Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Torinux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barioth View Post
People that play with invited friends will trade honor for sure, and since they keep playing, the honor will be replenished. And no one will be able to report or punish them becauyse they wont say in team chat "hey man give me honor after the match", the deal will already be set before game begins.

Meaning the more you play with friends, the more honor you will have, i think the system is broken.
Unless you can't honor people in your group, only those you met randomly in queue. If this happens then the system will be good. Otherwise i don't see need for a honor system which you can reward your friends. Smurfs will abuse this for sure if it can be used in group.
They already said they coded the honor system to avoid the abuse when playing with premades and or players in your friend list. They said they won't discuss or give furthermore info about how this works to keep away players from exploiting the system.

And you can't honor the same person over and over and over. This system is kinda ripped off off DOTA2, where you can give "honor" to your friends too but only once, there is no such thing like "I'm giving the -helpful- honor today and -teamwork- tomorrow" you just can't.

fr0ztbyte

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
I would wager you're mistaken if you believe the badge is why people put in extra effort. The badge is just a token reward, just the same as achievement points: meaningless and trivial. The tangible rewards the vast majority of any humans would want are tangible, beneficial rewards. This is the skin and the other arbitrary rewards they threw together to encourage people to better their game. I just looked at the Jarvan skin and though, "hey, at least it's a reward that's worth working toward." I look at this feature and think, "Someone needs to be working in a bit of a different field."
You may not find badges appealing, but the community comprises of more than countless doppelgangers of you. A simple poll would provide significant insight into whether or not people try to raise their Elo in order to get badges.

Timebomb0800

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Huzzah!

Praetor

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerys View Post
As someone who currently works in retail and deals with a thankless job, very few appreciative customers, and a manager who thinks that the only thing he should ever do is yell at people for doing something wrong(never appreciating them for the great things they do right), I like this Honor thing.

I don't care if you don't get anything for it. I think it's nice to know that people think you're a pleasant person to play games with.

As a pseudo-intellectual purporting to understand psychology and harassing someone for having "never studied psychology, even in its remedial form" you should probably have looked up the numerous studies that have been done on the benefits of positive reinforcement over punishment, too.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/family-affair/200809/rewards-are-better-punishment-here-s-why
Let me let you in on a secret: i have never studied anything remotely similar to psychology, but I did pass this feature along to someone that does: Joseph P. Allen at the University of Virginia. Know what I got back as a response, the very first response in verbal form? A chuckle.

Praetor

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0ztbyte View Post
You may not find badges appealing, but the community comprises of more than countless doppelgangers of you. A simple poll would provide significant insight into whether or not people try to raise their Elo in order to get badges.
I would wager the badge was just, as they say, icing on the cake. The actual reward, the substance, is the tangible rewards that people strive for, be it as simple as titles in MMOs or actual beneficial o-use items such as skins for champions here.

Zzastard

10-01-2012

Have not been able to log in yet but didn't see it listed in the FAQ, can we see how much honor we have to give.

You said each player had a limited number to give and they earn more each game they play.

Jordanoceros

10-01-2012

to be clear, all honor is supposed to do is affect in game chat and the tags on your summoner profile. It will not affect ques, yield any RP or IP and rewards as of now.

Will this eventually tie in to the achievements tab on our summoner profiles? It's been there a long time, I remember someone saying it was to unlock extra icons or something based on gameplay accomplishments, but that was a year ago.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-01-2012
11 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
I'll tell you what will happen with zero incentive: not what you want as a company. Have you never studied psychology, even in its remedial form? If you answered yes, for shame for shipping this feature this way. If you answered no, I thought so.
If you don't find value in the Phase 1 of the Honor Initiative, then don't take part. We've infused a lot of psychology into the system and there's a reason why we aren't talking about rewards for Phase 1.

If you want to have a constructive discussion about it, we should talk about research where people are told they will receive tangible rewards for doing a task versus the surprise of receiving something for doing a task.

AllyMcBee

10-01-2012

I don't understand how if I'm always queueing up with a specific friend in particular, and he usually more than carries the game (he's an awesome mechanically skilled adc, great at making calls as to where the enemy team will be or when to counter buffs, suggesting items to counter specific lane matchups if people are struggling, etc)...if I honor him after every game --because he legitimately deserves it-- (and no, not expecting him to honor me), that I would trigger his account being "investigated". Your "experiments" are severely flawed...

MathMage

10-01-2012

Praetor just got Psych'd.