Riot! I found a solution for your lacking AD caster itemization.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

civ

Senior Member

09-30-2012

One of the biggest problems for AD casters currently is their lack of decent itemization, but how do you go about fixing this?

Add in more items geared towards AD casters of course, but why stop there? Why not add in Casted Attack Damage (working title) too?

But Civ, what is casted attack damage (CAD)?
CAD combines attack damage, crit chance, and crit damage into a consistent source of damage scaling for AD scaling abilities.

How does CAD work?
CAD basically works by multiplying crit damage by your crit strike chance and then multiplying that number with attack damage. Confused? Here’s an example of what CAD would look like on IE if it was in the game.

Current IE:
80 AD
25% crit
50% crit damage

New IE:
80 AD
25% crit
50% crit damage
12.5% increased CAD (essentially giving an ability with a 1:1 CAD ratio 90 added damage without considering any of the base stats of a champion)

What problems does CAD solve?

The implementation of CAD:
- Instantly creates more build variety for AD casters with the current item list
- Creates more build variety for both AD casters and AD carries when any AD/crit oriented item is put into the game. If a new item with attack damage, CDR, and crit damage (adding CAD as a result) is added into the game then it might open up options for additional AD carry builds. 1 item will essentially become 2 different items based on if your abilities scale with AD or CAD.
- Opens up new balancing options for Riot. If you want an ability so taper off in late game you can still have AD (both total and bonus) ratios, but if you want it to perform a bit better then you can give it a CAD ratio.

What problems does CAD possibly create?

The implementation of CAD could:
- Break AD casters considering it gives champions with CAD ratios a lot of stats. If need be you could scale down base crit damage from auto attacks for champions with primarily CAD ratios similar to how you give tanks scaling base MR.
- Break AD casters if you make CAD scale too well. The conversion rate for AD/crit strike/crit damage to CAD in my example is probably too strong. I just used a 1:1 ratio so better explain how CAD works.

TL;DR – CAD makes crit and crit damage much more viable on AD casters. Adding CAD into the game increases build diversity and viability for all AD champions much more than simply adding in new items specifically made for individual archetypes like AD carry, bruiser, and AD caster.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Danners

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

09-30-2012

Soooo Corki graves and Ezreal all become even more stupidly powerful while kog vayne and the rest of the adc that nobody plays competitively continue to suffer? Seems legit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

civ

Senior Member

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danners View Post
Soooo Corki graves and Ezreal all become even more stupidly powerful while kog vayne and the rest of the adc that nobody plays competitively continue to suffer? Seems legit.
CAD doesn't replace all AD scaling. I thought I made that clear.

All carries would never get CAD scaling on their abilities since it's for champions like panth and renek.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chumbler

Senior Member

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ View Post
CAD doesn't replace all AD scaling. I thought I made that clear.

All carries would never get CAD scaling on their abilities since it's for champions like panth and renek.
If you have to make specific exceptions to who can get your proposed stat, you're proposing a bad stat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

civ

Senior Member

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
If you have to make specific exceptions to who can get your proposed stat, you're proposing a bad stat.
By that logic AP is a bad stat because if you build it on Vayne you get no benefit from it. Turns out AP is a good stat, great stat even, just not on champions without AP ratios.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Durzaka

Senior Member

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ View Post
By that logic AP is a bad stat because if you build it on Vayne you get no benefit from it. Turns out AP is a good stat, great stat even, just not on champions without AP ratios.

im not even sure how to respond to this post.

You misread the person you were posting. Badly.

Comparing AP and AD is not the same as what you are proposing.

As an extreme example of only some champions getting it, its like saying graves could use CAD but ezreal couldnt. which is a ridiculous mechanic to add to the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whitebird Alpha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-30-2012

Or they could add an item with a few of the following: AD, spell vamp, armor pen, CDR. Something built from Brutalizer, Bilgewater Cutlass, or some other item.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

civ

Senior Member

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzaka View Post
im not even sure how to respond to this post.

You misread the person you were posting. Badly.

Comparing AP and AD is not the same as what you are proposing.

As an extreme example of only some champions getting it, its like saying graves could use CAD but ezreal couldnt. which is a ridiculous mechanic to add to the game.
What? Any champion that buys crit or crit damage would get CAD, but if they don't have ratios for it then it's wasted on them. Tell me how that is any different than a champion buying an AP item when they don't have AP ratios.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drozzi

Senior Member

09-30-2012

I can't tell if the people who are arguing this actually read your post or not.
From what I read it seems like you want to add a whole new ratio all together.

And to those saying it's stupid for one champion to have it and not the other.

Are you ****ing kidding me?
Talon has only AD Ratio's
"Where's his ap ratio??? omg he's so weak cause he cant build ap, that's dum of riot to only give ap ratios to sum champions."

Im not saying I agree with your solution, I'm just saying people who try to argue it need to actually use their brains.