at the 0.5 second stun (which I knew about) and said "what if we just made this a 50% slow?". Leona can still hit with her Q if she is quick enough on it, but it's not as easy. It seemed like the perfect solution for lowering the skill-floor by raising the skill-cap in this very small way.

2) Solar Flare
This was me missing the damage more than anything. I'll probably want less damage given the bonus in the shield, but, Leona also has to be riskier to use it, so it can probably still afford to deal a decent amount of damage and apply the sunlight debuff. Thanks for the catch.

Thanks again, I'll make some changes soon.

Chamenas

10-03-2012

Side note:
I, too, am grieved by the loss of Zenith Blade's current appearance and feel in my rework. But I see no potential compromise without keeping the skill floor rather high.

Death Crave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Yeah I figured you missed the damage on the ult it felt like it was meant to be there still.

As for Zenith blade I get why your changing its look to go with the way it works I suppose but the slow could still stand to last a tad longer as she doesnt have any other long CC. This is a problem that exists in her current live balance Zenith blade is underwhelming and puts you in relatively bad positions, if it were stronger it putting you in harms way might not feel as bad.