Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bigolfish

10-02-2012

Hey Ezreal,

Are there any plans (even if very long-term ones) to remake/redesign champions that are considered "unfun" to play against? To name the three worst offenders: Yorick, Darius and Teemo.

I do NOT think any of them are overpowered, but I do agree that they are just plain unfun to play against. There's so little counterplay option available besides "kite darius" "try to ignore Teemo" and "survive Yorick and hope his carry sucks".

Please No Feed

10-02-2012

Dear Ezreal,

1. Are there any new runes in the works for Season 3? It's okay if you can't say what they are, I would just like to know if there are any new ones on the way.

2. Again, not sure if you can say, but will there be more support oriented items that will be coming in the next couple of months? If so, could you possibly give an idea of what they'd be? Not stats or names, but just what they are set to accomplish(ie-Solari=shield for nearby teammates).

SixMinutesLate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
2. Urgot and Yorick, no competition.
Do you want to revisit Urgot on a mechanic level, or in fluff (which Morello has gone into depth on elsewhere)? I think Urgot functions really well as a ranged bruiser, with a very strong presence early game as a lane bully and late game as an anti-carry and initiator. I can imagine that you might want to look at how frustrating his early game is for his lane opponents and the amount of counterplay in his laning, but I'm not sure how this could be addressed without taking away some of the core feel of his character.

Jenny Wakemen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post

3. None are currently announced.

WHY would you say that.

Goooooooooood now we know there's a new gamemode coming

YuI Brenner

10-02-2012

Can you kill this thread and start a new one? It's just too big to comfortably sort through the relevant/recent stuff.

LeagueøƒLegends

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagueLegends View Post
Hey Ezreal, could you take a look at my thread and possibly give me my first red post?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2613980

Also ,any ideas to make it better?

As for your thread, I have another question.

If someone was looking to get into the gaming field as game journalist or working inside Riot on the community part for example dealing with the community, handling Q&A and support tickets, do you have any suggestions for a major?
Just bumping this hoping you see it.

Kinda cool that your answering all these questions. This is what I love about Riot.

Enlgmatic

10-02-2012

What do you think about mana/energy stealing items? Possibly an active that uses the opponents mana to cast your own spell?

Example: Veigar uses the *insert name of item* against a Nunu. Veigar then ults (would use 150 mana lets say) and instead of the mana being reduced from Veigar, it is stolen from Nunu instead. This would only be able to work in a direct relation (Energy steals energy, mana steals mana, etc.)

Fantasia Lopez

10-02-2012

I have 2 questions:
1) Can we expect a new female AD ranged carry anytime soon? The past few have been Graves, Draven, and Varus. The top 3 are Ezreal, Corki, and Graves. The female AD ranged carries could use some new woman-power.
2) Can we get a new mage that is ice based? We have Anivia but I just don't feel it with her. When I say ice mage I think of Crystal Maiden, Lich, or AA from DOTA rather than Anivia. I guess more than anything I'd like a freeze and the slow debuff.

Vanblod

10-02-2012

Well Ezreal, since you asked about new Ninja champions, and you want a water based champion, why not make a Water ninjitsu support ninja? What is that, three birds with one stone? Shen is a rare support but you do see him bottom sometimes. Would a more support focused kit be too powerful using energy?

Wyl

10-02-2012

One kind of Champion that I'd really like to see is some kind of "SpellBreaker/AntiMage" .

I feel like the closest Champion connected to that would be Kassadin, but I feel like his kit is quite ambiguous on that purpose because half of his kit indicates that he's a melee DPS with resilience to AP, and the other part of his kit says he's a caster with alot of mobility.

What I look into when talking about a " Spellbreaker " is not really a mage necessarily. It would be either a melee carry or bruiser or even a support that could withstand more magic damage than physical damage, in fact few bruisers have the option of increasing their Magic Resist because they notably have high end Armour or the possibility to buy alot.

I understand Galio does it in some ways, but he doesn't feel like a Mage killer, it's more a Support Tank being a Support Tank.

No assassin please.

