Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LunarisDream

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.
There's nothing that "looks right" about the angle and expression on Lux's face right now. Nothing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ratatox

Junior Member

09-27-2012

Agreeing with RoflSyrup about Morgana; all the other new art looks fine to me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phourc

Senior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
You da man, Morello - 100% agree with seperate art for splash and icon. Look at new Tryndamere splash, he's got a really cool dynamic pose going ( think that's the term, his upper body is angled down to unleash his big ol' sword), but in his map icon all you see is him looking down. Forever. It's kinda derpy


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FeIron57

Junior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
^

While I agree with you (and almost always do), I'm assuming that if there are enough people who think that there is something a bit off then there is something a bit off.

Also, most people might still be angry at the change from Finales Funkeln and see this as yet another threat to one of their most beloved champs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Postal Miku

Senior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, because everyone has an opinion on art and it differs. The opinion on whether people like this or not is scattered, where the old one was a mess objectively from an art standpoint :P

I'm only here to comment on the face icon problem; not opinions either way on the splash. Not only do I not know enough about art to explain anything in-depth, but I also don't really have interest in that subject. This argument will be a bunch of subjective statements thrown around, which in and of itself will drive me to drink.
You say the old classic splash is a mess, when Sorceress Lux splash STILL EXISTS and it's a travesty

this is probably the most complained about splash art in the game, and yet you all refuse to change it, what the heck is with this attachment and why wont you change it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

notFREEfood

Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryl View Post
I dont know why they didn't just use the vastly superior original Chinese art. I mean just look at how much of an improvement that is over the version they just added.
I actually like the new one better than that. The Chinese splash makes her look too...experienced.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Chosen Ones

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile Miku View Post
You say the old classic splash is a mess, when Sorceress Lux splash STILL EXISTS and it's a travesty

this is probably the most complained about splash art in the game, and yet you all refuse to change it, what the heck is with this attachment and why wont you change it?
Have to agree with that one. Either make a new splash or use the Chinese art for Sorceress Lux. The splash art alone for the Sorceress skin is enough to make me not want to buy it, even though it's a fairly decent model itself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-27-2012
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentGnu View Post
One day you will admit that someone who dislikes a given piece of art has an aesthetic point, and Hell will freeze over.
No, I'll let IronStylus do that because my aesthetic judgment is dumb and meaningless. It's an invalid discussion for me to have at all.

And, I will say, I do trust professional artists more than non-artists to make calls on aesthetic quality.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyhan

Senior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, I'll let IronStylus do that because my aesthetic judgment is dumb and meaningless. It's an invalid discussion for me to have at all.

And, I will say, I do true professional artists more than non-artist to make calls on aesthetic quality.
What qualifies someone as a professional artist?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FeIron57

Junior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, I'll let IronStylus do that because my aesthetic judgment is dumb and meaningless. It's an invalid discussion for me to have at all.

And, I will say, I do true professional artists more than non-artist to make calls on aesthetic quality.

Maybe I am just reading the devtracker wrong...but is IronStylus even still alive?