[Suggestion] Player Commendations

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calchexxis

09-30-2012

I've noticed that while we've lacked a crucial feature in League of Legends. The ability to commend players who act like actual human beings. We have a lot of abilities to punish trolls who play this game and make it a chore for anyone who plays with them. That's good. I think that it's not ALL we could be doing though. Research has constantly proven that positive feedback is just as effective or even more effective than punishment. I think that if we give our players something to shoot for rather than just something to avoid it would go a long way towards improving our community.

I've currently just come from a string of games where I've had people acting like utter toolboxes and ruining the game for everyone involved, even to the point of the enemy team reporting them. Rather than just scream and yell about it I want to really try and fix what's happening. The tribunal was a good step but part of it assumes a natural inclination towards good natures in people. That they'll actually want to fix that part of themselves that makes them act like jerks to the entire team and ruin games. If we give these players a reward for being good rather than just swat them for being bad I believe it will improve the entire community. Being able to commend players for such things as being friendly, being a good leader, being patient with new players and helping them to learn their champion. Those things make a good gamer and should be recognized and rewarded.

ACGIFT

09-30-2012

It's called the honor system, and as I recall, it's in testing on the PBE at the moment.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

09-30-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGIFT View Post
It's called the honor system, and as I recall, it's in testing on the PBE at the moment.
You are indeed correct. The feature has been developed, and it is currently on testing in PBE.

Beaumains

10-01-2012

As the Honor system has just come out, and I can't find any immediate feedback for it, I'd like to suggest that another type be added. Over all the games I've played, it seems that there are a lot of easy quitters; those who will "surrender @ 20" for practically nothing (a misstep, someone dying, losing a tower, etc.). On the other hand there are those players who want to take a bad situation and overcome, and I think such players also merit some sort of recognition, even if it currently has no 'hard' value. More than just these specific examples, the new type of good feedback should be for all those who demonstrate exceptionally good character and sportsmanship. Or perhaps one of the existing types is intended for this? The FAQ doesn't seem to address this currently.

Itsmedemo

10-03-2012

For now I would slot it under one of the existing categories, probably teamwork? After all, they don't want to give up, and most likely want to work as a team to win the team fights and eventually the match.

I think it's more important to simply Honor them in some category, so they have that immediate feedback that their effort was not in vain, even if they still lost the game.

ACGIFT

10-04-2012

I interpret "Teamwork" to really mean more of also including "leadership," which would include that sort of work.

Beaumains

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmedemo View Post
For now I would slot it under one of the existing categories, probably teamwork? After all, they don't want to give up, and most likely want to work as a team to win the team fights and eventually the match.

I think it's more important to simply Honor them in some category, so they have that immediate feedback that their effort was not in vain, even if they still lost the game.
I definitely agree with this, but just as we're now able to check out peoples' profiles to see how they were honored (i.e. were they friendly/helpful/etc.), I think that possessing these traits deserves its own commendation. Not a top priority I imagine, but better added sooner than later.