@Riot The future direction of LoL... What is it?

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 18
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Naldeer

09-26-2012

Fellow Summoners

This is not a "I hate Riot, everything they are doing is bad" post. I am simply attempting to discuss an 'issue' that I perceive to be important

I like 'direction' in my games. In most games (mainly MMO's) there is a perceived or official 'direction' that the game takes in terms of it's development announced by the developers. This development effects the story and/or characters, maps, visual qualities, system requirements, user interface etc etc. To simplify it, direction in my opinion manifests it's self in new game features through the games continual development.

I believe this occurs in LoL, but not the the extent that I would like it too. Keeping in mind the context, LoL is mainly developing Champions and now solidifying (although this is largely superficial as Riot is lucky enough to buy their way in) to the competitive gaming scene. Good. Fantastic. I was once of the opinion that new maps in LoL would make the game better (Magma Chamber, anyone?). I can't remember the exact post but after much pestering Morello gave a rather detailed and succinct answer as to why adding new maps (over champs) would be better for the game in terms of new content/profitability etc. I'm fine for the competitive scene development too.

Here's my issue though, it's two pronged. We seem now to be, for a tongue in cheek explanation, living from champion release to champion release. Yes, each champion adds a new layer of richness and appeal to the game, adding a new twist to gameplay. But what else? What is there beyond the horizon? The new lore idea about getting people to pick a 'side' eg Noxus/Bandle City and going to the Fields of Justice using that champion who is representative of the faction is a great idea. Correct me If I'm wrong but we didn't get a a single word from Riot about what was a rather fantastic idea.

The many people who play LoL and who whine about the Soon™ factor and slow champion releases etc largely ignore all the genuine handwork and time that goes into such things such as creating a skin. I have a brother who is game design and we talk about it a lot so I do have some basic level of understanding on what it's like to produce content. So the above paragraph does have its obvious limitations in terms of practicality but surely there is something in the wood work... Some new 'project Shiny' or some surprise Dominion-esq announcement... Which brings me to my second main point.

If there is something out there (and undoubtedly there is) then why can't Riot as least give us snippets of it. I understand that some new features need to have the kinks ironed out or they need more testing (etc) but can't we have a share of the pie? Most people reading this paragraph will of course understand why Riot doesn't rush out and say "Hey look everyone! We've got X planned for this X date" but if they do release something it gives the game, in my opinion, a bit of long term direction.

I really liked what you did when some Champions (namely Rengar, Ahri) were given their own "guess what's coming" segment on the front page. I adored the "we've got a very special announcement for you tomorrow [Dominion]". But I want more. I was Riot to better effectively communicate with their players what they've got up their sleeves. Even if all it is is a mysterious picture about the next champion. The ultimate prize however would be some major-ish announcement flagging some upcoming project etc.

I've most likely just rambled on, as I thought of this just the other day in the middle of a day dream but I think the point needs to be raised that Riot can do better in communicating to us what's in the barrel in terms of the games medium/long term development.

Thank you for your time... (hopefully!)

TL;DR: What has Riot got in development for the future of the Game? This question, I believe needs to be answered. Riot can do better in communicating to it's players what some of these potential new features could be - this adds a sense of direction to the game and stops the almost monotonous champion-by-champion trend that has so clearly emerged.

Groupon

09-26-2012

PhoenixPrism

09-26-2012

Champions... Champions Everywhere...

HunterHagen

09-26-2012

They're making it increasingly harder for newer players to get into the competitive scene.
There will be too many champions to learn in the future. What's worse, it'll be very, very difficult to own a majority of these champs.

I personally do not have a problem with this as I've been around for quite awhile. However at this rate, I can only imagine that new players will be overwhelmed in the future, potentially deterring them from the game.

They need to keep the ratio of free week champs to total amount of champs static. Same goes for the ratio of total champs to those with permanently reduced costs, and larger weekly sales.

On a positive note, balance is better than before (with the exception of RIGHT now (Rengar, Eve, maybe Kat, etc.)).

Another map like Summoner's Rift would definitely make a drastic change for the better to expand content, but it seems like a task too difficult to handle.

Mephiste

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-26-2012

To INFINITY! AND so on and so forth.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-26-2012
1 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldeer View Post
Fellow Summoners

This is not a "I hate Riot, everything they are doing is bad" post. I am simply attempting to discuss an 'issue' that I perceive to be important

I like 'direction' in my games. In most games (mainly MMO's) there is a perceived or official 'direction' that the game takes in terms of it's development announced by the developers. This development effects the story and/or characters, maps, visual qualities, system requirements, user interface etc etc. To simplify it, direction in my opinion manifests it's self in new game features through the games continual development.

I believe this occurs in LoL, but not the the extent that I would like it too. Keeping in mind the context, LoL is mainly developing Champions and now solidifying (although this is largely superficial as Riot is lucky enough to buy their way in) to the competitive gaming scene. Good. Fantastic. I was once of the opinion that new maps in LoL would make the game better (Magma Chamber, anyone?). I can't remember the exact post but after much pestering Morello gave a rather detailed and succinct answer as to why adding new maps (over champs) would be better for the game in terms of new content/profitability etc. I'm fine for the competitive scene development too.

Here's my issue though, it's two pronged. We seem now to be, for a tongue in cheek explanation, living from champion release to champion release. Yes, each champion adds a new layer of richness and appeal to the game, adding a new twist to gameplay. But what else? What is there beyond the horizon? The new lore idea about getting people to pick a 'side' eg Noxus/Bandle City and going to the Fields of Justice using that champion who is representative of the faction is a great idea. Correct me If I'm wrong but we didn't get a a single word from Riot about what was a rather fantastic idea.

