Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FireFlinger

10-01-2012

For future ideas for how rewards are given have you considered using average honor per game? That way players who are just semi friendly but play a ton of games dont get more rewards then really nice players who only play a few.

Please comment Lyte

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-01-2012

Lyte, why even bother entertaining this troll? It's clear that he's only posting negative things repeatedly to get attention.

LoLersBane

10-01-2012

this was long overdue, the key to having a healthy comunity is rewarding good behavior not punishing the bad one, while pupnishment for bad behavior is still necesary it should not be the more prevalent(correct me if im using the word wrong) one, you atract more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Oesophagus

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammerlane View Post
or maybe people with really low honor only get put into games with others of the same honor level so that those that wallow in a cesspool can be amongst the rest of the garbage
Now THAT is an interesting thought.
Pair that with a "spectate septic tank match" mode for maximum lulz.

Ghan04

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlinger View Post
For future ideas for how rewards are given have you considered using average honor per game? That way players who are just semi friendly but play a ton of games dont get more rewards then really nice players who only play a few.

Please comment Lyte
Lyte has said that Honor will be normalized based on the number of games that you play, so this should not be a problem.

Scarey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
He is not my professor, past or present. He did chuckle, and then, what I didn't tell you, he went on to explain a few studies conducted in the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and on a few he's been keeping up with fairly recently. Most of the conversation was brief and a tad over my head, but the chuckle was nice to hear. I was promptly pleased to hear the chuckle, as that was my response and being vastly uneducated in the field of psychology. Then, after it was explained very briefly, I was more shocked that this was greenlit, an experiment on a customer base, but I was assured it happens often, to which I was more disgusted. Also, Howard Hughes was a great man. I hope you appreciate his philanthropic pursuits, as well as his condition.

In a world without incentives, we may have utopia. In a world with incentives, we may have utopia as well. One thing is for certain, the governments lacking incentives also lack a positive outlook when they're easily viewed among the trash heap of history.
I'm willing to bet those studies have an extremely loose association with this situation. Also, we're not talking about a "world without incentives". We're talking about acknowledging people for doing what they are supposed to do anyway: act in a friendly, helpful, and honorable way while working as a team.

Let's take your government metaphor you keep relating to. Does the US (League of Legends) give you incentive for acting congenial to your fellow citizen(players)? I don't think so. Sure, you stay out of jail (suspension/ban), and you can gain a reputation as a good citizen (honor), but you don't get paid to be honorable IRL. Why should we be paid to be honorable in game?

Vancoor

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
If you don't find value in the Phase 1 of the Honor Initiative, then don't take part. We've infused a lot of psychology into the system and there's a reason why we aren't talking about rewards for Phase 1.

If you want to have a constructive discussion about it, we should talk about research where people are told they will receive tangible rewards for doing a task versus the surprise of receiving something for doing a task.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAP...Gz1wh5DmBLVGIQ

Fantastic video which I immediately thought of upon reading this.

Jesodoth

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghan04 View Post
It is true that there are a lot of toxic players out there, however, the Honor system is not designed to replace the existing Tribunal. Those players will still get reported and eventually caught and punished. This purpose of the Honor system is to highlight those games where there are positive players having a good time playing League of Legends.

That doesn't mean that there can't be positive players in a game where a select few are raging and trolling, either.

Well, I think I agree with you 100%. I guess I've been playing this game so long, that my view has become jaded.

I'll hope for the best.. and @ Lyte, nice work none the less, so far so good. I guess we will find out how this impacts the community.

Enofel

10-01-2012

It's working!

Played a game where everyone who chatted was sickeningly sweet to everyone else.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-01-2012
15 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavik1 View Post
Is this feature NA-exclusive?
Of course not, we're rolling it out to Brazil, EUW and EUNE next. We're going to continue rolling out the Honor Initiative to international platforms until every region has it.