Creative Design AMA - Kha'Zix, the Voidreaver

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Rick Grimes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

Okay, let me start off saying I love this lore. But take a step back. Replace the word Valoran with Earth. The word void with future. The word Rengar with Goku and the word Kha'Zix with Cell. This lore reminds me of Cell from DBZ.

Septicus

09-21-2012

SO! Since Kog has a dad, can we assume that Kha'zix has a mother.... a QUEEN perhaps? (You should know where I am going with this...)

20thCenturyFaux

QA Analyst

09-21-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Oh heck yes.

What does Kha'Zix think of Yordles?
What does Malzahar think of Kha'Zix (and vice versa)?
What does Kog'Maw think of Kha'Zix (and vice versa)?
Does Kha'Zix see Draven as worthy of devouring, since he's just that Draven?
Since Jax is so powerful, does he seek to consume him?
Does he have any relations with Skarner?
In order: They're delicious but unfulfilling. He doesn't generally get any genetic benefit to eating them, but they're like candy ^^

Mal'zahar likely finds Kha'Zix oddly familiar, having seen visions of the Void coming to Valoran, but Kha'Zix was not the main focus of what the prophet saw... For his part, Kha'Zix has had no contact with Mal'zahar. If he encountered the prophet, I suspect he would understand what happened to Malz in terms of what Kha'Zix himself does--that Malz adapted with the Void, and has become something greater than before.

Kog'Maw like bug! :3 For his part, Kha'Zix would see the potential in Kog'Maw. This would be especially true if Kha'Zix was aware on some level of Kog'Maw's father...

Kha'Zix would not single Draven out for eating because smugness is not something Kha'Zix needs to devour prey. Jax is not something Kha'Zix would be interested in eating because he has not yet come to respect the nature of Jax's battle prowess, but if he evolved or otherwise learned more, he may be tempted to try. Whether he would actually gain anything from eating Jax is another question entirely.

Skarner's people are very elusive, and Kha'Zix has not done much exploring. I think Kha'Zix is completely unaware of Skarner, but would definitely take an opportunity to eat him if he encountered the scorpion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolosaurus View Post
Why did Kha'Zix join the League?
Or was he brought in via force?
Also, what is Kha'Zix's opinion on Cho'Gath/Kog'Maw/Malzahar/Kassadin etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobomberman View Post
Why would Kha'Zix be in the league after Rengar?
How does Kha'Zix feel knowing that he cannot actually devour any of the champs to better himself?
Kha'Zix did get captured yes? (I mean, theres no way he would willingly join a League where he can't kill anyone/better evolve himself right?)

We've found it best to leave questions of the League to player imagination and focus ourselves on character-driven stories; the better the character, the more ways to answer those questions. Where we answer those questions ourselves, we often find that it can limit the character.

So given that, let's explore those questions! Why would Kha'Zix join the league? I can see many reasons, primarily among them the huge treasure-trove of interesting creatures to devour. There's also Rengar, who would draw Kha'Zix like a moth to flame. Was he brought in by force? Many would love to capture such a monstrous creature, but I find it difficult to imagine any prison keeping Kha'Zix for long. Hypothetically, I think it would be significantly easier to kill Kha'Zix than to imprison him, so personally I don't believe he has ever been captured. As for not being able to devour champs under certain curious circumstances, well, Kha'Zix is nothing if not adaptable. If there is an occasion where he can't devour a champion, he would find a different occasion to attack them, but he would not give up. At a fundamental level, Kha'Zix is not physically capable of what we call "giving up". He could become anything, given time; he can be delayed, but he cannot be denied. He will only "give up" when he is dead.

I've already talked about Malz and Kog, so here I'll talk about Cho and Kass. I personally believe that Kha'Zix would be interested by Kass but not trust him. Conversely, Kassadin would recognize Kha'Zix's potential but views the more imminent Void threats, such as Cho'Gath, as more important and more pressing.