The many people who play LoL and who whine about the Soon™ factor and slow champion releases etc largely ignore all the genuine handwork and time that goes into such things such as creating a skin. I have a brother who is game design and we talk about it a lot so I do have some basic level of understanding on what it's like to produce content. So the above paragraph does have its obvious limitations in terms of practicality but surely there is something in the wood work... Some new 'project Shiny' or some surprise Dominion-esq announcement... Which brings me to my second main point.

If there is something out there (and undoubtedly there is) then why can't Riot as least give us snippets of it. I understand that some new features need to have the kinks ironed out or they need more testing (etc) but can't we have a share of the pie? Most people reading this paragraph will of course understand why Riot doesn't rush out and say "Hey look everyone! We've got X planned for this X date" but if they do release something it gives the game, in my opinion, a bit of long term direction.

I really liked what you did when some Champions (namely Rengar, Ahri) were given their own "guess what's coming" segment on the front page. I adored the "we've got a very special announcement for you tomorrow [Dominion]". But I want more. I was Riot to better effectively communicate with their players what they've got up their sleeves. Even if all it is is a mysterious picture about the next champion. The ultimate prize however would be some major-ish announcement flagging some upcoming project etc.

I've most likely just rambled on, as I thought of this just the other day in the middle of a day dream but I think the point needs to be raised that Riot can do better in communicating to us what's in the barrel in terms of the games medium/long term development.

Thank you for your time... (hopefully!)

TL;DR: What has Riot got in development for the future of the Game? This question, I believe needs to be answered. Riot can do better in communicating to it's players what some of these potential new features could be - this adds a sense of direction to the game and stops the almost monotonous champion-by-champion trend that has so clearly emerged.
Hey there, good post that poses some really valid questions.

I can't tell you everything you want to know in detail in this post and I'm sorry for that. However, we talk about this a lot internally. While there's always room to improve on Champions, I think we're putting the right amount of care and resources into it to release cool stuff regularly - the question is non-Champion releases.

First of all, let's talk about a few of the features we think are important and are talking about already:

* Player Behavior (Honor, Tribunal improvements, etc). This is one of our biggest non-gameplay things to tackle, and Lyte's team works specifically and only on these aspects. This also includes looking at things like Matchmaking, how to group players, etc - no additional details yet, but Lyte will let you know as soon as we can While not always as instantly "sexy" as gameplay features on the immediate glance, I think most people agree this is an important area to focus on.

* eSports I think it goes without mention how seriously we're treating this aspect of League. Frankly, we think eSports needs to be supported in a way I've never seen of beforehand - it's what it needs and deserves, and more importantly, what a lot of players want to have. Our plans here will be unveiled more and more as we progress, but I think we're in good shape here.

"But, Morello!", you may ask, "These are cool, but they don't enhance the gameplay. I want to talk about gameplay features!"

This is, unfortunately, where I need to be tight-lipped on details. I will talk in more high-level stuff. Directionally, here's a couple of bullets;

New Maps: Xypherous and I talk philosophically where we want to spend our efforts on this front in the following thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2449093. The major takeaway is we discuss the damage of multiple 5v5 SR-style maps, but like new game modes like Dominion, TT or ARAM. Support for these existing maps is our next priority here. For design rationale on why we're doing this, that thread has a lot of information.

The desire for all-new mechanics: We agree that some of this is needed, but I like the clip we do new and familiar. I explain why familiar mechanics don't tell the whole story of uniqueness in this thread (get past my mid-playtest short posts!) http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...44270#29444270

This has relation to champions, but also can apply to other mechanics in the game too.

More reworks and support for the live game: Agreed. We formed a whole team dedicated to reworks, but we're figuring out some details on how to increase this pace (it's harder than new champs in a lot of ways).

The other aspect of this is systems changes - things like Guinsoo's new jungle of Season 2. We've got a LOT to talk about before Season 3 on this front (and between seasons is the right time to do big changes) including the new items overhaul Xypherous is heading up. We think there's a lot of nuts and bolts style improvements to return a bit of the experimentation and "new game smell" without making the game totally alien to people.

Better balance:Balance is not something I consider a major problem today, but could always use improvement. I have a whole team of Live Design that hyper-focuses on this and knows the game better than I do, and 99.9% of people reading this Balance, objectively by any reasonable metric, is pretty good. My philosophy on balance is well-summed up in the Kha'Zix/Rengar passive thread as an example: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...10108#29610108

Directionally, we want League to be around a long time. We want long-time players, meaning we need to keep strategies and the game fresh. Champions and Balance are good tools here, but you're right that there are many more - some of those up our sleeves at the moment. It's easy to see Champions and Balance because they happen so frequently, they warp time perception around other things. Did you know we released Dominion about a year ago? ARAM is pretty new to League too. When we release content so often, it makes everything else seem like an eternity (even if it's not actually "too long").

Riot is about one thing from a game standpoint; Long-engagement, serious PC games for PC game players. No churning out things to maximize short-term and burn long-term, no product abandonment, etc. We're all PC gamers, and want to make those kinds of games - the ones we'd always wanted a company to make.

HunterHagen

09-26-2012

How's it feel to hold so much responsibility Morello?
Fun/Exciting? Stressful?

EcksTeaSea

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-26-2012

Only thing I disagree with is more maps. I don't understand the point of new maps when the game is always going to be balanced around SR.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-26-2012
2 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHagen View Post
How's it feel to hold so much responsibility Morello?
Fun/Exciting? Stressful?
Yes to all

Yuan Shikai

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHagen View Post
Another map like Summoner's Rift would definitely make a drastic change for the better to expand content, but it seems like a task too difficult to handle.
Morello ahs repeatedly clearly stated why multiple maps in SR style actually HURT the game and why this would not change the game for the better but would actually **** it up by splitting the competetive community.

1234511 ... 18