Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CorruptFate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

How do you expect this system to work with language barriers? Its not uncommon to see threads about people who don't speak your language and how hard that can be, and I imagine that on the EU servers its much more difficult than it is here.

You also talked about there being several ways to earn more honor (not sure if you were talking about your spending honor or personal honor though), would one of these ways be tied to the Tribunal? The idea of getting more honor for a string of correct judgments looks like something that just fits the system perfectly.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Sometimes you get a game where everything just goes right. The entire team meshes, nobody rages, everybody's helpful, and they play their roles to perfection. I'm fearful that at times like this, however rare they are, I would deliberately not to honour all my teammates for fear of being picked up by the spam-detecting mechanism. Is this actually a valid concern or do I have nothing to fear??

ArtemusD

09-20-2012

I'm a bit scared, Lyte.

So the friends that I play with, I 'cannot' honor even if I think they deserve it? I usually never queue without one of my friends, and while I understand that it's bad to say megahonor my ranked team members or the friends that I queue with, but it sounds like if I honor one of my skype friends just once, then I'm sent to the moon. Reassure me?

I'm otherwise ecstatic about this!

xFreshness

09-20-2012

Can you get negative honor and a badge that identifies you as a rake or a rogue?

WakeskaterX

09-20-2012

I would high five you guys if riot hired me

Working on expanding my portfolio because... riot is pretty much my dream job lol.

This sounds like a really cool system and I'm interested to see how it pans out and how well it is thought through. Also those algorithms sound interesting.

Looking forward to some positive reinforcement to stop all the babby trawlz.

MathMage

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemus Delphus View Post
I'm a bit scared, Lyte.

So the friends that I play with, I 'cannot' honor even if I think they deserve it? I usually never queue without one of my friends, and while I understand that it's bad to say megahonor my ranked team members or the friends that I queue with, but it sounds like if I honor one of my skype friends just once, then I'm sent to the moon. Reassure me?

I'm otherwise ecstatic about this!
If your friend is genuinely honorable in each of the games where you give him honor, what's the problem?

Mrdemolisher

09-20-2012

Are there plans in place to prevent friends from giving each other free honor all the time, or similar scenarios?
I haven't read all the Riot posts in this thread yet

ArtemusD

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
If your friend is genuinely honorable in each of the games where you give him honor, what's the problem?
Because I imagine that the anti 'honor-or-feed' system in place will no doubt check the recent interactions of whoever you dole honor out to. Since I play nearly all of my games with these people, I don't want to appear like I'm abusing the system.

Crossf1re

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, I would probably not Honor him. The Honor Initiative isn't about skill.
Why not? he didn't berate anyone, he made good calls, and played his role extremely well.

So you have to "talk" to get honor? sounds silly to me. I play many sports in real life competitively and I get very into it during the game and I rarely talk outside of making appropriate calls.

Why would i not deserve honor? because I wasn't super happy every time something went right? Some people choose not to show outward emotion because it breaks their focus and concentration and some people enjoy winning then talking.

ArtemusD

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossf1re View Post
Why not? he didn't berate anyone, he made good calls, and played his role extremely well.

So you have to "talk" to get honor? sounds silly to me. I play many sports in real life competitively and I get very into it during the game and I rarely talk outside of making appropriate calls.

Why would i not deserve honor? because I wasn't super happy every time something went right? Some people choose not to show outward emotion because it breaks their focus and concentration and some people enjoy winning then talking.
Why /would/ you deserve honor?

See when you say something, you get a bunch of options. After a team fight that your team did exceedingly well with, you could say any of the following:

Something mean
Nothing
Something positive

Since you're leaning towards nothing, then you did nothing to deserve special attention to your actions (or lack thereof).

Honor is in place to promote good behavior and a constructive environment