For Cho'Gath, I believe there's a certain compatibility, a monstrously alien camaraderie between Cho and Kha. They both devour to grow and grow to devour, they have similar basic makeup. Kha'Zix is playing the ground game, turning Valoran's strength against it, adapting to become a better predator to devour the creatures of this world. Cho'Gath is set in form and devours Valoran creatures that he may become large enough to overshadow and consume them all. They have similar goals and different methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
What was Kha'Zix devouring in his sneak peak? Was it a notable kill or even his first in Valoran? Is it void-based in Origin? Does it happen to be a Spider Queen?
Kha'Zix finds every kill notable, but it was more likely to be one of his first kills in Valoran than a specifically notable being. Kha'Zix would need extreme circumstances before he would be willing to eat a Void being, and even then, he may refuse. As for if it's a queen of spiders, Kha'Zix has eaten spiders before, but he shows no adaptations of spider origin. Since one can imagine a queen of spiders being highly powerful, one could then assume that Kha'Zix would adapt some portion of such a thing's power. Since Kha'Zix has no spider powers, one can then decide that he probably did not eat any spidery queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
So, Mech Kha'Zix is what happen when Viktor convince Warwick to find him a worthy specimen for his glorious evolution?
Perhaps. Skins are not canon, of course, but within a hypothetical Glorious Evolution future, we do see battlecast creations that are as advanced as Mecha Kha'Zix. However, they follow a naming scheme and a certain design aesthetic--heavy, powerful, inelegant in form but elegant in function, as is Viktor's way. They are beautiful in a towering brutal fashion. Mecha Kha'Zix is sleeker and lighter, and his visual appeal is different. Perhaps he signals a shift in Viktor's design methodology, perhaps he is an independent line from the Battlecast, perhaps he is something else entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engrailed View Post
His lore uses the word 'infiltrate' to describe how Kha'Zix came to Valoran. Is Kha'Zix acting out his own agenda or is he infiltrating on someone else's orders?
Kha'Zix is acting out his own agenda, which happens to be infiltration, which itself lines up very well with what other Void creatures are doing. If there is an intelligence behind these actions, if there is a plan, is unknown. Mal'zahar has perhaps the most information on this topic, and his mind has been twisted by the visions he has seen. Some knowledge is not meant for mortals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engrailed View Post
Also, as a follow-up, is his end goal simply to become the strongest thing in Valoran and then move on to another plane of existence or planet, like an interdimensional locust swarm? Is there some other end goal he is trying to reach that consuming everything will lead him closer to? Is there something on Valoran specifically that he wants (I know he's obsessed with Rengar now, but that was after he got here. What informed his decision to choose Valoran?)

Do creatures of the void generally just embody basic urges without additional motivating factors?
Kha'Zix does not think in terms of end goals. If he did, it would be "to become perfect", which itself is relative based on environment--but he does not. Kha'Zix is a being of process, of the flow of moment to moment. He thinks in terms of where prey will go and where he will go; he's not a planner or a schemer.

To Kha'Zix, life is change. In the way that most people don't have one dominant goal that drives their whole lives, and they mainly want to live well, Kha'Zix also wants to live well. For him, this means constantly changing, constantly improving. Fretting about what one will become distracts from the act of becoming. He came to Valoran to gain its strength. While he is there, he will turn that strength against Valoran, and through his very existence, he will bring that strength into the Void, but the point is neither the strength itself nor any concerns about worlds. For Kha'Zix, the point is the change itself.

Void creatures are infinitely varied and terrible. To strictly define their motives is impossible. They certainly can embody basic urges, but beyond that is inscrutable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyElf View Post
I guess that explains his similarity to Rengar as far as skills go.

And what about Cho and Kha'zix? They bffs, rivals, neutral?
Yes and no. Kha'Zix and Rengar have similar themes because of the story we're telling with the characters, but they feel drastically different to play. Try them and see! Answers for Cho are in an earlier question in this post.

Dr Toenail

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

If he and Varus fought (off the fields of justice) who would win and why? (Is he even able to devour the shadowy stuff on Varus?)

Septicus

09-21-2012

I am only re-posting because I don't know if you were typing this all out when I posted and you probably will not go back and check to see if you missed anything. (I don't know your process) You might have also overlooked my question even if it was half serious, but I just want to be sure:

SO! Since Kog has a dad, can we assume that Kha'zix has a mother.... a QUEEN perhaps? (You should know where I am going with this...)

9Point

09-21-2012

How do summoners feel about Kha'Zix? Or other Void champs?
- I mean people are willingly "summoning" a void creature whose intentions are almost entirely unknown...