------

Also, watcha think about my Karma proposal :

Quote:
  • Karma has a reworked system that I named Good & Evil (very original right?) to truly highlight what she's supposed to be representing. Basically, Karma has 3 set ''Good'' spells and 3 set ''Evil'' spells. Mantra is used to travel between sets of spells (the system is similar to how Nidalee's Cougar Form works). Spells are set on ''the Good side'' at the beginning of the game. Being on the ''Good side'' adds a holy white aura beneath her feet. On the same order of idea, being on the ''Bad side'' adds a deep black aura beneath her feet. (animations changed?)
  • Inner Flame renamed Will.
  • Heavenly Wave (Good) renamed Compassion.
  • Heavenly Wave (Evil) renamed Egoism.
  • Spirit Bond (Good) renamed Friendship.
  • Spirit Bond (Evil) renamed Jealousy.
  • Soul Shield (Good) renamed Harmony.
  • Soul Shield (Evil) renamed Desolation.
  • Compassion : Karma heals her allies (not herself) for 35/55/75/95/115/135 Health + 5% (+ 2 % per 100 AP) of targets missing Health. Cooldown of 15/14,5/14/13,5/13/12,5 seconds. Mana cost of 65/75/85/95/105/115. 60 width. 600 range.
  • Egoism : Karma deals 70/110/150/190/230/270 (+ 0,6 AP) magical damage. She also heals herself for 10% from damage dealt to champions, and 2% from minions and neutrals, and make opponents turn back briefly. Cooldown of 10 seconds at all levels. Mana cost of 60/70/80/90/100/110. 60 width. 650 Range.
  • Friendship : A tethered ally will be procured 1,5/3/4,5/6/7,5/9 % (+1 % per 100 AP) damage and 9/12/15/18/21/24 Movement Speed. Karma loses 4/6/8/10/12/14 % of her maximum Health in the process, if an other ally gets in contact with the bond, he'll gain 1/3 of the % damage bonus and 2/3 of the Speed bonus. Cooldown of 17/16/15/14/13/12 seconds. Duration of 5 seconds. 850 Range.
  • Jealousy : The tethered enemy now lose 10/12/14/16/18/20 % of damage potency and is slowed for 10/15/20/25/30/35 %, Karma gains these bonuses. Other enemies hit by the bond are dealt 100/140/180/220/260/300 (+0,7 AP) and slowed for the same amount. Cooldown of 15/14/13/12/11/10 seconds. Duration of 5 seconds. Mana cost of 70/85/100/115/130/145. 600 Range.
  • Harmony : Karma gives a shield of 100/150/200/250/300/350 (+0,25 AP) to an ally. If other allies are close enough, they are also shielded. The shield amount is reduced by 10% per additional target. She cannot cast on herself directly. Cooldown of 12 seconds at all level. Duration of 2,5 seconds. Mana cost of 80/95/110/125/140/155. Range of 600, radius of 550.
  • Desolation : Karma deals 80/120/160/200/240/280 (+0,6 AP) Area of Effect damage on and around an enemy target. Cooldown of 10 seconds at all level. Mana cost of 75/85/95/105/115/125. She can cast on herself, shielding for 75/100/125/150/175/200 (0,8 AP) for 3 seconds, and applying the AoE damage around her. Range of 600. Radius of 600.
  • Changing from Good or Evil takes 0,5 second.
  • Mantra charges recharge time set to 20 seconds at all levels, from 30/25/20.

Explanations :

1) This new system would greatly represent what the Champion is supposed to represent : Karma. Now some people could agree that her current system already does it, through the concept of Duality : There is offensive principles in defensive acts, and defensive principles in offensive acts. Which is what the current system revolves around. I respond this however : Offensive principles are generally bad, defensive principles are generally good. There are some cases of offensive principles being good though. The weakness here is that there are generally no bad points in defensive principles. Thus my idea to implement a system that revolves around the concept of Good deeds / bad deeds (=Karma). I agree a whole new champion could be created out of this concept, but as it already fits Karma, thematically-wise, why bother.

2-7) The new names reflect mind concepts that are tied to either the Good or Bad side. While the new name for the passive reflects that it takes Will to achieve both Good and Bad deeds.

8) New concept for the Good side's Q spell. Much useful for Support Karmas as they don't need to waste a Mantra Charge in order to heal comrades.

9) New concept for the Evil side's Q spell. Offensive spell made for AP Karmas mainly.

8-9) How does the two interact : Support Karmas will basically use Compassion more in order to heal, however they can also turn on to the Evil side (Egoism) to cancel Channels with the turn-back for example. While Egoism is better made for AP Karmas hence the damage output and the sustain in lane, you can still turn to Compassion late game since it can provide more effectiveness at some points, the heal will be stronger too since the Karma player will be AP.

Why does Compassion's healing excludes herself?

