Best Viable Item on Vayne?

Black Cleaver 3 10.00%
Infinity Edge 15 50.00%
Bloodthirster 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Certain items on Vayne

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RainbowKings

09-23-2012

I was looking at charts for Vayne and I saw different ways of building her.
I noticed that certain people build IE or BT first but after looking at this chart I noticed that Black Cleaver is more profitable in terms of damage for the first 28 minutes of the game and even after that it still does more DPS than IE or BT first.
I got it form here: http://lol.askmrrobot.com/tools/buil...getDummy,d=Dps
I know LW is a good investment but after looking at the charts I can see that the Black cleaver can help Vayne's early game ALOT.

What do you guys think? Is Black Cleaver viable for a first item ? If not why and which item suits the position better?

67chrome

09-23-2012

From all my experience playing her, Infinity Edge is better as a first item. It gives you enough presence to utilize your ultimate and burst someone down with ganks. An Infinity Edge critical strike bolstered by final hour and applied with tumble from stealth is enough to encourage the enemy to run away like 85% of the time, which defeats the need for life steal in the first place for sustain (as you won't be taking damage in return while you chase down that unfortunate soul). As for Black Cleaver, Black Cleaver is a solid item in it's own right, it just lacks some synergy with an immediate second item Vayne would likely build. When you chase the attack speed doesn't come into play that often either, especially in the early parts of the game were towers allow shelter from loosing fights. In that case Infinity Edge doesn't loose out in that regard at all.

Also, Infinity Edge and Zeal or Phantom Dancer is going to make you much more powerful than Black Cleaver and either of the two.

That, and flat armor penetration helps more against squishies than it does tanks. With Vayne, Critical Strikes and the proc from Sheen/Trinity Force will help you flatten squishy targets in 3-4 hits, so the armor debuff isn't that useful in that regard.

As for Bloodthirster, I'm not a major fan of the item. For finishing Infinity Edge you get harder hitting critical strikes, Finish Phantom Dancer/Zeal and you get more movement speed, finish Black Cleaver and you get armor penetration, finish Bloodthirster and not only do you not get any bonus, but you can loose part of the completed cost of the item (Last time I checked it needed 50% (20) stacks to be worth the cost).

Exacutioner's Calling is way cheaper, offers more life steal from the start, and has an active that halves the enemie's effective life steal. Not to say bloodthirster doesn't have it's place, but the only skill it buffs for Vayne is Tumble - Generally speaking focusing on attack speed (for Final Hour and Silver Bullets) or critical strikes (for the Final Hour bonus) is going to help out more. Well, the AD from Bloodthirster will boost Condemn's damage as well, but the utility in that skill is what it's used for.

Nea De Penserhir

09-24-2012

Eh. Black Cleaver's fine, but hitting someone four times is usually enough to kill them if you're prioritizing right.

Three Oh One

09-24-2012

This post made me think of this particular article, though it's arguing about Last Whisper vs. Phantom Dancer.

http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a...t-last-whisper

Mathematics play a huge part in determining the efficiency of items, like choosing BT over IE, but in a lot of cases it just boils down to playstyle. You could argue that Infinity Edge, with a 25% crit chance, is likely to crit at least once building to Vayne's true damage, effectively adding an additional autoattack and then some, which makes it better. You could also argue that the AS and shred from Black Cleaver gives her better harass, deals more damage over extended encounters, and functions as a utility for your teammates dealing with a high-armor target. Not to mention Black Cleaver snowballs, and an duel that someone thinks they might win can quickly turn around when they realize what Vayne's done to their armor, though the same can be said about Vayne's W in general.

tl;dr I refuse to have an opinion

RainbowKings

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chrome View Post
From all my experience playing her, Infinity Edge is better as a first item. It gives you enough presence to utilize your ultimate and burst someone down with ganks. An Infinity Edge critical strike bolstered by final hour and applied with tumble from stealth is enough to encourage the enemy to run away like 85% of the time, which defeats the need for life steal in the first place for sustain (as you won't be taking damage in return while you chase down that unfortunate soul). As for Black Cleaver, Black Cleaver is a solid item in it's own right, it just lacks some synergy with an immediate second item Vayne would likely build. When you chase the attack speed doesn't come into play that often either, especially in the early parts of the game were towers allow shelter from loosing fights. In that case Infinity Edge doesn't loose out in that regard at all.

Also, Infinity Edge and Zeal or Phantom Dancer is going to make you much more powerful than Black Cleaver and either of the two.

That, and flat armor penetration helps more against squishies than it does tanks. With Vayne, Critical Strikes and the proc from Sheen/Trinity Force will help you flatten squishy targets in 3-4 hits, so the armor debuff isn't that useful in that regard.

As for Bloodthirster, I'm not a major fan of the item. For finishing Infinity Edge you get harder hitting critical strikes, Finish Phantom Dancer/Zeal and you get more movement speed, finish Black Cleaver and you get armor penetration, finish Bloodthirster and not only do you not get any bonus, but you can loose part of the completed cost of the item (Last time I checked it needed 50% (20) stacks to be worth the cost).

Exacutioner's Calling is way cheaper, offers more life steal from the start, and has an active that halves the enemie's effective life steal. Not to say bloodthirster doesn't have it's place, but the only skill it buffs for Vayne is Tumble - Generally speaking focusing on attack speed (for Final Hour and Silver Bullets) or critical strikes (for the Final Hour bonus) is going to help out more. Well, the AD from Bloodthirster will boost Condemn's damage as well, but the utility in that skill is what it's used for.
Its more powerful but in a standard game where you dont get fed the time it takes to get IE is WAY longer than anything else looking at the charts BC does more dmg than IE and BT

Taikero

10-02-2012

What Bloodthirster lacks in damage compared to the Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge, it makes up for in allowing Vayne to remain more present on the map instead of having to run back to base every time she engages someone.

It's better to build Bloodthirster first and start farming it up, then shoot for Zeal and then Infinity Edge, rather than to have far less sustain with IE/BC and a Vampiric Scepter, at least for Vayne.

You can blame this partially on Vayne's kit and partially on her base stats, but like it or not she's the Talon of ADC's and Bloodthirster is her best item.

mookowz

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowKings View Post
I was looking at charts for Vayne and I saw different ways of building her.
I noticed that certain people build IE or BT first but after looking at this chart I noticed that Black Cleaver is more profitable in terms of damage for the first 28 minutes of the game and even after that it still does more DPS than IE or BT first.
I got it form here: http://lol.askmrrobot.com/tools/buil...getDummy,d=Dps
I know LW is a good investment but after looking at the charts I can see that the Black cleaver can help Vayne's early game ALOT.

What do you guys think? Is Black Cleaver viable for a first item ? If not why and which item suits the position better?
maybe in top lane? I'll have to try that

BIoodySky

10-02-2012

I like cleaver, Vayne needs speed.
Sometime I build pure speed,as boot and 4 bow+cleaver,so fast.

MuhGeeSher

10-03-2012

I've tried those 3 items. I'd have to say my absolute favorite is Bloodthirster, although I.E is nice as well. It keeps me in lane so much longer and the lifesteal is extremely nice as mid/late-game aproaches. Getting the stacks early on in Bloodthirster makes you almost unstoppable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sQBOlR807I