How do the nations feel about these Void creatures?
I mean Cho, seems like he has always had a presence.
But Kog, Malz, and now Kha'Zix... Do the nations like Ionia and Demacia feel threatened by these appearances?
-A follow up being, how do nations like Zuan and Noxis feel about this? I mean, it seems in terms of the war Noxis and Zuan had no chance of winning (even while employing less admirable tactics). But with these Void creatures become more and more "common", are there plots to employ the same technology that made Sion, Singed famous to Void creatures?
- Second follow up being, will there be any expeditions to these creatures place of origin?

Ginga

09-21-2012

How does being in the explosion of his own Void Spike heal Kha'Zix?

(I can semi-understand it in a gameplay perspective, but lore?)

Borand

09-21-2012

Where are Kha'Zix's wounds from his battle with Rengar? Rengar lost an eye in that fight, Kha'Zix can't have just made it out with no scars at all. Let's not talk about scars in his pride, just the ones he aqcuired on his body. Could his battle with Rengar have hurt him in such way that it would damage his evolution mechanisms/abilities to evolve?

Why did Kha'Zix enter the league instead of devouring even more creatures on Valoran while he could get back on Rengar easier that way? Which of them joined the league first?

Does Kha'Zix evolve only when he devours strong opponents or does he also slowly evolve with weak prey as well? Does his evolutionary potential have a ceiling?

What is Kha'Zix's intelligence level? We know Cho'Gath is really intelligent, and Kog'Maw seems like the exact opposite.

20thCenturyFaux

QA Analyst

09-21-2012
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeta88 View Post
How did he crossover? Was it easy for him? does that mean the void can cross over quicker and easier now?
Kha'Zix understands perfectly why he is in Valoran, but how is more mysterious. The mechanics of entering this realm from another get into technical realms of magic that he has no interest in.

Quote:
Why the godzilla approach and not the xenomorph approach? Very disappointed in this.

Is his blood acidic?
Kha'Zix's blood is not acidic, and it is unlikely he would desire such an adaptation--dissolved prey is useless to him. I'm not sure I understand the other question. "Godzilla approach", "xenomorph approach" ? My instinct is that he uses neither approach, but I don't really know what you mean.

Quote:
What other champions in the league would he be eager to devour?

So Kog Maw looks kind of like a slug and this guy looks like a....some animal. upright praying mantus almost. Do these guys have insectoid parents as well? We sort of know about Kog Maws Daddy but what about Kha's parents?
I find the first question here very interesting. Kha'Zix has initially very little knowledge of who's in the League, but as he learns more, his targets change. At a very simple physical level, he would look at champions such as Volibear, Rammus, and Warwick as good targets for devouring because he could take some of their physical characteristics to adapt himself. If he devoured his way into an expanded intellect, however, his purview changes. He would likely become curious about his own nature--can he devour magic? Could he adapt Anivia's phoenix nature to defy death? He would find an expanded menu. Can he devour mages? The undead? More interesting questions. But then there's that special category. If Kha'Zix devours his way to an expanded mind, he may come to understand beings that threaten him or the Void on an existential level. These would be beings to kill and never devour, because Kha'Zix would never want to be anything like these most loathsome of creatures.

Quote:
Speaking of parents, what exactly is the concept of parenthood in the void? Do void creatures get it on or do they just sort of come from the same thing.

Does size matter in the void? Im being serious, could Kha take down cho gath? Or would it require a pack of creatures similar to Kha.
The nature of the Void is so terrible and alien that to discuss it here would be a misstep. I do not want a bunch of forumites driven mad by Mal'zahar style visions!

Quote:
How did rengar react to cho gath when they first met? A bit off topic but it interests me. If Kha was a challenge how much does he enjoy fighting cho?

How...eager are the void to cross over? I mean we get the idea that they are just chomping at the bit but if guys like cho, kha and kog can just sort of walts on over what is keeping the others at bay exactly?

Thats enough from me for now.
I do not know if Rengar and Cho have met. Cho's size would likely impress Rengar, possibly making him think of Cho as a greater prize, but I think after pursuing Cho the lack of a personal tie would bring him back to the hunt for Kha'Zix. For Cho's part, he would devour Rengar without a second thought if he had the chance. If he found Rengar to be hunting Void beings, Cho would take a very dim view of that, but he would not get in Kha'Zix's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baneson View Post
How would Kha'zix view a champion that have also 'evolved' beyond their origins such as Rammus? Prey to be consumed or a specimen to be studied?