Since you can juggle with your health with more ease than with Allies' health, it would be easy to gain an optimized profit of Compassion's heal which potency is great. It also really inputs the need to switch to Egoism, even if you're Support, if you want to survive.

10) New concept for the Good side's W spell. Providing a good amount of damage bonus to her teammates.

11) New concept for the Evil side's W spell. Offering an addition to Karma's deceptive kit and also a nice addition to her raw power.

10-11) How does the two interacts : Support Karmas will have the choice to either cut one opponent's damage quite heavily or buff her allies' damage potency, it will probably be preferable to use Jealousy in laning phase, turning to Friendship when the jungler ganks if an additional slow isn't really needed or a retaliation isn't feared. Friendship will really feel useful when teamfights will start, so mid game into late game, with the exceptions of some dispersed episodes, like an enemy who chases you and you thus use Jealousy to slow him and reduce his potency. Now for AP Karmas, Jealousy will also be used all laning phase, will turn to Friendship in the mid game since she would just start to acquire proper high tier AP items thus not having the damage potency to justify taking Jealousy over Friendship. Late game she can choose either one or the other in most situations.

Why does Friendship costs Health?

It provides an interesting function for Karma : since her passive turns missing % HP into AP, she can get up to 21 AP from each use of Friendship. It thus gives more power to her other spells. Basically, it offers her the possibility to control her Health in order to gain power.

12) New concept for the Good side's E spell. Providing a good amount of survivability to the team.

13) New concept for the Evil side's E spell. Providing a high amount of raw power, similar to the current Mantra'ed Soul Shield.

12-13) How does the two interact : Support Karmas will be likely to use Harmony alot for the utility it provides. They can use Desolation to deny minions/neutrals or to soak some more damage in bad situations. AP Karmas will sure use Desolation to harass/deny/zone his opponent, but can also use Harmony in mid late game in some situations. Utility vs Damage.

Why can't Karma target herself directly with Harmony?

As the base amount is very high, she could escape bad situations with a bit too much ease for it to be acceptable, but she can still be affected by the shield if she's in the radius of the ally she targeted it on.

14) A little addition to prevent people from using Mantra more than intended, also to make everything going through with more fluidity and grace.

15) Allowing a faster gain of Mantra early to have the possibility to obtain more Combos, as the spells on the other side are situational for the side you're mainly in. While in late game, it makes a vital choice to obtain the right combo. The power is also lessen overall, the spells being very powerful late, you have to choose which are the best in a given situation.

Why not just keep her current kit and raw-buff her instead?

Adding to the Duality vs Good/Bad Deeds conflict explained in point #1, I feel the need to highlight that Karma's Mantra system, while being genuine, implements the need to sacrifice one spell's full potency to get one or two others, so it always kind of make you feel bad about the spell you choose to sacrifice, and what it could have accomplished at the end. Also adding that her most powerful spell is the one that feels the less efficient (Spirit Bond) thus disregarded often. I don't say that it's not a good thing to balance her current kit, but I think the one I propose would create a more interesting gameplay, give Karma more strenght, control, and more than all, create a very fun character.
And a new lore to fit that new kit :

Quote:
Throughout the earlier stage of her life, while her peers were crazed by the overflow of emotions they were undergoing, Karma would often be found meditating as, like she affirms, the key to Harmony is only accessible if the said harmony is made within your inner self first. Many were those who approached her seeking guidance from this embodiment of serenity. Oddly, some reported feeling uncomfortable in Karma's presence as if they were facing two different entities with opposite personalities.

When Noxian Troops invaded southern Ionia, her village was in the very first ones to be ravaged. In the said assault, Karma could be seen roaming around the little battlefield ; one moment a peaceful and kind helping hand ; the other moment a "possessed" fury sapping the will off of the Noxians. Her performance and perseverance during that fight saved many of her peers' lives. However, this drama unleashed a part of her she thought was under control, but had one and many positive impacts ; she's now a feared and admired symbol of balance. She used her abilities in order to raise Ionia's morale, and with Irelia's impassionate last stand against Noxus, provided a new light to the vanishing blaze of hope. For her devotion, might, and speech skills, Karma was made Duchess of Ionia and thus the figurehead of the Ionian Resistance. She never compromised, and she shared every hardship with her people, in both inner and outer combats. She learned to master the aspect of her she first chose to try to calm in her youth in order to increase her power, her inner resilience, and also to be able to defend those who can't defend themselves.

"This girl can not only trigger a storm, but calm it as well" - Irelia.