How to top lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Huklz

09-25-2012

Does anyone have any advice on top lane like freezing techniques or other lane controls?

Lord Puppy Fury

09-25-2012

You want to just last hit in order to freeze your lane. If your opponent is damaging the minions more than you, you want to try to keep your minions even so the lane freezes close to but outside of turret range. For example, if you have two full health ally minions and four two-thirds health enemy minions, kill an enemy minion quickly to even up the minion pressure. The different types of minions modify this a bit, but in general, try to manage your minions so both sides stay even.

Sploooshed

09-25-2012

One of the biggest things, is to push lane to their tower when they leave or die, so that they lose money and experiece from the tower killing stuff putting you even FARTHER ahead

Amatzikahni

09-26-2012

The general rule of thumb for freezing a lane is this:

Two full-health minions sitting just outside tower range can be almost indefinitely frozen there.

Just take the little bit of fire that they dish out while your creep wave runs into them, and the opposing creep wave should have arrived by the time you last hit those two minions. Your guys should have less health when they collide, and you should almost be able to get two remaining creeps at full health to repeat the process. Personally, I have lots of trouble with this because the enemy melee minions tend to run for my caster minions and get whacked by the tower, or my side is too clumped and the enemy creeps spread their damage instead of focusing one guy down. So the way I modify it is as such: either don't freeze and use the tower to last hit, or keep ~3 minions alive and somewhat far from the tower so that a suiciding melee creep doesn't get into tower range.

Valrcrist

09-26-2012

Quote:
One of the biggest things, is to push lane to their tower when they leave or die, so that they lose money and experiece from the tower killing stuff putting you even FARTHER ahead
This isn't always true actually. If they leave or die while they have a creep wave already pushing, you'll want to just let it push, because the odds are you won't be able to completely clear it out and have their tower eat all of your creeps before they get back in lane. By letting their creep wave push naturally, you're forcing them, when they get back in lane, to way over-extend if they want any of the CS, which sets up an easy jungle gank.

Amatzikahni

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrcrist View Post
This isn't always true actually. If they leave or die while they have a creep wave already pushing, you'll want to just let it push, because the odds are you won't be able to completely clear it out and have their tower eat all of your creeps before they get back in lane. By letting their creep wave push naturally, you're forcing them, when they get back in lane, to way over-extend if they want any of the CS, which sets up an easy jungle gank.
Good clarification. I do this all the time so I overlooked mentioning it. But you then have to mention the downsides of doing this—often, when someone is coming back to their lane and sees their creeps pushing, they will go and gank another lane and possibly take some jungle farm or invade before coming back to lane. Always call mia's and b's so your teammates don't suddenly find themselves 1v3 or 2v4 and down a tower+dragon. I have lost games as solo top before because I was pulling and farming while the enemies were getting their carries fed; even though I pushed the lane often because I frequently saw them ganking on the minimap, they could come back before it reached the tower or before I could seriously damage it and still got a decent amount of farm.

kenoin

09-26-2012

It's not really how to freeze the lane but how to farm top effectively without being in danger of ganks or the enemy champion. Lets say olaf Vs Cho'gath top. Well, both would be getting pretty decent cs but they would both be very aggressive in order to try to stay in lane or push the other one out of the lane. If you're freezing your lane top, you're in danger of a Flash gank by the enemy jungle... Depending on who it is and who you're playing. Boots always help early game with countering and a gank. if it's a jungle that's very aggressive or camping top and you know this is going to happen boots+1ward+pot. Last hitting is very important but over all you want to get as much CS as possible while trying to win your lane.

ZeroQuest96

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoin View Post
It's not really how to freeze the lane but how to farm top effectively without being in danger of ganks or the enemy champion. Lets say olaf Vs Cho'gath top. Well, both would be getting pretty decent cs but they would both be very aggressive in order to try to stay in lane or push the other one out of the lane. If you're freezing your lane top, you're in danger of a Flash gank by the enemy jungle... Depending on who it is and who you're playing. Boots always help early game with countering and a gank. if it's a jungle that's very aggressive or camping top and you know this is going to happen boots+1ward+pot. Last hitting is very important but over all you want to get as much CS as possible while trying to win your lane.
^ This is pretty general information, but it is the basics.

Basically, in top lane you wanna farm and farm hard. Don't worry about wasting some abilities on minions to get farm the CS will help you overall. You always wanna buy at least 2 wards so you can ward top river brush twice without having to back. Sustain is a great thing in top lane because if you out sustain your opponent then you will get more cs. Out sustaining also helps keep their jungler top. If their jungler is top then your mid and bottom lanes can push hard and your jungler can counter jungle or gank easier. I'm an uber aggressive top laner and normally keep enemies up against their turrets just to keep that jungler away from my team. I make up for this with lots of wards and planning my escape routes ahead of time. Certain top champs cannot pull this off that well though. I find the more tanky champs you can push harder with and the more assassin like champs you gotta be a bit more passive. If you're nasus just farm passively and you'll win lane. You also don't wanna die much during laning phase. It's important not to die so you don't feed your opponent top laner or jungler. If you feed the top laner they will roam and roam often making the 2v2 bot into a 2v4 when their top lane and jungler gank. Keep in mind that if you get fed to do the same, but make sure the enemy doesn't make a comeback in farm. Typically, as a top laner you want flash, teleport, or ghost. You always want ignite since tops generally get alot of health regeneration. Teleport for pushing other towers and making random teleport ganks on bot and mid. Flash to get over walls and to get out of ganks (usually take flash over ghost on less tanky tops). Ghost is for escaping ganks, chasing, and just running to teamfights faster.Generally ghost is more useful on tanky tops because it lasts longer and covers more distance than flash, however, it doesn't instantly get you out of a bad situation. Typically, you want to max the tough skin mastery if you know you will be freezing lane a lot, so you don't die to minions early game. If you want more in depth info just hop on my chat channel (Zero's Help Session) and I'll be able to answer any questions you have and maybe versus you a bit since experience is more valuable than just being told what to do.

DinoTzar

bob000

09-27-2012

Before minions clash run to the enemy wave and have it chase you into the bush. Lining up enemy minions horizontally will make the lane push towards your tower.