Also, any insight to what his life was like before crossing-over from the Void? Was he an infantile void creature or did his crossing-over diminish him from his previous form/might?
Consumption and study are the same for Kha'Zix. To understand something, he devours it. Answers about the Void question are further up this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrosn View Post
Kha'zix seems static and one-dimensional. Does he have other skills and interests besides being a devourer.

Does he give back anything meaningful to the Void community?

Or, is being an all consuming predator just his Void nature?
Kha'Zix is the exact opposite of static. He is living change, and he looks at the time he spends not changing the way that we look at time spent in the elevator or waiting in line. His skills are limited only to what he can eat, and while his interest is very focused, it is not focused on consumption. Rather, it is focused on the idea of becoming. Kha'Zix wants to grow and change and adapt, forever; he picks up and discards other interests and agendas only in that they service his endless change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonsio View Post
Kha'Zix himself mentions his "mission" is to devour strong prey and grow from it. Is there any chance that there's something in the Void that doled out said mission?

Follow up question, does he have anything to do with the "Daddy" Kog'Maw mentions in one of his emotes?

Thanks in advance!
The nature of the Void is inscrutable, but clues abound...

Kha'Zix respects and fears Kog'Maw's "daddy". Beyond that, he will not say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imclueless View Post
Do you think Kha'Zix's character is any less compelling by virtue of his goal being unachievable within the League of Legends universe?

To clarify a bit: Kha'Zix wants to hunt down and eat Rengar. He's very cool. BUT, since they are both Champions, this is a literal impossibility. Even if it could happen off in the Plague Jungles somewhere, it could never happen, because they both need to remain characters in the video game. Essentially, the conflict between Kha'Zix and Rengar could reach an eventual end if the Lore wasn't tied to a video game such as this. But, since they both need to remain usable in the game, it can't.

Do you think this detracts from his appeal as a character?

I could ask the same of a few Champions. Rengar himself hunts Kha'Zix. Vayne wants to purge the League of evil magicians, but she faces the same impossibility, in that the characters in the game must remain open for use.

Do you think this futility negatively impacts any of these Champions? If so, what do you think could be done to mitigate it? If not, why not?
To speak to the heart of your point rather than the individual specifics, this is much of why we prefer to focus on the stories of the characters themselves and leave the League up to the players' imaginations. These obstacles you describe are only present if we sit down and say that X and Y happened in Summoner's Rift et cetera. If we focus on the story outside the league and leave the fields of justice to the players' imagination, it works better on all counts.

We give richer characters more room to grow both by ensuring they have better foundation and by making sure we don't limit their potential by, say, preventing resolution to their conflict. This also frees us up to talk more about our champions and the world they live in. Kha'Zix and Rengar are extremely likely to resolve their arc outside the League, but if players want to imagine a League encounter that ends their story, they certainly can--the fields of justice have always been the place in our world where players decide what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbro View Post
Was Kha'Zix originally concepted with evolution?

It seems to be a common theme at this time. (Rengar enhanced QWE, Syndra passive upgrade/evolve skill and now Kha'Zix evolution)

Also does Kha'Zix's launch skin have anything to do with the Glorious Evolution (viktor)?
Yep! Kha'Zix has been in development in varying stages for a long, long time. Far longer than either Rengar or Syndra, actually. Answers to the Glorious Evolution question are earlier in this thread.

Gixia

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thCenturyFaux View Post
We've found it best to leave questions of the League to player imagination and focus ourselves on character-driven stories; the better the character, the more ways to answer those questions. Where we answer those questions ourselves, we often find that it can limit the character.
Limitations frequently breed creativity.

I've asked this before, but it always gets misunderstood, diverted, or ignored. I'd drop it, but the issue keeps getting brought up.

It seems the story is moving further and further away from the League itself, to the point that some champions actually seem to be completely incompatible with it. Is this an intentional change, or does it only look this way because mentions of the the league are disappearing from bios? Once we get these long-awaited 'other sources of lore', will the league return to being a prominent fixture in the story?

If the story IS intentionally moving away from the actual game, is anyone in the lore department concerned about the large disconnect this creates between story and gameplay, and how difficult it is to remain invested in a storyline that grows more and more irrelevant and separate to what we actually get to experience?

I've asked this before, but never gotten a straight answer, and it's an issue I've become more sensitive to and concerned about as of late.

Because, as much as Kha'Zix looks awesome, it's much more difficult to invest in the actual character (as opposed to his mechanics/aesthetics) when it has next to no bearing on anything I'm actually doing with him.

1234567 ... 9