Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nomsumer

10-01-2012

Skimming these responses should have a Reader's Warning.

GL to us all in better LoL community future. Just think of the possibilities....

Triysle

10-01-2012

Riot, you guys keep on innovating these new systems. I am really impressed with how much you guys want to ensure positive behavior in your community.

Also a tad bit jealous, lol. If the company I worked for had the resources to make these systems, our GMs would have much more time to work on interesting projects and interact with our communities!

And for the naysayers - This system has been in use for only a day, and I have personally observed a significant decline in ragequitters, negative attitudes, and name-calling and other toxic behavior. I understand that this may only be driven by the potential for a reward, but the fact still remains that, at least for me, my playing experience has been way more enjoyable than usual the past 24 hours.

So again, thanks to all Rioters who developed and implemented this system. This is yet another way you guys are redefining the online gaming industry. I hope this brings a golden era of positive community behavior.

King Boo PhD

10-01-2012

So it's completely redundant?

btchutripndotcom

10-01-2012

i think this is going to have such a positive impact on random matches! stoked!

XilverDagger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Already people are acting nicer in chat and game. It's an awesome new system and I like the effect that it's having on the game.

It's a great incentive system to insure positive behavior, and recognize those people that are genuinely trying to play well and have a good time with everyone.

Sh00t3rman

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There's several problems here:

...For example, do you know how intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards influence behaviors? Which one is more likely to encourage permanent change?
THANK YOU for not having rewards (yet). I fear that as soon as there start being tangible (IP/RP) rewards, the honor system will break. People will never be good for money, unless it keeps going up. If anything, reward those with honor by having a higher likelihood of playing with/against other honorable people. Maybe have low-level players have a higher likelihood of playing with high-honor people to help them out. Either way, don't add extrinsic rewards to what only works as an intrinsic motivation.

Perhaps you could recommend some books/youtube videos describing the research you are mentioning?

DravenDarkstar

10-01-2012

Basically COD Boosting brought to LOl, Good job riot.. as for the reporting of people trading honor.. thats noteven remotley enforcable let alone provable. most players play using skype or teamspeak and tell their freidns to award eachother honor, Something that will never show up in Riotlogs. soooo your doing more harm than good here riot.

Xdragonale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

I have a question what happens if someone gets banned because the system picks up false abuse of the system? As well, will we get punished for not using the honor system?

stihgnob

10-01-2012

Awesome innovation, gj team riot!

Beaumains

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archøn View Post
What happens when I'm trying to be helpful (to gain honor) but the person/people I'm helping think I'm being a jerk and report me?

I play in an extremely low skill elo (myself included) where you get reported for saying ANYTHING helpful. IF I try to utilize the system then I can see it going very badly for me.
I would advise you to be careful about how you try to help. For example, offer suggestions, and don't assume the recipient of your gesture is a total "noob" - they could just be off to a bad start because the enemy team realizes the champion's potential and wants to specifically counter or gimp them. Even in low Elo. Maybe there's a pattern the enemy is developing (e.g. "everybody gank ash") that can be exploited. If you notice these things, point them out, warn the gankee, etc. there can't be any harm in that.

In low Elo, try to keep on your 'mias' even though you remind people to watch their map (being mindful that not everyone can watch the map, for one reason or another). Even if allies can't see the map, they can probably hear a ping. When your lane is won or lost, tell your team in chat that mid-game is about to commence; say something like, "they won bot, they'll be ganking now." If someone's been getting ganked consistently, suggest they get a ward (don't command them to do it); "a ward might help" is better than "get a ward" which is much better than "get wards noobs."

In general, just try to be a more honorable player, but don't seek honor; the best way to accumulate it will be to half-ignore it, or rather, just don't worry about it. Don't be "helpful" because you want to win the popularity contest, be helpful because you want to keep the game enjoyable, and hopefully win.