League of Legends WORKING on Linux

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JFat

09-10-2012

Wish developers would just start making games native linux also! Like they did with HoN;
wouldn't even need to use windows anymore.. haha

Aisu Tani

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1billion View Post
Thanks for posting this guide. Following the instructions now.

edit: Unable to install wininet (there's a 404 error when accessing the file from Microsoft's server), unable to install ie6 (running a 64-bit OS, and the installation complains that it is compatible with 32-bit architectures only). Oh well. :/
I got that error too, but I also got other errors that said it the other way around. The installations keep telling me that they are only compatible with a 64 bit OS. I am running 64-bit "Ultimate Ubuntu" OS. I am running the latest version of Wine, but it appears to be a 32-bit version of Windows. I am pretty confused at how so many Linux users have gotten this to work if this is the case. o_O So which is the problem and is it possible to fix without having to change my Linux OS?

Ribbonwing

09-20-2012

I've managed to get the game installed, and I can even run and patch it, but when I try to login i get first "server busy" and then "Login failed for an uknown reason". anyone else have trouble with this?

AMDphreak

09-20-2012

This solution didn't work for me. I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu. I cannot get ie6 to install properly with Winetricks, because it complains that it's not compatible with the 64-bit wine environment. Do you have any suggestions?

4lokoFTW

09-23-2012

~$ cd /home/[shannon]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system
bash: cd: /home/[shannon]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program: No such file or directory

Any help please?

themaddscientist

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDphreak View Post
This solution didn't work for me. I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu. I cannot get ie6 to install properly with Winetricks, because it complains that it's not compatible with the 64-bit wine environment. Do you have any suggestions?
From my experience the game will still work, but it will have a tendency to hang after the loading screen is done, which can be fatal to your early game and potentially the rest of the game. I tried installing ie8 to see if that helped, but it doens't appear to do much. I will report back if I figure it out.

Agent Norris

Recruiter

09-29-2012

im still farly new to linux, i am getting a program error telling me the PMB.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

Siejai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonwing View Post
I've managed to get the game installed, and I can even run and patch it, but when I try to login i get first "server busy" and then "Login failed for an uknown reason". anyone else have trouble with this?

This is a known bug, and it's not Linux specific. This also happens in Windows 7.

AMDphreak

09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaddscientist View Post
From my experience the game will still work, but it will have a tendency to hang after the loading screen is done, which can be fatal to your early game and potentially the rest of the game. I tried installing ie8 to see if that helped, but it doens't appear to do much. I will report back if I figure it out.
I read several more guides for installing on Linux.

I have successfully gotten LoL to run on my laptop with Ubuntu 64-bit and 64-bit wine, although not that great. I'm trying to get LoL to run on my desktop running Archlinux, but I'm having zero luck. It isn't as easy as this one, sadly.

Here's how I got LoL to run on Ubuntu 64-bit, while STILL keeping a 64-bit install of wine. You need to install ie6 to a 32-bit side-by-side environment for wine:

Use this command to establish a 32-bit side-by-side instance of a wine environment:
Quote:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32/ WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
(found here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....806725#p806725)
Do not point WINEPREFIX at "~/.wine" because ~/.wine is for the 64-bit installation of wine.

Then, do this:
Quote:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32/ WINEARCH=win32 winetricks ie6
(found here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....806633#p806633)
This installs the ie6 to the 32-bit environment. When wine runs later, it draws software from both the 32 bit and 64 bit environment (I think). This command will not immediately install ie6. You must run it twice. The first time, it pops up a folder and a webpage where you can download msie60.exe. You have to download a full 75 MB of former Microsoft bloatware glory from oldapps.com, then drag and drop the downloaded installer EXE into the folder. After you drag and drop that huge fat installer into the folder, you just re-run the command:
Quote:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32/ WINEARCH=win32 winetricks ie6
Now, continue with the rest of the original guide here.

RheTapist

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxeAzn View Post
################################################## ####################################
Could any Riot Staff please sticky this forum so that more Linux users can benefit from this easy method?
################################################## ####################################

Before I start, YES, I did get a lot of help from other forum posts. However, I found there was no single forum post that effectively led me all the way through. I had to figure out a lot of this by myself.

Working as of: 25 March 2012

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a VERY EASY guide on installing and running LoL on Linux.
(I will be using Ubuntu, but if you modify the code a little bit, it will work for any distro)

Step 1: Install Wine1.4 and Winetricks

code: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
(adds ppa repository of wine)

code: sudo apt-get update
(updates the database/list)

code: sudo apt-get install wine1.3
(installs wine1.4)

code: sudo apt-get install winetricks
(installs winetricks)

Step 2: Install Winetricks Extra Components

code: winetricks vcrun2005
(installs visual c++ 2005)

code: winetricks wininet
(installs inet)

code: winetricks ie6
(installs internet explorer 6)

code: winetricks d3dx9
(installs directx 9)

code: winetricks corefonts
(installs several windows fonts)

code: winetricks adobeair
(installs adobe air)

Step 3: Change Wine1.4 Settings to "Windows 7"

code: winecfg
(opens wine config)

Then, change the Windows Version Setting to "Windows 7"

Step 4: Move a Previous Install of LoL

You should place the folder (Riot Games) into the following location:
(/home/[USER]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/)

Make sure you replace [USER] with the correct name.
ALSO, .wine is sometimes hidden from view, so you may have to find it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you have completed the above tasks, you will now have to open the LoL Launcher. To do that, you will have to type the following two lines of code into a terminal every time you want to play LoL.

code: cd "/home/[USER]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system"
(changes directory to where you have LoL folder installed)

code: WINEDEBUG=+ntdll wine "rads_user_kernel.exe" run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
(runs program under debug mode)

(make sure to replace [USER] with the correct name)

The League of Legends launcher should now appear and begin updating.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new install of League of Legends on Linux!

IF this worked for you, please LIKE this, so that other people will be able to see this post.
IF it didn't work for you, or you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment.

Known Bugs: Because this is NOT meant to be played on Linux, there ARE bugs.
-Store in Lobby/Launcher (NOT IN-GAME) does not work. If you press it, LoL Launcher.exe crashes.
-Health Bar on HUD remains full, no matter how much health you have.
-Recall Bar remains full while you recall.
LoL in Ubuntu, best step-by-step ever! everything is working great.