On the originality of various LoL champions.

First Riot Post
123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atalasia

Member

09-16-2010

Champions


Champion Name:
Ezreal

Roots:
Gulliver, from anime Gulliver Boy(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver_Boy)

Similarities:
-Wears a magic glove that shoots magical energies.
-He's an adventurer/explorer



Champion Name:
Sona

Roots:
Hatsune Miku, from a vocaloid(software that sings if a musical score is entered)

Similarities:
-Hair Style, Hair Color
-They both sing




Champion Name:
Pantheon

Roots:
300

Similarities:
-General clothes and the concept.
-He's from Stanpar (switch the position of n and r. then switch the position of t and p)



Items

-Youmuu's Ghostblade

-Wriggle's Lantern

(Not even going to bother. Just look it up)





If it's a general world that it took, I really don't mind. Like Lovecraftian world and ninjas. But really did LoL have to degrade to the state where it has to take stuff from a specific anime/character?

I never thought originality was a strong point of LoL, but I beg. Let's stop this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stenchrot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-16-2010

so?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cold Fusion

Senior Member

09-16-2010

Pantheon clearly isn't based on 300 at all. GG sir.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

Follow babagahnoosh on Twitter

09-16-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalasia View Post
Champions
If it's a general world that it took, I really don't mind. Like Lovecraftian world and ninjas. But really did LoL have to degrade to the state where it has to take stuff from a specific anime/character?

I never thought originality was a strong point of LoL, but I beg. Let's stop this.
If a game world where nods to pop culture isn't something you dig, then I can tell you right now that you won't like how LoL's story will develop over the coming years. I for one an a pop culture fiend, and I know that my compatriots here are into it as well.

You may think originality isn't a strong point of LoL, and by all means you're entitled to your opinion. I never claimed that we're making Shakespeare. What I hope we're making, however, is a world that people can identify with and have fun in, provided it isn't the same fantasy talk-to-the-dude-in-the-tavern-and-start-your-quest stories that's been forced down our throats for years.

I will say this specifically, however: Sona's name has everything to do with sound and nothing to do with whatever Hatsune Miku is. Honestly, I've never heard of that. I assume it's an anime thing?

I ran into a similar issue when I worked on World of Warcraft. In games where pop culture references are used, the accuracy of disseminated information found on wiki sites as to the roots and sources of characters and items are not very accurate. Honestly though, I don't think they should be. A designer may put in a very personal reference that means a lot to them that others aren't supposed to get. As an example, I named a troll in WoW after my late father. I did it as an anagram, and I doubt anyone will ever figure out who it is. I don't care if they do - it's my nod to my dad. Look at it like it's a perk for being a designer.

We're all inspired by the events that affect us in our lives - one way or another. To ask someone not to reflect that in the creative work they do is a challenge, to say the least. Personally, it's creative work I'm not interested in doing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aqueel

Senior Member

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
As an example, I named a troll in WoW after my late father. I did it as an anagram, and I doubt anyone will ever figure out who it is. I don't care if they do - it's my nod to my dad. Look at it like it's a perk for being a designer.
Queue the swarm of fans joining WoW now to find said troll.

Also, to the OP: I'm pretty sure Ezreal is SUPPOSED to be a stereotypical anime pretty-boy. Hell, he even does the Haruhi Suzumiya end theme dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalasia View Post
Champion Name:
Sona

Roots:
Hatsune Miku, from a vocaloid(software that sings if a musical score is entered)

Similarities:
-Hair Style, Hair Color
-They both sing
Sona is mute and can't sing >_>


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necromonger

Senior Member

09-16-2010

Hatsune Miku has a whole other cult of followers, like Morde... but they're MUCH MORE dangerous. If you take the time to check out her vids on Youtube (thousands of them really) I can't help but see visual similarities with Sona. The hair for one, is similar, if not exactly the same.

Some of her popular titles are - "Last Night, Good Night" , "Melt", "Love is War", "World is Mine", "Saihate" to name a few. I kid you not, if you dig anime, you will kneel before the idea that is Miku.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wriggle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalasia View Post
-Wriggle's Lantern

(Not even going to bother. Just look it up)
Nope, I can't find any non-League-of-Legends-related information on a person named Wriggle that has a lantern, could you be more specific please?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cold Fusion

Senior Member

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggle View Post
Nope, I can't find any non-League-of-Legends-related information on a person named Wriggle that has a lantern, could you be more specific please?
Touhou or something like that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lowki

Senior Member

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fusion View Post
Touhou or something like that.
I think you're missing the joke brah.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

T L M

Junior Member

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fusion View Post
Touhou or something like that.
Having played ALL the touhous (heh,) I can tell you it is NOT from touhou.


123